top 10 defenders

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Every year I struggle at picking my backline, and I'm wondering who the community thinks will be the top 10 defenders by seasons end!

Name your top 10 below, doesn't have to be numerical ordered

My top 10

Rory Laird
Kade Kolodjashnij
Bachar Houli
Heath Shaw
Jimmy Bartel
Kade Simpson
Alex Rance
Garrick Ibbotson
Matthew Boyd
Dylan Roberton

GhostWhoWalks

Mar 5, 2016
Some of those names may well be in the top 10 defenders by average, but they won't all play 22 games especially some of the older guys.

Top 10 by total points in 2016 didn't include Boyd for instance.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
top 10 total score or top 10 average?

I would include Macca and Birchall if average

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
top 10 total score or top 10 average?

I would include Macca and Birchall if average

top 10 average

that's just my predictions, created the post to find out who the scc community thinks will be top 10 defenders on average

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I'm not going to even try and predict that many. I need to predict 4/10 for my team and I can't even confidently do that. I am happy with Shaw and Laird. Sheridan and Rich are the other two defenders I have at the moment, I think they can both potentially reach top 10, but not confident in that at all

Reactions: cactus

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Every year I struggle at picking my backline, and I'm wondering who the community thinks will be the top 10 defenders by seasons end!

My top 10

Rory Laird
Kade Kolodjashnij
Bachar Houli
Heath Shaw
Jimmy Bartel
Kade Simpson
Alex Rance
Garrick Ibbotson
Matthew Boyd
Dylan Roberton

That's very similar to last year. I reckon there will be more changes than that

Reactions: Prospector

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not going to even try and predict that many. I need to predict 4/10 for my team and I can't even confidently do that.Sheridan and Rich are the other two defenders I have at the moment, I think they can both potentially reach top 10, but not confident in that at all

Yeah probably was a bit too high.

I can see rich averaging 90+ but I'm not going to pick him because he gets shut down to easily and most teams do it because hes such a damaging player if you don't!

That's very similar to last year. I reckon there will be more changes than that

Who do you see being in top 6?

Can't wait for the defender podcast to hear your take on the backline this year

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
By averages

Boyd
Shaw
McVeigh
Laird
Bartel
Birchall
Simpson
Houli
Enright
Rance

Are my top 10.
It's too hard to pick the top 10 by total points, you don't know who's going to miss how many games. But potentially the likes of Langdon, KK, Rich, Burgoyne, Sheridan could jump in on total points.

Coop

Feb 5, 2016

My top 10

Rory Laird
Kade Kolodjashnij
Bachar Houli
Heath Shaw
Jimmy Bartel
Kade Simpson
Alex Rance
Garrick Ibbotson
Matthew Boyd
Dylan Roberton
Good thread idea. Defenders are doing my head in. Shaw certainly looked the part yesterday!

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Something to note that I mentioned before, might've been in defenders thread is that Shaw averaged 120 after Mumford got injured, 105 beforehand, most other GWS players dropped average significantly once Mumford went down... Pretty big difference in Shaw's average, not sure if that was the only factor but I think it played a part

Reason why this is something to note is Mumford played less than 20% yesterday, and Shaw went well... There was a difference in 2014 when Mumford went down too, but it wasn't so significant and Shaw was also injured on and off through that year, so harder to tell

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Something to note that I mentioned before, might've been in defenders thread is that Shaw averaged 120 after Mumford got injured, 105 beforehand, most other GWS players dropped average significantly once Mumford went down... Pretty big difference in Shaw's average, not sure if that was the only factor but I think it played a part

Reason why this is something to note is Mumford played less than 20% yesterday, and Shaw went well... There was a difference in 2014 when Mumford went down too, but it wasn't so significant and Shaw was also injured on and off through that year, so harder to tell
If we're banking on Mumford getting injured for Shaw to score well, I'll gladly take that gamble!

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
My top 10 (by average) - some not so popular picks in there...

Shaw
Boyd
Houli
Rance
Docherty
McGovern
Hurn
Smith
McVeigh
Williams

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
My top 10 (by average) - some not so popular picks in there...

Shaw
Boyd
Houli
Rance
Docherty
McGovern
Hurn
Smith
McVeigh
Williams
You don't see Laird as a top 10 def at years end? There's at least 4 guys in that list that I can't see him dropping below.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
You don't see Laird as a top 10 def at years end? There's at least 4 guys in that list that I can't see him dropping below.
Did forget about Laird, was going to put him down the bottom of the list

Reactions: Steve

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Top 10 average not in order

Shaw
McVeigh
Boyd
Bartel
Birchall
Laird
Kolodjashnij
McGovern
Enright
McDonald

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
Top 10 average not in order

Shaw
McVeigh
Boyd
Bartel
Birchall
Laird
Kolodjashnij
McGovern
Enright
McDonald
Interesting to see no Houli here, do you see Yarran really having an effect on his scoring?

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Interesting to see no Houli here, do you see Yarran really having an effect on his scoring?
It seems to be the big question with Houli to me. Could Yarren come in and play a similar role and take some of his points? Or could Yarren attract the forward tag leaving Houli free to run around mopping up pouts at will ... wish I knew the answer to that one ...

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Both Houli and Rance both had spikes in their SC average last year. But if you look at Houli's averages over the last couple of years they seesaw.