Defenders 2016

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
Only 2 elevations. Tippa should be one of them, the other out of Hams, Long and McKenna I would think.

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
For me you cant go past linergan at the price he is. He has solid form at end of last year, has backed that up in the nab cup, has mpp def mid which can be useful sometimes and with swallow out long term will play. At 345k he is well priced imho. Many considering weitering at about 220k but (even with only my carlton eye running over the comparison) i would think lonergan has more potential upside, not in terms of ability but more in relation to the fact that GC plan on using him a la Swallow style so he will be around the ball consistently and they will look to use him, GC's SOS in first half of season i think is better than Carltons (SOS a bit of a pointless indicator the season after a 4 win spoon), GC could be the big mover this year with the quality miss to come back if they hit pre-injury levels which means more wins and usually more SC points spread throughout and for me the main reason he is a lock in my def is he has the rnd 13 bye which fits my bye structure and compared to other r13 defenders i see value. Anyway just my thoughts on him.
As for the others mentioned above especially the Ess defenders i personally have hartley, brown and tippa in my team at the moment with the thought that hartley as D6 and the other two on bench duty. I think browns low nab scores are irrelevant as he will play and increase slowly possibly but will just about always play barring injury so as an emergency at least he gives you something if reqd, has the def/fwd mpp which could be useful and there is a fair chance that he, like the Carlton defenders will see plenty of the ball so more chance to be able to get a score.
As for Tippa - think he will be the rookie upgrade prior to season which would automatically justify his spot, but even if he isnt upgraded prior i am thinking of including him due to $, ability to use him for Cpt loophole (as i think my other 29 play rnd 1 and hopefully every week after) and he also has mpp.
Sorry to babble on but as i only started seriously working on my team a couple of weeks ago i have been dealing with this thought of a relatively cheap backline (3prem/2mid/3rook) to be able to stack the midfield with all the relative premium and u/premium bargains available.
I'll stop now and go review my backs again for the 20th time this weekend. I love SC being back!

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Are you considering aish matt? I have him in at d5 at the moment and think his nab form has been pretty good.
not really, I was listening on the radio to their game yesterday, according to the commentators Aish looked really slow to make decisions, his two nab scores have been 55 and 69 from a lot of gametime

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I like the look of Shaw Laird Bartel on that top line & a Mid price (Lonergan, Sheridan, Z Williams or Rich) at D4, but geez my team looks great elsewhere without Shaw in the team

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
My backline at the moment:
Shaw, Smith, Hurn, Lonergan, Dea, Weitering with Hartley and Brown on the bench.

Been against Shaw but he just looked so good against the Swans it's impossible not to pick him. He might even go 115 this year and be 20 more than anyone else. Certainly no signs of a slow start and getting him cheaper in the first half of the season. Going to be hard to find the cash to get him in if he's $100k more expensive than everyone else.

I'm hoping Smith, Hurn and Lonergan can average 90 and be keepers, or at least be low-priority upgrades late in the year depending on what's happening. I don't see a lot that excites me at the top of the defender list, so hoping a couple of these guys can break into the top 10 this year.

Just for interest, my thoughts on the top 10 priced-defenders:
1 Heath Shaw GWS 22 $607,800 - Can't believe I'm saying it, but almost looking a must-have
2 Matthew Boyd Western Bulldogs 18 $560,900 - Only 18 games last year. Top player but expensive and too risky for scoring and missing games.
3 Jarrad McVeigh Sydney 20 $542,600 - Expensive. Injured at the moment. Swans need him desperately at half-back though. Watching him, he showed signs of decay at the end of last year. Not on my radar at all.
4 Alex Rance Richmond 22 $523,700 - Hard to pick key position players. Will post some big scores but will also post some shockers.
5 Tom McDonald Melbourne 22 $517,500 - See above. For every 140 you'll get a 60 (or 38 like last year...)
6 Bachar Houli Richmond 22 $516,100 - Under consideration. But, for a guy you're paying $500k for he has far too many 60 scores. Prime target for a defensive forward. Will be cheaper at some stage and will look to pick him up then.
6 Corey Enright Geelong 21 $516,000 - Fairly reliable, but too old to consider starting. Will be cheaper through the season.
8 Rory Laird Adelaide 21 $506,200 - Expensive for a guy who's had 1 good scoring year. Bit too risky for mine but might pick him up at sub $450k at some point.
9 Kade Simpson Carlton 20 $500,200 - NAB form terrible. Hard to see him maintaining his average this year.
10 Robert Murphy Western Bulldogs 20 $495,600 - Dependable but hard to see how he can play/average any better than last year.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Marcus Adams been awesome today. Dunkley been very good and was probably top 2 on ground at the start of the 2nd quarter but not sure if he'll get many games once the rest of our midfielders come in. I expect him to play at some point this year, not sure how early though

Collins been good again

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Collins looks very solid. Him getting a regular gig is crucial to my structure so I hope he's in!

Luke Thompson

Mar 6, 2016
Collins looks very solid. Him getting a regular gig is crucial to my structure so I hope he's in!
whats his ceiling? 40-55 max!! are you going to get enough growth from him? Its my big concern. I know he is cheap, but I would rather spend the extra 70k and get Dea

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
whats his ceiling? 40-55 max!! are you going to get enough growth from him? Its my big concern. I know he is cheap, but I would rather spend the extra 70k and get Dea
I got confused between him and Williams haha. Collins is nowhere near my side. My defence is set in stone (I think).

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Do Collins, Adams and Dunkley get picked R1 though?

IMO, Adams does but im not sure on Dunkley and Collins

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Do Collins, Adams and Dunkley get picked R1 though?

IMO, Adams does but im not sure on Dunkley and Collins
Yeah I would agree with that. Either way, if they do get picked their JS going forward is terrible. Plenty of safer options elsewhere.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
So i am currently looking at Adams, Hartley, Brown and Hibberd as back rookies.

Is here anyone else to look at ?

Byrne still needs to be upgraded

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm not convinced that Hibberd will play. Not really sure my guys will either but it's all subject to change with rookies. I've got Broad and Byrne-Jones on the bench. Can always throw Tippa back as well as there seems to be enough forward rookies to go around.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Agree with Steve. Can't see Hibberd getting a game without someone getting injured. I also have Broad. Not sure how his JS is looking though.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Yes have also heard Collins, tipa, Tucker, Weitering mentioned in teams.

Im considering Weitering maybe

Luke Thompson

Mar 6, 2016
Whats the knock on Dea, besides the extra 70k. He went to center bounces and doesn't know how to miss a target. He is a lock in my defense.

Reactions: cactus