Libba, O'Meara and Crouch

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
OK ... on the podcast The Donkey called him out as part of the "triple lock" ... but can anyone else contemplate a serious case being made against him?

Love Libba as a SuperCoach player and had him from the start two years ago but I've kinda got cold feet in him this year ...

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
OK ... on the podcast The Donkey called him out as part of the "triple lock" ... but can anyone else contemplate a serious case being made against him?

Love Libba as a SuperCoach player and had him from the start two years ago but I've kinda got cold feet in him this year ...

M4TT replied in a different thread:

The only players they mentioned that I'm not so keen on are Lids (love him as a player but the constant talk of niggles combined with a 600K price tag is off putting) and ... Libba (is that crazy? Coming back from the knee and plenty of other guns in the Dogs midfield ... still if he goes OK in the NAB I might feel compelled to take him).
yep that's crazy, Libba doesn't rely on anyone else, or need to stand out to score well. 2014 he was number 1 for clearances, number 1 for tackles and very high up there in contested possessions, his Dad came back from an ACL in record time, we gave Libba extra time so he's 100% perfect and dominating, Wallis has been doing a lot of forward training to help make room for Libba who in 2014 was statistically the BEST inside midfielder in the competition.

You could say "ofcourse you'd say that" afterall I'm a mad Dogs fan, but trust me, Libba isn't a Crouch or O'Meara where you need them to improve on their 2014 average to be worth it, +the factor of racing the clock to get back... Libba's in perfect condition (touch wood) and will come back to dominate. If he doesn't win a brownlow in the next 3 years it'll be because Bontempelli and Stringer will win them all, the guy isn't just a star, he's a superstar

[Just hope he stays off the party drugs.... And if he doesn't, I hope I'm there]

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
At his price and providing he is fit and his knee is 100%, he is an absolute lock. He is a contested ball beast and that won't change. Beams was a lock a couple of years ago and Libba is just as much a lock as he was.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
M4TT replied in a different thread:

The only players they mentioned that I'm not so keen on are Lids (love him as a player but the constant talk of niggles combined with a 600K price tag is off putting) and ... Libba (is that crazy? Coming back from the knee and plenty of other guns in the Dogs midfield ... still if he goes OK in the NAB I might feel compelled to take him).
yep that's crazy, Libba doesn't rely on anyone else, or need to stand out to score well. 2014 he was number 1 for clearances, number 1 for tackles and very high up there in contested possessions, his Dad came back from an ACL in record time, we gave Libba extra time so he's 100% perfect and dominating, Wallis has been doing a lot of forward training to help make room for Libba who in 2014 was statistically the BEST inside midfielder in the competition.

You could say "ofcourse you'd say that" afterall I'm a mad Dogs fan, but trust me, Libba isn't a Crouch or O'Meara where you need them to improve on their 2014 average to be worth it, +the factor of racing the clock to get back... Libba's in perfect condition (touch wood) and will come back to dominate. If he doesn't win a brownlow in the next 3 years it'll be because Bontempelli and Stringer will win them all, the guy isn't just a star, he's a superstar

[Just hope he stays off the party drugs.... And if he doesn't, I hope I'm there]

Nope - not going to call you out for being a Bullies fan. I'm just a bit gun shy because some people take more than the year to fully recover from the knee. I know the training reports are pretty positive so he is definitely still in consideration. Just ... I don't know ... I'm just thinking out loud but there is more people to share the points between at the Bullies now, right?

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I'll just say the same thing again in this thread :p

Libba doesn't rely on anyone else, or need to stand out to score well. 2014 he was number 1 for clearances, number 1 for tackles and very high up there in contested possessions, Tony Liberatore came back from a knee in record time, Tom Libba has had extra time so he's 100% perfect and dominating, Wallis has been doing a lot of forward training to help make room for Libba who in 2014 was statistically the BEST inside midfielder in the competition.

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
At his price and providing he is fit and his knee is 100%, he is an absolute lock. He is a contested ball beast and that won't change. Beams was a lock a couple of years ago and Libba is just as much a lock as he was.
Yeah. Fair enough. Had Beams and Libba that year. I guess if he looks fine in the NAB I'm pretty much going to have to take him. Could break my whole season if /when he fires at that price. I bet against Swan last year and that didn't go too well.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
oh and Libba doesn't have the first bye unlike O'Meara and Crouch... so even if he's not M8 quality he'll still make you $$$ while scoring well and set up a nice side swap through the byes

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
I have re titled this thread @cactus - hope that is ok. I think these 3 returning midpriced midfielders should be discussed together.

Atm I have them ranked:
1. Libba

2. Crouch
3. Omeara

Reactions: M4TT B8S and cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I have re titled this thread @cactus - hope that is ok. I think these 3 returning midpriced midfielders should be discussed together.

Atm I have them ranked:
1. Libba

2. Crouch
3. Omeara

Yeah. That is how I'd line them up. With the emphasis on the gap between Libba and the other two. Libba is a genuine fallen primo. Like Beams and Swan the last couple of years could be season defining and from all reports he seas to be fit.

The other two have never posted at SuperCoach keeper average and in the case of Jägermeister is nowhere near fully fit. Reckon the only way I'm taking him is as a mid-season-el-cheapo the same way I took Wallis last year.

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
He's still a watch for me. Historically players take an extra year to hit back to premium levels after a major injury (ie: just look at Barlow a few seasons back).
My major concerns though are that in his better years he had an in-form Minson giving him first use of the ball. Even if Minson get's back to his better form, he'll be competing with a lot more midfielders this year for his possessions. Dogs have a few tougher opponents early too.
If he has a few hot NAB games, I'll probably be swayed back on him, but at this stage still a watch for me.

Reactions: Dino and cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Completely season defining call for me this one ... argh!

PS. I'm a bit of a sheep. Almost certain to opt in I reckon. :-/

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Haven't listened to the podcast yet so haven't heard all the pros and cons and may be repeating things but...

Libba should be in 100% of sides. Its a no brainer.

Omeara... Rocket has said he's no certainty for round 1 and apparently he still hasn't resumed full training with the main group. Even if he is fit in time, there's no way he will have the conditioning. He will be rested forward a lot while he builds his tank back up.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
If my memory is correct - not a certainty - Libba didn't necessarily need Minson to get his clearances. He had a tactic at stoppages of pushing back into his opponent just before the ball was bounced which gave him the half-second he needed to then move forward to the drop of the ball.
I've almost got him locked in as at his price and with his up-side and rnd.14 bye he is looking good.
My only worry with Libba is what he will do when he isn't on-ball. Will he swap with Wallis up forward?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I still want to see Libba play decent in the NAB game/s before being definite selection,

Crouch again I want to see him play first but im a big fan of him.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
OK. Next question:

Do we take Libba at M5 or torture the rest of our teams to have him at M6. I just we'll have to wait for the rookies to become clear before we can answer that one ...

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
OK. Next question:

Do we take Libba at M5 or torture the rest of our teams to have him at M6. I just we'll have to wait for the rookies to become clear before we can answer that one ...
Recently I've been having him at M5, but I did have teams with him at M6 a while ago but that was when I had Sinclair F3 and Bird F4, which I won't be doing anymore so whole thing doesn't work for me... I like the look of the team with Libba at M5, there's always a few midfield rookies with decent scoring that we can field anyway

Reactions: Prospector

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Gotta have Libba, remember we have only ever seen him play under a defensive coach and system, imagine what he could do with Bevo's game plan.
I've got him M5 for now, but obviously everything is still subject to change for a while yet. Rookies will decide it for me

Reactions: M4TT B8S