Trades before Round 5

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
After the failed gamble that was round 4 some things to ponder going into round 5.

Injuries: Ryan, Murphy, Kelly. Non playing: Barry

Long term top 8/10: Howe (Coll) and Billings

Looking to bring in Coffield. Another high priced rookie but he looks the goods ATM. He will get games, but also likely to get a rest eventually.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Pondering lots of things:
- LDU and Brayshaw out (have kitty to upgrade one to premium, likely Oliver and do the other one down to Coffield)
- Billings to McLean or R.Gray
- Martin to Grundy - early indications suggest Grundy is going to average >20 more than Martin and be the #1 ruckman this year, so seeing this as an upgrade from a premium to an uber-premium rather than a sideways trade. Both have similar BE's, so can wait until next week to decide, but need to think about it while the price difference isn't extreme.

Rookies - looks like we only have one bubble-boy this week with Coffield at the elevated price. However, Mirra, Cunico and Guelfi all looked good and will be on the bubble next week. Thoughts on these options?

Also, instead of a particular player, can we have the option to trade in Liam Jones' opponent? Brown 168 (75 at quarter-time!!!), Treloar 105, Lynch 180 and Riewoldt 101. On a serious note, does Ben Brown does actually look a legitimate top 6 forward contender this year? #can'tplayonLiamJoneseveryweek

Mark185

Feb 22, 2018
Kreuzer to Grundy is something I’m considering. That groin niggles looks to be taking its toll on Kreuzer. Grundy could be by far the best ruck this season. Issue is that this move depleted my Danger fund.

I was at the Hawks game yesterday. Mirra was so cool and calm for a debut. By far best defender on field. Hopefully he continues to be picked because he’ll make cash!

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Have 300k in the kitty after downgrading Armitage last week to Richards and Ryan down to Henry. Looking to make just the one trade this week pending teams of course and that is Dahlhaus for young Brayshaw. Dahlhaus really fits well with my bye structure and also gives me the ability to move into mids and fwds his price is almost rock bottom.

Was planning on using this cash on Danger but the temptation to snag Dahl now is itching me hehe

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Have 300k in the kitty after downgrading Armitage last week to Richards and Ryan down to Henry. Looking to make just the one trade this week pending teams of course and that is Dahlhaus for young Brayshaw. Dahlhaus really fits well with my bye structure and also gives me the ability to move into mids and fwds his price is almost rock bottom.

Was planning on using this cash on Danger but the temptation to snag Dahl now is itching me hehe
I'll have a similar amount of cash and will probably just wait for Zerrett next week.

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
Billings. Sh*tting me up the wall, big time.

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to keep him now. It's a waste of a trade to use your cash to upgrade him to a better performing premium.

Worst case scenario is Billings will be my F6, and just gotta pray at some stage he turns it arounds. Would rather keep him and trade a maxed out rookie.

Looking at Brayshaw to Coffield this week.

I'm tempted to trade Bonner as well. Hasn't been convincing at all since round 1. May give him one more week though.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Billings. Sh*tting me up the wall, big time.

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to keep him now. It's a waste of a trade to use your cash to upgrade him to a better performing premium.

Worst case scenario is Billings will be my F6, and just gotta pray at some stage he turns it arounds. Would rather keep him and trade a maxed out rookie.

Looking at Brayshaw to Coffield this week.

I'm tempted to trade Bonner as well. Hasn't been convincing at all since round 1. May give him one more week though.

Yeah Billings is a tough one I think the saints will turn it around only been 4 weeks and Billings is too talented to stay down. Im with you on Bonner, Pittard back soon worries me and apart from round one he hasn't hit a score. With a B/E of around 60 might be time to move him on

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
Melbourne's run over the coming weeks includes gold cost, st Kilda and Carlton.

Tempted by a side swap of Kelly to Oliver. Would like some more info from GWS

Likely trade Brayshaw to coffield this week and Ryan to guelfi next week.

Reactions: Prospector

Northerner

Apr 27, 2017
Melbourne's run over the coming weeks includes gold cost, st Kilda and Carlton.

Tempted by a side swap of Kelly to Oliver. Would like some more info from GWS

Likely trade Brayshaw to coffield this week and Ryan to guelfi next week.
Wayne Campbell interviewed on GWS website. Kelly is a week to week proposition. He’ll carry the groin for a while. Said they’ll be cautious which suggests another week out, but clearly high risk of missing games and being a late out risk throughout the season whenever he is named. I think he’s out for me.

Also, we may have another on the bubble this weekend. Langdon making a faster recovery from hand injury and is a real chance to be named this week.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Wayne Campbell interviewed on GWS website. Kelly is a week to week proposition. He’ll carry the groin for a while. Said they’ll be cautious which suggests another week out, but clearly high risk of missing games and being a late out risk throughout the season whenever he is named. I think he’s out for me.

Also, we may have another on the bubble this weekend. Langdon making a faster recovery from hand injury and is a real chance to be named this week.
Kelly definitely off the watch list for now.

I kept ZGL so would be good to see him back.

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018

Thanks for the info @Northerner - the more I think about it I'll be trading as well.

Reactions: Captain Danger

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
I know Grundy is killing it at the moment, but we are only 4 rounds in and 611k is a crap load to pay for a ruckman. He does look good but I highly doubt he will maintain that price throughout the year. I can understand people bringing him in if one of their ruckmen is injured but I'd be keeping the faith in your R2 if he is fit for a while yet.

I'll be looking at bringing Grundy in after the byes and hopefully when his price has dipped a bit.

My focus is to focus on upgrading/downgrading maxed out rookies at this stage.

I'd rather use cash in my kitty to upgrade rookies early as opposed to sideswapping or slightly upgrading premos.

Reactions: Centroprise

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Grundy is interesting. His stats aren't much different to last year, only significant differences are 3-4 more disposals and clearances per game. Currently he's ranked in the top 10 across the comp for contested possessions and clearances, so he's actually as much a midfielder as he is a ruck. Will that continue? Well, it's not like teams can tag him. Perhaps they could look at other ways to nullify him. Certainly while he's in this form, Bucks would be a fool to send him forward.

The second half of last year he was averaging around 105. So him jumping up to a 120+ average is not completely outrageous and that's what I'm locking him in for. In fact, I'm thinking he might be able to keep up a 125+ average. I'm not convinced we'll see him below $650k again this season if he stays fit. With the way he plays, it's hard to see him having any absolute shockers, his down games might be 90-100.

Then you look at everyone else. Martin has only looked great in one game against Port. Other than that he's been good without being great and heading for a 105 average at best. Kruz, Goldy, NicNat look like they'll struggle to do significantly better than 105. You'd think Sinclair is unable to sustain what he's doing. The rest don't look like hitting 100.

My big call for 2018 - Grundy is the #1 ruck (top 3 across all lines) and finishes 5-10 points clear of Gawn with everyone else 20 points behind.

Reactions: Prospector

Nicko

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 16, 2017
What to do with goldy and hibbo? Have only used 1 trade, will hold billings.

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
Grundy is interesting. His stats aren't much different to last year, only significant differences are 3-4 more disposals and clearances per game. Currently he's ranked in the top 10 across the comp for contested possessions and clearances, so he's actually as much a midfielder as he is a ruck. Will that continue? Well, it's not like teams can tag him. Perhaps they could look at other ways to nullify him. Certainly while he's in this form, Bucks would be a fool to send him forward.

The second half of last year he was averaging around 105. So him jumping up to a 120+ average is not completely outrageous and that's what I'm locking him in for. In fact, I'm thinking he might be able to keep up a 125+ average. I'm not convinced we'll see him below $650k again this season if he stays fit. With the way he plays, it's hard to see him having any absolute shockers, his down games might be 90-100.

Then you look at everyone else. Martin has only looked great in one game against Port. Other than that he's been good without being great and heading for a 105 average at best. Kruz, Goldy, NicNat look like they'll struggle to do significantly better than 105. You'd think Sinclair is unable to sustain what he's doing. The rest don't look like hitting 100.

My big call for 2018 - Grundy is the #1 ruck (top 3 across all lines) and finishes 5-10 points clear of Gawn with everyone else 20 points behind.

Fair enough, I'd prefer to give him at least half the year to confirm I'm happy to pay absolute top $ for him, even if it means sacrificing another 40k.

Certainly has the makings to do so, not doubting that, but he isn't a proven supercoach star like your Cox's or Goldstein's, so I'm happy to just sit for a while.

FWIW, I've currently got Nank as R2. He isn't convincing at all but I didn't want to pay top $ for an R2 I wasn't sure about and wanted to save that money early on so I could have a structure I was comfortable with.

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
What to do with goldy and hibbo? Have only used 1 trade, will hold billings.
Caveat. I don't own Goldy nor hibbo, but do own billings.

Ask yourself why you are keeping billings, but want to consider trading the other two.

Depending on what you are playing for, leagues vs overall will influence you decision.

Personally I play for leagues. Side swapping now based on poor form is a no for me.

I got tempted least week to side swap Dev Smith to McClean because of the point scoring differencE and wanting to try and keep pace with everyone else. I lost focus. at this stage of the season you need to stay focused on how best to upgrade your team to full premo as soon as possible.

We all make mistakes and if you feel better making the side ways move do it. It's your team, play it your way.

Reactions: luke394

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I think I'm trading Goldy. He will be lucky to average 90. Giving up 20+ points a week on one player (Grundy to avg 110+) is a killer.

I also have Hibberd and Billings, and as frustrating as they are, I dont think they will hurt as much given their higher ownership.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Caveat. I don't own Goldy nor hibbo, but do own billings.

Ask yourself why you are keeping billings, but want to consider trading the other two.

Depending on what you are playing for, leagues vs overall will influence you decision.

Personally I play for leagues. Side swapping now based on poor form is a no for me.

I got tempted least week to side swap Dev Smith to McClean because of the point scoring differencE and wanting to try and keep pace with everyone else. I lost focus. at this stage of the season you need to stay focused on how best to upgrade your team to full premo as soon as possible.

We all make mistakes and if you feel better making the side ways move do it. It's your team, play it your way.

If underperforming premo's are POD's every week in your leagues and are losing you matches then that could be reason to side swap and cut your losses, I rode Shaw out for all of last year and it killed me, wish I traded him earlier when the signs were there. We do have 30 trades so a few side swaps is ok if you still have plenty in reserve for full premo status and some spares for injuries come finals time. Finishing top 4 in leagues is crucial as well that extra chance can be so handy. Just food for thought :)

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
FYI
Fantasy Freako‏@FantasyFreako just advised via twitter that Brodie Grundy averages a career-low 69 #SuperCoach points vs Essendon across his career.
Thats irrelevant this year imo, the past couple times Mason Cox has played against us which in the past has hampered Grundy's scoring but Cox doesn't seem to be affecting his scores at all now and before that Grundy was not really SC relevant.

I'm going with what will probably be the 2 most popular trades this week.

Brayshaw > Coffield and Kreuzer > Grundy

Kreuze looks shot and this might be the last opportunity to get Grundy in a straight swap. The #1 ruck for the year has presented himself early and it's time to jump on!