2020 Forwards

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
Walters isn’t in my team but apparently he’ll be spending lots of time in the midfield to help the kids out. Such an injury risk...

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
If he is fit you have to pick him. His ceiling is too high.
I'd argue he's ceiling isn't high at all, in fact he's probably at it already. Interrupted preseason, role variation, tagging, point-sharing, etc.

Add to that, there's very few players who don't start in the centre square that can average 110+. And if they do, they are rarely able to back it up and almost never over a long period.

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
You can never go by preseason but gee the Petracca has come back looking FIT this year. Running through the midfield, scored 188 in Marsh 1.

In Marsh 2 - if he gets as much midfield time, attends that many centre bounces, and has a half decent score, I think I’ll roll the dice at $441k...

Reactions: keffa

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
You can never go by preseason but gee the Petracca has come back looking FIT this year. Running through the midfield, scored 188 in Marsh 1.

In Marsh 2 - if he gets as much midfield time, attends that many centre bounces, and has a half decent score, I think I’ll roll the dice at $441k...
Yeah I agree. I saw him live at Docklands last year and thought he looked a bit chucky/solid and lacking aerobic capacity. But they've got Darren Burgess there now I think, and if he's got the Trac slimmed down and ready to play in the midfield, then yep, I'm ready to roll that dice too.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Yeah I agree. I saw him live at Docklands last year and thought he looked a bit chucky/solid and lacking aerobic capacity. But they've got Darren Burgess there now I think, and if he's got the Trac slimmed down and ready to play in the midfield, then yep, I'm ready to roll that dice too.

It is exactly what the Dees have been wanting/aiming for.
Hopefully with someone like Burgess at the helm, they will get the results that they want.

Another Dee I'm keeping a close eye on is Vanders sub $250k fwd/mid, will be on the ball and if fit and stays on the park will be a 90 average easy, great stepping stone and mega unique.

Reactions: Happyracoon

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
Walters isn’t in my team but apparently he’ll be spending lots of time in the midfield to help the kids out. Such an injury risk...
He played 22 games last season.

Reactions: Prospector

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
Tarranto injured yesterday = Whitfield might get more midfield time?

Wrong thread I know but it ties into your question - yes, and possibly more mid time for Zac Williams and maybe an earlier debut for Tom Green.

Nobody seemed confident that Taranto would be back any time soon.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I wouldn’t think so, different types of players. Whitfield very much an outside runner and is rarely if ever at centre bounces, where Taranto is more the contested ball winner type.

If Taranto misses significant time I imagine it means more opportunity for Caldwell/Hately/Green types. Or maybe Williams or T. Greene roll through the middle more often

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Agree with @J-Dog. Whitfield is an outside runner, the best link-man at GWS. He's never been an inside-mid type.
Cameron has said he'll be spending more time down back this year so I expect him to play a hbf/wing role.

Reactions: AlLewis

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
Anyone actually seriously tempted by Darcy MacPherson at $443k? Marsh scores of 132 (79% TOG) and 127 (83% TOG). He played all 22 games last year at an average of 81 and averaged 87 after round 8.

In his two Marsh games, he kicked 0.3 and 1.2 - he’s hitting the scoreboard but has been super inaccurate, there’s more points up for grabs there. He did have 6 Free Kicks For in Marsh 1 which jacked up his score a little. Disposal efficiency of 64% across both games.

Currently in 4% of teams, including mine, am I nuts?

Reactions: AlLewis

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
Anyone actually seriously tempted by Darcy MacPherson at $443k? Marsh scores of 132 (79% TOG) and 127 (83% TOG). He played all 22 games last year at an average of 81 and averaged 87 after round 8.

In his two Marsh games, he kicked 0.3 and 1.2 - he’s hitting the scoreboard but has been super inaccurate, there’s more points up for grabs there. He did have 6 Free Kicks For in Marsh 1 which jacked up his score a little. Disposal efficiency of 64% across both games.

Currently in 4% of teams, including mine, am I nuts?
He’s looked a lot better than Greenwood and covers the ground so well. I think he’s looked really good. I wonder if he might be a player that scores well in positive game scripts, when they are up, but scores poorly when they are up against tougher teams.

Reactions: Drumpf

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
He played 22 games last season.

Yeah I noticed that when I checked his stats out more closely. It really surprised me as when I was an owner I always remember him having so many niggles and bandages on all the time. I’m currently giving him serious consideration as I think the midfield will need him a stack this year!

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017

It’ll be interesting to see here he plays this weekend. Williams is under an injury cloud I think so I reckon he might be used in the back half a bit, unless they really let Ash fill the Williams role. I’d love to pick Williams but an Achilles injury...?

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
He’s looked a lot better than Greenwood and covers the ground so well. I think he’s looked really good. I wonder if he might be a player that scores well in positive game scripts, when they are up, but scores poorly when they are up against tougher teams.

I’ve gone off Greenwood a little. A contested beast yes but I think he lacks a little footy instinct for finding it.

Fair point on being up when their up, having said that I’m feeling pretty good about the 87 average after round 8 last year. They did lose something like their last 17-18 games or thereabouts.

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
I’ve gone off Greenwood a little. A contested beast yes but I think he lacks a little footy instinct for finding it.

Fair point on being up when their up, having said that I’m feeling pretty good about the 87 average after round 8 last year. They did lose something like their last 17-18 games or thereabouts.
Is an 87 average enough for you though? He needs to be a keeper at that price. Do you rate him over other even cheaper options Ceglar, Smith, Steven and Brayshaw?

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
Is an 87 average enough for you though? He needs to be a keeper at that price. Do you rate him over other even cheaper options Ceglar, Smith, Steven and Brayshaw?

87 is not enough, I’m banking on some improvement given that he’s only 22 still. I’d be hoping for a 95.

I don’t mind all of the players you’ve listed. I’m not picking Devon Smith, he didn’t play midfield until the Dons got desperate in Marsh 1. They were missing as many as 4-5 preferred options when he finally went into the middle. Ceglar would be the one for me if I don’t pick Darcy.