Round 8 Discussion and Trades

Dunny29

Mar 11, 2016
I don’t mind Ryan, reasonable chance to be top 6 down back.

Not sure I agree with your Butters assessment though. His BE is 72, which he’s only scored above twice. He has a 30 rolling through his system for the next two weeks, and that’s after he is recalled anyway which means minimum three rounds before he has any serious price hike. I agree he’s an awkward price and sucks he couldn’t make more money, but it is what it is sometimes
That's the other side of the argument, obviously there isn't really a correct answer at this stage and it is dependent on each teams situation and how it actually plays out.

I don't think it makes sense while you have other rookies that are at a much better price point that aren't going to make much more. I think if you have 10 players you will be culling/upgrading in coming weeks, that is 5 weeks minimum worth. That's plenty of time to see if Butters (or others in a similar situation) turn it around. If he doesn't play he doesn't drop, if he plays a few games, then in 5 weeks worst case he won't likely be dropping much anyway, if he plays he could make $50k+ and has shown he can score enough to do this. It's not a situation that is likely to burn you by holding him IMO (unless you end up with a donut because of it).

Trading him this week may not matter, but in 1-2-3 weeks if you find yourself a little short on cash for an optimum upgrade or 2, that's when it will matter. I'm going to be culling others over the next 5 weeks anyway. Chances are a premo you are trading in has bottomed out and is likely to be rising $25k in the next fortnight which pretty much cancels out any potential rise in a $300k rookie culled today anyway. I see trading Butters to collect ~$120k to use elsewhere/upgrade when you don't have to, instead of collecting $170-200k elsewhere as a probable net loss (not having the ability to reallocate the extra $50-80k+ soon which will likely result in a potential missed optimum upgrade opportunity in coming weeks).

Obviously it depends how your team looks and how many trades you have left etc. For me personally, I don't need to move him on as I need to patch up my defence and he isn't going to drop this week. I think at this stage you are better off maximising upgrade $$$ knowing that you can only do 2 each week until byes. It's not as if there are likely cash cows to bring in now/soon to cull during/soon after the byes. Ideally you want to have fully upgraded soon after byes so anything to maximise cash, minimise potential wasted trades and aiding ease of upgrades for when it suits is my focus.

Dash

Development Coach
Apr 6, 2016
Just want people's 1-5 of players should be trading, maybe a reason too.

Collins, Clarke, Petruccelle, Gibbons, Butters

Cheers,

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Just want people's 1-5 of players should be trading, maybe a reason too.
Collins, Clarke, Petruccelle, Gibbons, Butters
Cheers,
Butters: 57av., 72BE. Looks to have run out of steam with only one score 50+ in last four. Dropped even though Wines and Ebert injured.
Petrucelle: 56.6av. 59BE. His 100 inflates his average as his only score above 60 in seven games.
Gibbons/Clark: a toss-up as both with BEs around their av.s. Gibbons probably better JS .
Collins: also with av. and BE much the same but while he's had a few poor games they have been off-set by better ones. A rnd.14 bye is favourable.

But it depends on what cash you need and your current bye structure. If you want to upgrade and only by trading Collins out can you get the money then it might be worth it.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Thinking very much along the same lines
That was before team sheets.
Whitfield and Ridley out led me to trade Ridley and keep Clark.
Still traded Butters, though.

Dash

Development Coach
Apr 6, 2016
218 K - 1 trade Should I use another and trade Petrucelle for Corbett or Hoff. Any other options?
Laird, D Moore, Sicily, Duursma, Collins, Answerth (Clark, Whitfield)
Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Neale, Libba, Walsh, Setterfield, Atkins, (Hayes, Scott, Gibbons)
Gawn, Grundy, (Bines)
Danger, Heeney, Boak, Drew, Petrucelle, Parker (Burgess, Balta)

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
Menegola a late out...bloody hell. Good thing I was planning my last trade to cover the late out being dangerfield...