Rucks

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I think I have craziest ruck idea out there this pre-season and I do see people have been talking about these players but, what about a ruck line of...

Grundy - English - Mumford

Call me taking leave of my witts but I've been trying to figure out ways to not pay the premium for two top priced rucks (sorry Big Max!), I just don't like my team shape when I do and I can't recall a season where spending $1.5M on rucks was a good idea.

With an English/Mumford duo you are guaranteed having 3 #1 rucks in your team and that it's as close to a sure bet as possible that these two will go up in price when playing which will add tons of flexibility and you're saving yourself ~$170k (across total ruck division assuming GnG+Loophole) to upgrade other lines.

Obviously this strategy makes even more sense if Archie Smith is the starting #1 at Brisbane this week but I consider that a longshot.

I get that the main disadvantages is potential points lost to other competitors in the ruck but I see it as if Mumford is pumping out 90s and someone on another line is scoring 10ppt better than it should be a wash there and two weeks of a spud English is only two weeks, not 23. You don't pick them assuming they may both be keepers but you're effectively double-dipping on them both having the chance to be and even a combined price rise of something like $100k will be a bonus when it comes time to cull them both and select a bottomed out Gawn or the clear #3 option and a rookie.

So if you're prepared to spend the money on both Grundy/Gawn, is it better to instead downgrade one of them and choose the two mid-priced options instead? Am I on the edge of the cliff with this idea? Please talk me off it if so!
I’m not really a fan of hedging bets in SuperCoach. If you want to run with Mummy, I think the only viable way to do it is to hope that one of Clarke/Fort/Smith are named and wear their scores for two weeks.
With seemingly such a large gap between Grundy/Gawn and the next best ruck, I don’t think a saving of ~100k and having 300k sitting on your bench is worth it.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I can’t seem to steer away from English.
He will be the number 1 ruck at the dogs won’t he? Trengrove has more value around the ground than English will. Has had a good preseason put on weight. Scored ok in the JLT.

JLT 1 - 67 off 86% TOG
JLT 2 - 85 off 45% TOG

How much does he have to average? 85+? I really think by picking English that the ~ $400,000 spent elsewhere will have a positive point gain.
I am considering English too but you have to take into account that JLT2 was against a pretty much ruck-less St Kilda

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I think I have craziest ruck idea out there this pre-season and I do see people have been talking about these players but, what about a ruck line of...

Call me taking leave of my witts but I've been trying to figure out ways to not pay the premium for two top priced rucks (sorry Big Max!), I just don't like my team shape when I do and I can't recall a season where spending $1.5M on rucks was a good idea.

With an English/Mumford duo you are guaranteed having 3 #1 rucks in your team and that it's as close to a sure bet as possible that these two will go up in price when playing which will add tons of flexibility and you're saving yourself ~$170k (across total ruck division assuming GnG+Loophole) to upgrade other lines.

Obviously this strategy makes even more sense if Archie Smith is the starting #1 at Brisbane this week but I consider that a longshot.

I get that the main disadvantages is potential points lost to other competitors in the ruck but I see it as if Mumford is pumping out 90s and someone on another line is scoring 10ppt better than it should be a wash there and two weeks of a spud English is only two weeks, not 23. You don't pick them assuming they may both be keepers but you're effectively double-dipping on them both having the chance to be and even a combined price rise of something like $100k will be a bonus when it comes time to cull them both and select a bottomed out Gawn or the clear #3 option and a rookie.

So if you're prepared to spend the money on both Grundy/Gawn, is it better to instead downgrade one of them and choose the two mid-priced options instead? Am I on the edge of the cliff with this idea? Please talk me off it if so!
If one of them had DPP it might make sense but you're still spending over 1.3m on rucks with over 300k being wasted on the bench. for 1.5m you could go Grundy - Gawn - Bines. The saving of 200k doesn't really justify it

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018

I also want to select Mummy I think he can average 95+

My strategy is to go

Gawn - Lycett - Mummy

I will select Bines as a forward Bench

Once Mummy returns in round 3 I will flip Lycett to F4.

I also think with Ryders injury problems and him playing mostly in the Forward line will see Lycett spend more time in the ruck. I can see him averaging 95+ Another big benefit is you have cover for Mummy through the year if he misses a week or two.

I like the scoring potential of Lycett over English plus you can have him scoring on field instead of sitting on the bench at $300k

So for $740k you can have Lycett/Mummy combo which I am hoping will average 180+

If the plan fails you can flip them both into Grundy or Gawn at the cost of two trades

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I also want to select Mummy I think he can average 95+

My strategy is to go

Gawn - Lycett - Mummy

I will select Bines as a forward Bench

Once Mummy returns in round 3 I will flip Lycett to F4.

I also think with Ryders injury problems and him playing mostly in the Forward line will see Lycett spend more time in the ruck. I can see him averaging 95+ Another big benefit is you have cover for Mummy through the year if he misses a week or two.

I like the scoring potential of Lycett over English plus you can have him scoring on field instead of sitting on the bench at $300k

So for $740k you can have Lycett/Mummy combo which I am hoping will average 180+

If the plan fails you can flip them both into Grundy or Gawn at the cost of two trades
The thing about Mummy is he won't have a price rise until Round 5, a strategy I'm considering isstarting with Grundy, Lycett, Bines. I'm looking at starting with about 150k in the warchest, so there is potential to wait and see how Mummy looks after a couple weeks and if it is worth it swing an underperforming rookie to him and stick Lycett in the forward line, I have DPP's connecting every line so it could be any rookie across the board.

Reactions: Azza Jones

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
The thing about Mummy is he won't have a price rise until Round 5, a strategy I'm considering isstarting with Grundy, Lycett, Bines. I'm looking at starting with about 150k in the warchest, so there is potential to wait and see how Mummy looks after a couple weeks and if it is worth it swing an underperforming rookie to him and stick Lycett in the forward line, I have DPP's connecting every line so it could be any rookie across the board.

I have considered that as well as it looks like a waste of having a $300k bench ruck for 2 rounds but his first for games are Tigers (Nank), Cats (Stanley?), Dockers (Darcy/Lobb), Swans (Naismith), Saints (??)

He doesn’t play a Gawn/Grundy/Goldy/Martin until Round 10. He run gets tough around the byes which means you could upgrade him then.

The disadvantage is that your leaving the $150k in your bank which means its not earning you points. I am going to roll with him due to his early run. I think he comes out breathing fire and has a good first couple of months.

Prob a risk of suspension but I am willing to take it considering he could average in the 90’s for a $300k players

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
If Zac Clarke is named, do we find an extra 40k to put him at R3? If only he was DPP!

Reactions: Prospector

Gawn Armi Witts

Aspiring Coach
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks all. Think I will just take the roll of the dice with Goldstein unless there's a rookie ruck starting in which case they will be R2 until Mumford returns.

Reilly O'Brien has got to get games this year though I can see him coming in for an injured/rested Jenkins instead of Jacobs and being plonked forward scoring sfa.