X vs Y

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
The pure mid JPK every day of the week for me.

At the start of the year would you of put a MF in a precious mid spot?
I know I wouldn't and still won't.

Moosey wouldn't normally look at the option of a dpp in a mid spot for pure points but with my kiss of death so far on (bartel, gaj, bennell, kelly to name a few) it was looking like a necessary evil.
Didn't do it though and it worked out, now though looking at a "good" dpp for my m9, i.e better than steele or krak. Is that silly or should i persevere with them there and hope they aren't necessary.
After a quick Lonie - Hodge with some dpp magic and Cripps to Lewis in the mids will leave me with 5 trades 170k and what i consider a full premo team bar Saad in D6 who will move to D7 the week after.

the big question this time of year, trade for bench coverage (for lti's) or hold trades for lti's?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Similar boat to me I'll have 5 trades left after my upgrades, looks like I'm going to have to keep one of Cripps or Wallis and Motlop or Bont as F6 and benches that look like

Hamling/Pearce, Edwards
Lambert, Saad, Glenn
Cox
Steele, Mckernan

Not too inspiring but got to keep them trades for emergencies I think

circlework

Jul 6, 2015
The Hawks have Freo, Sydney, Richmond, West Coast , Geelong and Port in their sights.

They need to perform against these sides to cement their spot in the top 4... And who stands up better than anybody in important games? Hodge.

Hodge is a must for me. Lock him in!

Mick

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Like houli but strongly considering rance as an alternative with the extra $60k. Backline upgrades can be hit and miss and makes me think an underpriced option is the way to go

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
Hodge If you have a dpp link def/mid as opens swap potential in case of ltis and limited trades. I have yeo mack Saad and possibly hodge so could be a valuable link. Wish I had kept newnes not Saad now but wouldn't have got houli so sliding doors really.

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
Like houli but strongly considering rance as an alternative with the extra $60k. Backline upgrades can be hit and miss and makes me think an underpriced option is the way to go

Yeah I like the Rance pick but he's started to trend upwards in price after a few big weeks, so I feel like I've missed the boat on getting him as a bargain and that it's only a matter of time until he puts in two weeks of sub 70 scores and becomes annoying!

I suppose that's the story with any of these defenders though.

I'm thinking I might go for Houli now and then asses the Hodge selection over the next few weeks (I can fit both in my team if I have enough cash - I also want to bring in Ablett).

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm weighing up the pros and cons... I don't mind the Rance pick and he is still cheap enough to get in for Oxley. But from here he might average what... 90? Oxley might average 80 with the Pies having an ok run from here. Is it worth the trade for a net gain of 80 points over the next 8 weeks?

I would love to bring Hodge in but don't have the cash for both that and Gaz in 2 weeks. To break it right down, basically it comes down to having Gaz and Oxley or Hodge and someone like Lewis or Sidey, with the second option costing me an extra trade. I'm leaning towards the first option. I'll be thankful for the extra trade in a few weeks time.

Hondo

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 28, 2015
I'm looking at KK for Oxley

The Suns are 100 x better with Gaz back and have a good short term draw

Reactions: TomCat

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I have Bennell issues, waiting for more news but doubt he'll be playing, heard earlier the club doesn't want him to play but the players association are trying to get him back in

If he doesn't play is Gunston a legitimate option? We all know the bigger guys take a couple years to settle in, is this his year? I know the risks with picking a true forward however he's had 2 scores under 86 for the season, a 70 and a 22 and only cheap because of his lowest score 3 weeks ago (averaging 97 without that 22)... the 80k it gives me is like doing a downgrade and therefore effectively saving me a trade when/if a lower premium gets injured so I can go straight up to a top of the range pick

Reactions: Fitzroy Guerrilla

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
Maybe not a bad idea @M4TT B8S. It's a bit of a punt, but if you're making $80k and Gunston scores well over the rest of the year, you'd be happy with that result.

You'd be wanting no less than a 90 average from him. At least Gunston appears less likely to get a rest game than the other veterans at Hawthorn and they probably can't afford to have him miss with Roughead having been out along with other key position players.

Roughead might be back soon, but I wonder if his absence will have a negative impact on Gunston's scoring? Gunston's a great runner, so he's still a tough match-up even if he does get the best defender each week.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
If I get a definitive answer from GC how long Bennell is out for it will make my decision making much easier

probably better off getting Franklin or Goddard next week, also means I can wait another week because those 2 both have high breakevens