Round 4 Discussion

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Gee, I'd be fascinated to know what the hell is going on with Hanners and Parky. Still round about the play ... not obviously carrying injuries although both, especially Parker, had interrupted preseasons ... just look like regular players at the moment. Kind of insipid. No X factor ...

Both look like they'll be at a nice price around upgrade time but I'm going to need to see a bit more from the before I consider them.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Gee, I'd be fascinated to know what the hell is going on with Hanners and Parky. Still round about the play ... not obviously carrying injuries although both, especially Parker, had interrupted preseasons ... just look like regular players at the moment. Kind of insipid. No X factor ...

Both look like they'll be at a nice price around upgrade time but I'm going to need to see a bit more from the before I consider them.
Ditched Hanners last week and won't be bringing him back. I have 3 elite mid positions to fill and at this stage I plan on them being Pendles, Bont and Rocky. The whole Sydney side look stuck in second gear. Its a huge form drop from a Grand Final side. Surely them and Hawthorn aren't doing what Freo did last year, they can't both drop off thst quickly.

As an aside, Bont needs to be my next player targeted. He was good today but 25 touches at 72%, 6 tackles and a goal for 115 seems a bit rich. I love watching him as a player but he is doing what GAJ did 4-5 years ago. His quiet games are 100, average games 115, and standout games 150. He is an absolute must have.

Reactions: Shinboner and Tandy

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Ditched Hanners last week and won't be bringing him back. I have 3 elite mid positions to fill and at this stage I plan on them being Pendles, Bont and Rocky. The whole Sydney side look stuck in second gear. Its a huge form drop from a Grand Final side. Surely them and Hawthorn aren't doing what Freo did last year, they can't both drop off thst quickly.

As an aside, Bont needs to be my next player targeted. He was good today but 25 touches at 72%, 6 tackles and a goal for 115 seems a bit rich. I love watching him as a player but he is doing what GAJ did 4-5 years ago. His quiet games are 100, average games 115, and standout games 150. He is an absolute must have.

Couldn't agree more, the effect he has on the game though is enourmous as he racks up plenty of contested possessions and clean break aways which then hit a target 40 metres up the field which is worth at least +8. And he plucks contested marks and kicks goals. He's the new Dependlebury

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015

I watched Hanners closely last week, and as I commented I was far from convinced despite reports elsewhere of his triumphant return to form. I only saw a bit of Thursday's game and was also suitably unimpressed. I had a look at his heat maps quarter-by-quarter. Interestingly in the first half he didn't have a possession inside the centre square. Then quite a few in the 2nd half. He only scored 34 in the first half and obviously picked that up a bit in the 2nd half. Will try and post screenshots.

So it seems part of it is role and part of it is something else (injury, malaise, alcohol deficiency, etc). Further concerning is that the Swans were no better with him in the middle.

Reactions: Tandy and cactus

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
First half

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-15.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-15.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-18.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-18.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: AlLewis and cactus

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Second half

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-21.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-21.png
    307.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-24.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-24.png
    361.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: cactus

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Overall game

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-33.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-15-10-50-33.png
    402.2 KB · Views: 4

Shinboner

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 19, 2016

I couldn't resist the gawn to Bont trade via Nank/Parfitt this week. Looks so good in my team.

Reactions: cactus and Steve

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Watched the Adelaide Essendon game last night and particularly Laird.
I know this won't shock anyone, but he is a dead set star!
I started without him only because I was worried that he'll play some lock down roles and hence will reduce his score. This has happened already, vs Hawthorn especially, where he closed down Puopolo in the second half..
I'm starting to think I'll need to get him in as my second upgrade behind a forward premo. I think he'll be only just behind Adams as the top scorer in the backs this year...

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Has this round ended yet? Treloar adds to this weeks list of horror for my side...

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I have so many underperforming premo's. Could very well score under 2000 after getting just 2050 last week. It's so disappointing because the ones that are underperforming I thought were 'safe' picks. Shaw, Parker and Treloar are at the top of my hitlist! Worst part is I had Rocky and Zerrett for so much of the preseason but didn't have the balls because I wanted 'risk free' picks!

I'm changing my C from Danger to Selwood tomorrow in celebration of my new mantra RISK RISK RISK!

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Bloody hell, where to start? So many 50/50 preseason calls that went the wrong way.

Shaw or Adams?
Treloar or Pendles?
Hanners or Rocky?
Murphy or Beams?
Gawn/Taranto or Witts/Bont?

You can take one guess as to which choice I made on every single count. Even when trading Hanners out after round 2, I thought having both Beams and Murphy was too risky so I restructured and took Higgins, who scored more in round 2 than he has in rounds 3 and 4 combined. This week was a calculated risk getting Witts in for Gawn as a cash grab to get a mid rookie off my field and stop hemorrhaging points in the mids. Witts throws out his worst score of the year and the two obvious options in Grundy and Martin both go large.

Now I've got a week to work out how to attack the rest of the season. Do I go hard for the next 3-4 weeks, burn another 6-8 trades and try to aim for a respectable ranking but risk running low on trades late? Or start taking a longer term approach playing for leagues? It can be a bitch of a game sometimes.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Bloody hell, where to start? So many 50/50 preseason calls that went the wrong way.

Shaw or Adams?
Treloar or Pendles?
Hanners or Rocky?
Murphy or Beams?

You can take one guess as to which choice I made on every single count. Even when trading Hanners out after round 2, I thought having both Beams and Murphy was too risky so I restructured and took Higgins, who scored more in round 2 than he has in rounds 3 and 4 combined. This week was a calculated risk getting Witts in for Gawn as a cash grab to get a mid rookie off my field and stop hemorrhaging points in the mids. Witts throws out his worst score of the year and the two obvious options in Grundy and Martin both go large.

Now I've got a week to work out how to attack the rest of the season. Do I go hard for the next 3-4 weeks, burn another 6-8 trades and try to aim for a respectable ranking but risk running low on trades late? Or start taking a longer term approach playing for leagues? It can be a bitch of a game sometimes.
Totally agree Steve
SHAW/Adams
HANNEBERY/Bont
TRELOAR/Pendles
ROUGHEAD/Nank
GAWN/Grundy
BEAMS/Murphy

I bet you can see which players I picked too, I say we go hard burn trades and get back to square because lets be honest no point getting to the end of the season with a shit team and heaps of trades as your not going to win anything anyway.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
... I say we go hard burn trades and get back to square because lets be honest no point getting to the end of the season with a shit team and heaps of trades as your not going to win anything anyway.
If you are in SCC leagues, there are still reasons to play for the league position, folks!

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Yeah my team's the worst.

Don't care about my risky pics from pre-season it the Hannebery, Treloar types that are doing me head in.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016

Shaw or Adams?
Treloar or Pendles?
Hanners or Rocky?
Murphy or Beams?

For me, I went Treloar and Parker when I could've gone Pendles and Bont. I came into this weekend right around 3000 in the overall, but holy hell I could've been top 100 probably had I made the right call on those two. I've already done 3 correction trades with the rookies and I have 1 more left with Hibberd still sitting around so I'm just going to ride out Parker and Treloar for the rest of the season and probably end up loopholing them M8/9. Yeah, it's going to suck, but it will be best for the overall ranking. They just feel like my Shiel pick from last year where I'm just going to be watching the points bleed all year long so I'll cop that and learn next year to pick the champion data love-children no matter what as long as they get any preseason action in.

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
After projections of over 2200 I scores under 2000 for the first time not including byes for about 10 years

Reactions: k-red17