Starting team structure

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
I've kept quiet about Menzel because I'm utterly biased about him. He was the first player to enter my team and hasn't left since. He enjoys kicking goals and taking contested marks so has the potential to score really well.

His risk of injury is his biggest draw back and the fact that he will be rested at times. Scott has said that Menz will be managed through the season. Pretty much if Menz has a slight twinge he'll be given the week off or maybe two.

I'm bullish when it comes to this guy's talents so I think his potential out ways the risks. But I'm so biased that you probably shouldn't pay any attention to me. :oops:
I'm very keen to see his performance in the VFL practice game. Being "managed" does concern me though, as he has a lot of easier sides from Round 3-6 where I'd like him to play rather than miss to boost his score.
Still one under consideration for me. 260k is reaching into midpricer territory rather than premium rookie.

Reactions: TomCat

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
I've kept quiet about Menzel because I'm utterly biased about him. He was the first player to enter my team and hasn't left since. He enjoys kicking goals and taking contested marks so has the potential to score really well.

His risk of injury is his biggest draw back and the fact that he will be rested at times. Scott has said that Menz will be managed through the season. Pretty much if Menz has a slight twinge he'll be given the week off or maybe two.

I'm bullish when it comes to this guy's talents so I think his potential out ways the risks. But I'm so biased that you probably shouldn't pay any attention to me. :oops:
Thanks for the honest opinion. I agree re the talent and scoring potential but am also scared off by the inj/rest factors.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
With the plethora of rookies available in the forward line maybe it would be better to go say Kerridge Kennedy in the mids to fit in Mccarthy & Milera and maybe avoid Mills, Parish and Oliver.

Reactions: Hondo

deadoralive

Mar 15, 2016
5-0-3 defenders
6-1-4 mids
1-0-2 rucks
5-0-3 forwards.

Straight guns and rookies with one exception. Bench to change in mids if required because I believe the defenders and forwards are due to be selected (probably not now as I have just jinxed myself!)

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
5-0-3 defenders
6-1-4 mids
1-0-2 rucks
5-0-3 forwards.

Straight guns and rookies with one exception. Bench to change in mids if required because I believe the defenders and forwards are due to be selected (probably not now as I have just jinxed myself!)

At what price range are you calling a premo?
I'm also trying to go G'n'R but finding it hard.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
5-0-3 defenders
6-1-4 mids
1-0-2 rucks
5-0-3 forwards.

How many 200K plus rookies? if you done minf me asking

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
5-0-3 defenders
6-1-4 mids
1-0-2 rucks
5-0-3 forwards.

Who are your 2 cheap rucks? I havent seen anyone going with 2 rookies so far. Huge call.

deadoralive

Mar 15, 2016
Who are your 2 cheap rucks? I havent seen anyone going with 2 rookies so far. Huge call.
Premiums are at the end. Cheap players first. 2 premium rucks. And for the other question, for now there is 5 200k players. Subject to last minute change. Had it in reverse order, my apologies. I've put rookies / mid pricers / premiums. Silly me.

Last edited:

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
Im toying between
Option 1
Def: 3-1-4
Mid: 5-1-5
Ruck: 2-0-1
Fwd: 2-1-5 (Wells as Rookie)

and

Option 2
Mid: 4-1-5

The dropping of the extra Premium Mid down to one of the 200K midfield rookies allows me to really get quality (yet expensive) rookies in the team. AKA Weitering over a speculative backman, Kennedy over Gore, Gresham over a speculative mid, Milera over a speculative fwd. Rookies look a lot better in the 2nd structure, but are also more expensive and if they don't pay off they may not make me enough money (Oliver Kennedy, Mills, Weitering, Milera).

I suppose the reason I feel the need to consider the 2nd structure is me not being able to decide between any of the 550K premiums that I think will take a step up.

I did also consider my defence as 3-0-5 but I don't trust Weitering/Dea at D4.

What are everyones thoughts on the better structure for this year?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Im toying between
Option 1
Mid: 5-1-5

and

Option 2
Mid: 4-1-5

The dropping of the extra Premium Mid down to one of the 200K midfield rookies allows me to really get quality (yet expensive) rookies in the team. AKA Weitering over a speculative backman, Kennedy over Gore, Gresham over a speculative mid, Milera over a speculative fwd. Rookies look a lot better in the 2nd structure, but are also more expensive and if they don't pay off they may not make me enough money (Oliver Kennedy, Mills, Weitering, Milera).

I suppose the reason I feel the need to consider the 2nd structure is me not being able to decide between any of the 550K premiums that I think will take a step up.

I did also consider my defence as 3-0-5 but I don't trust Weitering/Dea at D4.

What are everyones thoughts on the better structure for this year?
I think the expensive rookies are the way to go. The cheap ones are nice because they allow extra premiums but they're no good to you if they don't play. The expensive ones (maybe with the exception of Milera) will play pretty much every week. They might still only top out at the same price as a cheaper rookie would so cash generation could be a bit trickier this year. But at least you're making more off those guys than 123k kids stuck in the magoos.

I've got 6 guys priced between 144k-230k. Its very new territory for me but I'm comfortable with how my team looks.

Reactions: Dino

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
I think the expensive rookies are the way to go. The cheap ones are nice because they allow extra premiums but they're no good to you if they don't play. The expensive ones (maybe with the exception of Milera) will play pretty much every week
Milera's very high up on my list of forward rookies, I'm interested to hear why you don't think he'll get regular games.

2x Premo rucks - lock
5-2-1 mids - lock

Forward line and back line still shuffling about, I'm currently sitting with 5 mid pricers in those two lines.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Milera's very high up on my list of forward rookies, I'm interested to hear why you don't think he'll get regular games.

2x Premo rucks - lock
5-2-1 mids - lock

Forward line and back line still shuffling about, I'm currently sitting with 5 mid pricers in those two lines.
I see him as similar to Cockatoo last year. High priced rookie, undoubted talent, flashy, low possessions and built like a grasshopper. Cockatoo played a couple of games early then was in the twos for most of the year. Milera is all of those things to a tee so far. I think he is fighting Betts, Menzel, and Cameron for 2 spots, 3 max. And I see all 3 of those ahead of him right now.

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015

@TomCat How did Menzel look in the VFL game? Any further updates
I still keep going back to him as it's a spot between him and Oliver in my side now. His draw is very very appealing and he has much better JS than Oliver.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Reactions: jibba

jibba