Beermonkey

Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 7, 2015
Looking for a discreet place to ask a few questions and pick the brains of the community....

What are people's thoughts on Liam Stocker...has gone under the radar this preseason. He seems to have decent JS, he's playing off half back and has been solid.

With a lot of teams picking Liam Jones, surely stocker is slightly better option especially if rookies end up short.

Any Stkilda fans liking what they've seen?

Reactions: Prospector

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Looking for a discreet place to ask a few questions and pick the brains of the community....

What are people's thoughts on Liam Stocker...has gone under the radar this preseason. He seems to have decent JS, he's playing off half back and has been solid.

With a lot of teams picking Liam Jones, surely stocker is slightly better option especially if rookies end up short.

He's 32!

GFNL Blue Baggers

Perennial Finalists.
Veterans
May 6, 2015
Brisbane, Qld

I’ll throw a question back at you. Besides possibly his JS, what do you like about him? When comparing him to other (experienced) options at his price point, do you see him scoring more points (Bowes or a cheaper McKenna).
I’d just recommend you think about that & if your gut tells you to go that way, do it.
I’d never tell anyone to go against what you really think nor to pick player just because everyone else is. That’s why this game is the best SC game on the planet. Good luck mate.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane

I'm a Sainter and I have no idea as to Stocker's JS.
The club are saying all the right things about him - he's worked hard, done everything asked of him, deserves a place on the list - but he has competition for a small/medium defender spot.
Webster and Paton are our two lock-down small defenders. I doubt he'll displace them.
N W-M will be one HBF distributor, Sinclair the other but he can also lock-down.
Clarke isn't that good defensively but he'll probably split his time between mid and half-back.

Stocker may get a spot as security/back-up to Webster/Paton/Sinclair.
He may get a spot when the Sainters play a team with a lot of small fwds.
Or he may be among the emergencies.

Friday afternoon:
and what do I know? Stocker on field at HBF and Paton an emergency.

Last edited:

Shack

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Mar 14, 2017
Sydney
Was following discord chat but a lot of noise versus game chat.

last last team question I am pondering? Dale would strengthen defence but will Gulden get away from us with a flyer?

Day and Gulden
versus
Dale and Flanders

GFNL Blue Baggers

Perennial Finalists.
Veterans
May 6, 2015
Brisbane, Qld
I’m treating Gulden as someone I can trade down to if he goes large the first two rounds, I’m just not sure if he will be a consistent scorer, high ceiling, based on tria game, but low fooor.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I will say this about the 2023 SC season...I am playing it wildly different from everyone else so I am either going to do really well or really poorly.

I absolutely hate all the midpricers, so I am going with a strategy that can be described as something along the lines of "discounted guns and rookies". I was going 13 premos and 1 midpricer (Yeo). Yeo goes out, so I end up with Worpel as my only midpricer and still at a 13 premo/1midpricer team. I hate this even more. So I see Daicos go off while playing exclusively halfback...which I like and I would've picked him if I knew they weren't going to throw him into the midfield before his body was ready for it.

I cannot believe I am doing this, but I have done a mid-rd1 restructure before I have to burn extra trades to do it. Going a a couple expensive rookies down now, so that I can burn a trade next week to switch Chesser into the mids and flick Worpel up to Daicos . It will give me 14 premos. The positive is I'm not playing one of Wilmot/Cowan/Chesser at D6...but now I'm putting Ratugolea at R3 and using Madden to run an F6 loop between Kade Chandler and Fergus Green until I can fix up that spot.

Oddly, this is the first time I actually feel pretty good about the team...but it's either going to come off really well or just be an absolute disaster with completely stalled cash gen lmao

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Was following discord chat but a lot of noise versus game chat.

last last team question I am pondering? Dale would strengthen defence but will Gulden get away from us with a flyer?

Day and Gulden
versus
Dale and Flanders
That's tough but I'd lean towards Day and Gulden.
There's been lots of talk about Day as mid fielder and he did have 16/31 CBAs in the praccy match.
And the SC gods like him as his 73DT translated into 88SC.

As for Gulden: look closely at his stat,s in the praccy match and he excelled in everything -
18 CBAs; 17 CPs and 27 UPs; 5 tackles; 23 pressure acts; 9 score involvements; 3 goals
His CBAs were 2nd only to Parker; his CPs, UPs. pressure acts and score involvements were team high.
Note he had a team high 23 pressure acts to go with his 45 possies.
He wasn't all offence.
Plus, even with a CP rate of 38.6% he still managed a 71.1% DE with only 5 clangers in his 45 possies.
Of course, it's up to the coaches as to whether he gets the mid time and Sydney don't always do what you'd expect - remember how they (mis-)used Titch?

Dale is a decent safe pick but Flanders is completely unproven at AFL level.
His good SC scores at VFL level came with him as a permanent inside mid. He'll barely get a look-in at AFL level.
Having said that he did score 103 in the praccy match playing mostly wing with only 6/34 CBAs.
And at $256,300 he's cheap for what he might score.

I started with Setterfield, Hopper, Callaghan and Gulden - any of which might become Flanders depending on scores.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
That's tough but I'd lean towards Day and Gulden.
There's been lots of talk about Day as mid fielder and he did have 16/31 CBAs in the praccy match.
And the SC gods like him as his 73DT translated into 88SC.

As for Gulden: look closely at his stat,s in the praccy match and he excelled in everything -
18 CBAs; 17 CPs and 27 UPs; 5 tackles; 23 pressure acts; 9 score involvements; 3 goals
His CBAs were 2nd only to Parker; his CPs, UPs. pressure acts and score involvements were team high.
Note he had a team high 23 pressure acts to go with his 45 possies.
He wasn't all offence.
Plus, even with a CP rate of 38.6% he still managed a 71.1% DE with only 5 clangers in his 45 possies.
Of course, it's up to the coaches as to whether he gets the mid time and Sydney don't always do what you'd expect - remember how they (mis-)used Titch?

Dale is a decent safe pick but Flanders is completely unproven at AFL level.
His good SC scores at VFL level came with him as a permanent inside mid. He'll barely get a look-in at AFL level.
Having said that he did score 103 in the praccy match playing mostly wing with only 6/34 CBAs.
And at $256,300 he's cheap for what he might score.

I started with Setterfield, Hopper, Callaghan and Gulden - any of which might become Flanders depending on scores.
Well said, I agree. I would pick Gulden simply because he has upside keeper potential. I do not believe Dale has much upside...if at all. I think he should get passed by the likes of Daicos/Ridley/etc so I doubt he's even top 6 DEF. Doggies backline is all of a sudden crowded if Caleb Daniel stays back there and Richards stays healthy.

Side note to my previous post...I just realized I am dumb and should not hold Worpel until week 2 because I get a free hit at any mid under $522k since I'm already planning on burning a trade to Daicos. I have chosen Caleb Serong because his first 5 are St Kilda/North/West Coast/Adelaide/Gold Coast and he's going into year 4. Sounds like some random fun.