Round 3 Trades

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
What's peoples thoughts on trading Hibberd for Newman this week?
With so many good rookies (Berry, Balic, Long, Durdin) named this week and Hayward and Newman on the bubble next week it might be a case of getting one of those 4 in early to ensure we don't miss out...

Also, I'm still considering Taranto to Houston - worth it?

the cranky one

Development Coach
May 7, 2015
trades this week:
Keefe to Macreadie (emg)
Black to WHE
Whilst i realise Macreadie is only listed as an emergency, it frres up just under 50k, which enables the non playing black to WHE trade.

This only leaves Jarman (ADE), EVW (listed as an emergency) and Strnadica as non scoring bench warmers, with jarman possibly traded out next week.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
trades this week:
Keefe to Macreadie (emg)
Black to WHE
Whilst i realise Macreadie is only listed as an emergency, it frres up just under 50k, which enables the non playing black to WHE trade.

This only leaves Jarman (ADE), EVW (listed as an emergency) and Strnadica as non scoring bench warmers, with jarman possibly traded out next week.

Macreadie is actually playing.

So that works for you.

Reactions: k-red17

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
trades this week:
Keefe to Macreadie (emg)
Black to WHE

It's a little risky but I'd go Long from St Kilda, might not make the 22 this week but highly regarded there, when ready to play he'll stay in the team and score decent.

Reactions: the cranky one

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
Not 100% sold on WHE so think I'll pass.

Hopefully he doesnt hurt me too badly (states without much confidence).

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
With so many good rookies (Berry, Balic, Long, Durdin) named this week and Hayward and Newman on the bubble next week it might be a case of getting one of those 4 in early to ensure we don't miss out...

Unless you're looking at an on-field donut this week I'd hold fire. If Newman has an off-game this week or gets injured you wouldn't forgive yourself. I agree there's a few potential rookies coming through but I'd be having a second look at all of them if you can, particularly with players that weren't selected Round 1 or for much of the JLT like Newman. He's not a clear best 22 for us so I wouldn't be taking this risk this week.

Taranto to Houston is a clear No for me. There is no improvement in JS or scoring potential. It would be a waste of a trade.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016

Those rooks are coming too early (or late... depending how you look at it)!!

I'd probably have slotted all 4 of them in my starting team if they were playing. They're all gonna be on the bubble at that awkward time of year before we start culling.

Reactions: cactus and Dino

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Unless you're looking at an on-field donut this week I'd hold fire. If Newman has an off-game this week or gets injured you wouldn't forgive yourself. I agree there's a few potential rookies coming through but I'd be having a second look at all of them if you can, particularly with players that weren't selected Round 1 or for much of the JLT like Newman. He's not a clear best 22 for us so I wouldn't be taking this risk this week.

Taranto to Houston is a clear No for me. There is no improvement in JS or scoring potential. It would be a waste of a trade.

Fair call - what about Taranto to Witts via Strnadica?
Again - very sideways but it does open up a donut in the forwards and Witts looks like he'll make a tonne of coin... (I have Gawn and Sandi in the rucks)

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Backing my gut and going with it.

Hanners to Higgins via Taranto
Strndica to WHE via Cameron

Restructures my side and leaves WHE at F6 so hoping my forwards don't need touching until my absolute final upgrades in round 13. Playing Swallow, SPP and Taranto on field in mids which I'm fine with for now. Banks me a little extra coin to go for an early upgrade once these Rd 3 and 4 rookies are on the bubble.

Normally not something I'd do as a correction but the podcasts this year have been big on backing your gut and getting your structure right. These trades feel right on both accounts.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015

Restructures my side and leaves WHE at F6 so hoping my forwards don't need touching until my absolute final upgrades in round 13. Playing Swallow, SPP and Taranto on field in mids which I'm fine with for now. Banks me a little extra coin to go for an early upgrade once these Rd 3 and 4 rookies are on the bubble.

Normally not something I'd do as a correction but the podcasts this year have been big on backing your gut and getting your structure right. These trades feel right on both accounts.

I'm making a similar move: Hanners/Pickett to Murphy/WHE.

Like you it's not something I would normally do so I'm nervous about it.

I hope it works out for both of us. :oops:

Zacleonard12

Aspiring Coach
Apr 4, 2016

i dont know if i should do hanners or higgins, im doing basically the same as you but this is doing my head in

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm making a similar move: Hanners/Pickett to Murphy/WHE.

Like you it's not something I would normally do so I'm nervous about it.

I hope it works out for both of us. :oops:
Murph and I have a long and checkered history. I've had Higgins twice and hes been good for me both times. Murph had hurt me before, I just couldn't go back there again.

Hope we're both winners out of it!

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
i dont know if i should do hanners or higgins, im doing basically the same as you but this is doing my head in
Try and clear your head and go with the gut. Ive been using my head for a few years with SC and it's got me nowhere :p

Reactions: TomCat

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Murph and I have a long and checkered history. I've had Higgins twice and hes been good for me both times. Murph had hurt me before, I just couldn't go back there again.

Hope we're both winners out of it!

Ha ha!! Murphy has never hurt me but oh has Higgins ...

Never again for me.

Zacleonard12

Aspiring Coach
Apr 4, 2016
Try and clear your head and go with the gut. Ive been using my head for a few years with SC and it's got me nowhere :p
thing is if it was up to me id take both but cant afford both and not enough trades this round lol

gotta have nank he is a must but higgins and murph have been annoying, they are both injury proned, both can score massive as we have seen the past 2 weeks, murph has only played against richmond and melbourne though, higgins has played against geelong and west coast which are much harder opponents but i really dont know im stuck in the middle

Zacleonard12

Aspiring Coach
Apr 4, 2016
i think i have done it, higgins instead of murph, higgins will be top 6 forward and has played against 2 decent teams, murph hasnt played a decent team yet and most likely wont be top 10 mid

Reactions: Steve

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Fair call - what about Taranto to Witts via Strnadica?
Again - very sideways but it does open up a donut in the forwards and Witts looks like he'll make a tonne of coin... (I have Gawn and Sandi in the rucks)
I think Witts on the bench is a bad idea. You just can't afford to have that much cash (it'll be over 300k in 2weeks) sitting on the pine. If you're not playing him on-field I just think you have to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Prospector

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Ended up keeping Jones.

1st trade for the season was:
GHS > Newman (via Adams)

No Clayton Oliver for me... after much deliberation. I still think he has a good chance of breaking out early into super premo range.