2017 Supercoach Scoring

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
As I am new to forum discussion, I am unsure where to post this.
Since this thread is about SC scoring, I figure I would post here.
This is my 4th year (not consecutive) of SC. In past years my 1st round score was a measly 1700 - 1860. This year, I have managed a 1st round score of 2154.
I see comments regarding changes in the scoring compared to previous years. I have never looked into (or understood) how the final score for a player is calculated. I have only gone by possession, goals, behinds that a player gets in a game. And I make my choices based on those 3 things.

So if there have been any major changes in the calculations of the SC scoring for this year, which is different to previous years, I would not notice it.
Therefore I have no idea if my higher 1st round score this year is a result of the changes.
Your improvement surely comes from being part of this forum, just kev!

Reactions: Steve

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Yup, you're right, I needed to scroll down and read the fine print (it was under a section called "The Champion Data Difference" and not under "How You'll Score Points"); so maybe this whole thread was my bad...apologies. It was a fun thought experiment I guess. What I really wonder is why the stats they published last year don't fully match the stats they published last year?

They say there are 50+ acts that score. Their quote for not publishing the whole list is kind of funny: "The main ways for your starting 22 to earn points for your SuperCoach team are listed on the right. Due to the large number of factors affecting scoring, we cannot publish the full system." I wonder if metres gained and other stats like it are only involved in the scaling at the end? It would make a bit more sense as to why they can't really put all their stats in a chart and put defined values on them.
I think they deliberately don't publish the full detail, but I'm sure it changes year-to-year, Seppo!

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I think that CD do rate spoils reasonably highly:
May: 63DT 123SC - 13 x 1%; Andrews: 34DT 83SC - 16 x 1%; Rowe: 36DT 72SC - 15 x 1%;
But Thompson (Nth) had only 4 x 1% and 0 x CM but 58DT 88SC. I can't see what else he did to rate the SC score.
I also watched the GCS v Brisbane game and Lynch was beaten on the day by Andrews. He ended up with 72DT and 101SC off the back of 3 goals, 2 x CM, 5 x marks inside 50. But in my opinion it was undeserved.

In sum, I think figuring out the CD scoring system is nigh on impossible.
What we can do, and what I try to do, is:
identify which players CD rates highly because those players will almost always have a very good SC->DT ratio: Ablett, Fyfe, Bontompelli, Jellwood, JP Kennedy, Pendlebury. Always worth picking because they often score well even on minimal possessions.
identify which players CD does not rate as highly, ie a lower SC->DT ratio: eg Rockliffe, Steven, Adams, Grundy (Coll). Can be worth picking depending upon circumstances, eg Adams as defender, Rocky simply due to the number of possessions he gets.
identify which players are likely to be more highly rated by CD this year. Not easy but reading the Prospectus and listening to Pure Footy on SEN helps. Or note which players are being talked up by the experts and so likely to be more noted by CD when they play. Lynch (GC) is one such: talked up by Derm and others as one of the best players in the AFL. Of course CD are likely to rate anything he does highly.

Sometimes I follow my own guidelines, sometimes I don't.
I didn't pick Lynch. I picked Treloar over Pendlebury - due to injury concerns, but still.
But part of the reason I picked Nankervis was because in the Propectus it said that he is a CD favourite.

Last edited:

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
I think that CD do rate spoils reasonably highly:
May: 63DT 123SC - 13 x 1%; Andrews: 34DT 83SC - 16 x 1%; Rowe: 36DT 72SC - 15 x 1%;
But Thompson (Nth) had only 4 x 1% and 0 x CM but 58DT 88SC. I can't see what else he did to rate the SC score.
I also watched the GCS v Brisbane game and Lynch was beaten on the day by Andrews. He ended up with 72DT and 101SC off the back of 3 goals, 2 x CM, 5 x marks inside 50. But in my opinion it was undeserved.

In sum, I think figuring out the CD scoring system is nigh on impossible.
What we can do, and what I try to do, is:
identify which players CD rates highly because those players will almost always have a very good SC->DT ratio: Ablett, Fyfe, Bontompelli, Jellwood, JP Kennedy, Pendlebury. Always worth picking because they often score well even on minimal possessions.
identify which players CD does not rate as highly, ie a lower SC->DT ratio: eg Rockliffe, Steven, Adams, Grundy (Coll). Can be worth picking depending upon circumstances, eg Adams as defender, Rocky simply due to the number of possessions he gets.
identify which players are likely to be more highly rated by CD this year. Not easy but reading the Prospectus and listening to Pure Footy on SEN helps. Or note which players are being talked up by the experts and so likely to be more noted by CD when they play. Lynch (GC) is one such: talked up by Derm and others as one of the best players in the AFL. Of course CD are likely to rate anything he does highly.

Sometimes I follow my own guidelines, sometimes I don't.
I didn't pick Lynch. I picked Treloar over Pendlebury - due to injury concerns, but still.
But part of the reason I picked Nankervis was because in the Propectus it said that he is a CD favourite.

Some fantastic insights here however I can't agree with you that CD sit back, listen to media commentary and then pump up a players score accordingly...
Adams, Rockliff, Steven, Grundy etc all don't score that well in SC because they turn the ball over consistently by foot and rack up a lot of uncontested ball.
The bont, JPK, Pendles, Fyfe etc will always have higher SC scores than DT because they are inside beasts who get a lot of contested footy and use it well coming out.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
I don't think anything has really changed from last year at all in relation to scoring. The live scoring was stuffed all weekend and resulted in seemingly outlandish scaling at the end of matches giving a distorting feeling to the results.

I got this back from SuperCoach Support today:

"Apologies for some inconsistencies with live scores, our provider Champion Data was experiencing technical issues during Round 1. We are however closely working together with them to improve the service moving forward."

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
I don't think anything has really changed from last year at all in relation to scoring. The live scoring was stuffed all weekend and resulted in seemingly outlandish scaling at the end of matches giving a distorting feeling to the results.

I got this back from SuperCoach Support today:

"Apologies for some inconsistencies with live scores, our provider Champion Data was experiencing technical issues during Round 1. We are however closely working together with them to improve the service moving forward."
Yeah I think it's pretty clear the live scores have been totally rooted in round 1. I did notice consistently incorrect scores and then super low scores, and then back to normal. I even sent a mate a screenshot of Fyffe on 41 when freo were 6 points and Geelong 1 points a few minutes into the first quarter and then suddenly he's on 16. It was also consistent between fanfooty and the SuperCoach app. I still have the screenshot on my phone.

Live hq don't even get me started. Wouldn't even work!! Submitted a ranting email and I'll be asking for a refund on my subscription as well

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Yeah I think it's pretty clear the live scores have been totally rooted in round 1. I did notice consistently incorrect scores and then super low scores, and then back to normal. I even sent a mate a screenshot of Fyffe on 41 when freo were 6 points and Geelong 1 points a few minutes into the first quarter and then suddenly he's on 16. It was also consistent between fanfooty and the SuperCoach app. I still have the screenshot on my phone.

Live hq don't even get me started. Wouldn't even work!! Submitted a ranting email and I'll be asking for a refund on my subscription as well

LiveHQ has moved on the heraldsun website so using the old link won't work. You have to click through on the heraldsun home page to the match centre.

Freako had the right scores I believe so I'm not sure that it was CDs fault

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I noticed that Fantasy Freako had a reply on Twitter yesterday where he said that players don't receive points for clearances. That is fairly surprising, but I guess they get a guaranteed contested possession and then probably the 2 points for a "gather from hitout" which replaces the need to score clearances.

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
ah g
LiveHQ has moved on the heraldsun website so using the old link won't work. You have to click through on the heraldsun home page to the match centre.

Ah great thanks.

Yeah the supercoach app and fanfooty were both getting the scores wrong unless you think fyffe really was on 41 after 1 goal was scored.

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017

hey i've had a look for what you're talking about but couldn't find it. You can't paste a link for me can ya bro?

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Whether or not the live scoring was working or not, there seemed to be some very curious scoring trends on the weekend.
I found that, ie, Sandilands scoring 108 when he had 20 hitouts to advantage (meant to be +5) very interesting... It's going to be intriguing to sit back on Thursday night and monitor the live scoring (if they have this up and running yet) and see if there is a difference to past years...

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
Whether or not the live scoring was working or not, there seemed to be some very curious scoring trends on the weekend.
I found that, ie, Sandilands scoring 108 when he had 20 hitouts to advantage (meant to be +5) very interesting... It's going to be intriguing to sit back on Thursday night and monitor the live scoring (if they have this up and running yet) and see if there is a difference to past years...
Yeah it was not only up and down. It there were some strange results. Take laird, 42 possessions and at the end of the game said about 117. Then the corrected scores came out 147.

And I'll mention again the scores being high and revised low during the actual gameplay