Upgrade Targets

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Heath Shaw the main one who I'll be looking at early I think. Dropped around $30K already and will drop more. If I can get him at about $500K in two or three weeks I'll be pretty pleased. Then I'll have collected the full set of Doc, Shaw, Adams, and Laird.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Heath Shaw the main one who I'll be looking at early I think. Dropped around $30K already and will drop more. If I can get him at about $500K in two or three weeks I'll be pretty pleased. Then I'll have collected the full set of Doc, Shaw, Adams, and Laird.
That round 13 bye will be tricky with 3 of those missing. How will your other lines be looking that round?

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
I'm eyeing off Laird Jelwood and JJK. Laird and JJK will drop significantly in price over the next couple of weeks and Jelwood is just a jet with a good bye and is a POD

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Heater also with a 174 BE this week. The interesting one for me is Jake Lloyd currently sitting 4th in defenders

Reactions: Tandy

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Heater also with a 174 BE this week. The interesting one for me is Jake Lloyd currently sitting 4th in defenders
Yup. Good call. I'm happy that Doc, Shaw, Adams and Laird should all be top six or just outside. I'm certainly watching Lloyd with interest but I'd like to be a little more confident with what is happening Sydney. Roles may change a bit when more players are back in the next few weeks?

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I'm reluctant to take Shaw this year at all. Averaging 87 off his last 14 games - extending back to halfway through last year. At that rate he's not even a top 10 defender. I need to see a lot more from over a sustained period of time before I consider him this year, by which time he probably won't be cheap. Can't see myself picking him up anytime soon.

Doc, Lloyd and Laird look like the good picks. Probably JJ as well, but waiting to see on that one.

Reactions: cactus

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I'm reluctant to take Shaw this year at all. Averaging 87 off his last 14 games - extending back to halfway through last year. At that rate he's not even a top 10 defender. I need to see a lot more from over a sustained period of time before I consider him this year, by which time he probably won't be cheap. Can't see myself picking him up anytime soon.

Doc, Lloyd and Laird look like the good picks. Probably JJ as well, but waiting to see on that one.
I agree Shaw is no longer that must have, but I'd still back him to go close to 100 this year so I do want him at some point. If he drops really low early I may not be able to ignore him. The problem for me is I already have the two rd 13 bye players in Adams and Laird. I am actually pretty keen to see how far Simmo drops. He may very well turn into my first trade target down back. I already have Doch, so I probably only want one of Simmo, Lloyd, and JJ early.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm keeping a close eye on Bernard Vince, playing with a busted toe at the moment.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Wont take Shaw long to get to the price you want. He will hit 480k after this upcoming round if he scores 81.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Wont take Shaw long to get to the price you want. He will hit 480k after this upcoming round if he scores 81.
Ugh can't believe I picked him over Adams. This might be my last year with Heater I think.

Early thoughts are Taranto to Bont this week. My team is full of inconsistency and underformers so it's time to go for the reliable types.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Ugh can't believe I picked him over Adams. This might be my last year with Heater I think.

Early thoughts are Taranto to Bont this week. My team is full of inconsistency and underformers so it's time to go for the reliable types.
Will most likely be my last year with him also. He has been a great servant for our teams but with the likes of Doch, Laird, JJ, Lloyd, Howe, Williams, there are more than enough quality replacements.

Reactions: Steve and cactus

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
Thoughts on Simpson? Doesn't seem to be getting as much of it as last year and maybe playing a different role with all the new kids in the blues...

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
I think people are overeating about Shaw. He scored 118 in the first round because the ball was down in the backline often, rd 2 they played Gold Coast and the ball was barely in the defensive 50 in the first half and when he started to rack up some possies it was in the second half so CD didn't reward him full points. Rd 3 he was solid Vs North and last weekend he was on track for a 100 until he copped a knock..
Was it a mistake to start him? Absolutely. However it would be an even bigger mistake to trade or to ignore..

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
I think people are overeating about Shaw. He scored 118 in the first round because the ball was down in the backline often, rd 2 they played Gold Coast and the ball was barely in the defensive 50 in the first half and when he started to rack up some possies it was in the second half so CD didn't reward him full points. Rd 3 he was solid Vs North and last weekend he was on track for a 100 until he copped a knock..
Was it a mistake to start him? Absolutely. However it would be an even bigger mistake to trade or to ignore..
He averaged 90 odd in the second half of last year. Is he going to be a top 6 defender? Possibly not. Would I use a trade to fix that? Hell no.

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Thoughts on Simpson? Doesn't seem to be getting as much of it as last year and maybe playing a different role with all the new kids in the blues...
His 106.4av last year was 13.7 more than 2015 and 10+ more than every other year he's played except 2010 when he averaged 99.8.
He's looking slow, to me. Getting by on footy smarts. He's also turning 33 in May.

I'd wait and see how he goes but I don't expect better than about a 95 max from him.

Reactions: cactus and AlLewis

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I agree. Just wait for him to post a couple of decent scores. His price will stabilise. Then hop on before his price starts to rise.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Are you saying we're going Colin Sylvia about him?

I'm not ruling him out, but I'm also not rushing to bring him in either. Yes he can go massive, but he can also go sub-50. I think we've got plenty of options at without him.

Reactions: Dino