Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
No conclusions at all, just stating that he went well, didn't look out of place that's all.
As for the Dogs 2nds, try barracking for a team that generally needs another 16 players every week for 1st team! lol (just give me a little joy)
Sorry, doddy - no aspersions intended. And agree about Oliver.
I appreciate that you're a Dee's supporter and have had some hard times. But I think they are on the rise and you've got lots to look forward to.

As for the Doggies. I think their depth is pretty impressive. I'd love to have the likes of Hrovat, Jong and Honeychurch at the sainters.
Jong especially impressed today - playing on-ball, lots of clearances and CPs. I must've missed something as I've always thought of him more as an outside, running player.

EDIT: I'm old enough to have lived through the 80's Sainter teams - last every year 1983-1986. In 1986 we only won 2 games, rnd.s 13 + 17. And I missed the rnd.13 win after sitting thru almost every loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: cactus

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
The Swans have Macca, Rohan, Reid, McGlynn missing R1 at this stage.

There could be a couple of Swans rookies playing R1 but with no JS

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I appreciate that you're a Dee's supporter and have had some hard times. But I think they are on the rise and you've got lots to look forward to.

As for the Doggies. I think their depth is pretty impressive. I'd love to have the likes of Hrovat, Jong and Honeychurch at the sainters.
Jong especially impressed today - playing on-ball, lots of clearances and CPs. I must've missed something as I've always thought of him more as an outside, running player.

EDIT: I'm old enough to have lived through the 80's Sainter teams - last every year 1983-1986. In 1986 we only won 2 games, rnd.s 13 + 17. And I missed the rnd.13 win after sitting thru almost every loss.

Never thought that was the case, that's the one beautiful thing about text isn't it, that tone is non existent.
Yep totally agree about Jong he looks good, may struggle though when the team is at full strength.

Reactions: Rupert

camloch

Super Coach
Apr 24, 2015

Try growing up a Fitzroy supporter!
I think we made the finals in 1987 when my parents decided we would go on a road trip around Australia.
Dont get me wrong, the road trip was great, but never saw my team play in a final.
Then when they got booted out of the league, I decided to follow the tigers...
We all know how thats going...

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Keep an eye on Tom Ruggles, with Thurlow going down & Kelly gone there's spots up for grabs in geelongs backline & i get the feeling Bews is out of favour, does need to be upgraded though

Reactions: cactus and Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Keep an eye on Tom Ruggles, with Thurlow going down & Kelly gone there's spots up for grabs in geelongs backline & i get the feeling Bews is out of favour, does need to be upgraded though
Given he won the VFL b&f last year and did well on the weekend, I would say he would be first in line for an upgrade. U think he's just recently signed for another couple of years too? Mature age and experienced... He would be handy. Would be in and out more than Ron Jeremy though.

Reactions: misanthrope

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Who's Ron two-first-names?;)
I believe he was a utility in the 70s and 80s. Had a few different positions and was comfortable playing anywhere. He was very good with rebound 50s as he would often go long and straight up the middle. Wouldn't have been SC relevant as he always gave his opponent a lot of the ball. I never saw him in action but his reputation is the stuff of legend ;)

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Mitch Brown out for 8 weeks with finger surgery

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Mitch Brown for WCE was in best 22 and cheap, but was he ever fantasy relevant as a lock down back?

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Mitch Brown for WCE was in best 22 and cheap, but was he ever fantasy relevant as a lock down back?
Certainly not a lock but cheap enough to be in discussion. Similar to Brown last year I would have thought

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Worsfold has come out on Essendons Twitter and said that Polkinghorne won't be ready to play Round 1. Another mid rookie to cross off the list.

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015
Anyone thinking about young Clayton Oliver from the Dees? Not cheap @ $207k - but has shown more than Hopper (and i share the concerns above about GWS rookies in general).

Personally, I will be paying up for Mills - think he has the best chance of turning out a Joel Selwood/Toby Greene debut year (in terms of numbers) of all the rookies, though someone will come from the clouds to surprise us all, no doubt. And it would be a reasonable investment to pony up for TWO of Mills/Oliver/Hopper/Parish/L.Weller..

Re Oliver, I have no confidence that Roos will play the same more-attacking style that Goodwin has overseen through the NAB (bring on 2017) - but Oliver has looked good in patches..

Reactions: cactus

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Anyone thinking about young Clayton Oliver from the Dees? Not cheap @ $207k - but has shown more than Hopper (and i share the concerns above about GWS rookies in general).

Personally, I will be paying up for Mills - think he has the best chance of turning out a Joel Selwood/Toby Greene debut year (in terms of numbers) of all the rookies, though someone will come from the clouds to surprise us all, no doubt. And it would be a reasonable investment to pony up for TWO of Mills/Oliver/Hopper/Parish/L.Weller..

Re Oliver, I have no confidence that Roos will play the same more-attacking style that Goodwin has overseen through the NAB (bring on 2017) - but Oliver has looked good in patches..
I am seriously considering him. He likes the contested stuff apparently and not afraid to put his body on the line. I think I much prefer him over B.Kennedy. Just wish he was 25-30K cheaper.

Reactions: TwentyThree

BigKev

Aspiring Coach
Jun 23, 2015
Adelaide
Thinking to start Milera and Menadue....not 100% sold on either of them. Both had good NAB campaign so far, but JS is scetchy, if both named for rnd 1, then I'll seriously consider them.

What do you guys think?

BigKev

Aspiring Coach
Jun 23, 2015
Adelaide
Is Weitering worth having? At the moment he is in my team. Too expensive, but I'd rather have a rookie playing majority of games, then praying for some cheapie to get named each week.

And I am not the one for praying.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Thinking to start Milera and Menadue....not 100% sold on either of them. Both had good NAB campaign so far, but JS is scetchy, if both named for rnd 1, then I'll seriously consider them.

What do you guys think?
Adelaide are raving about Milera, wonder if he's a bit slight / young, tho he was great playing senior SANFL footy late last year. I think one of Menadue and Corey Ellis will come off...just a matter of which one?!

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I see Milera as a Cockatoo type. Flashy and you think he has had a good game. Then you see the stats for 8 touches, 2 goals and 50SC. I think there's plenty of better options especially given his price.

I've got Menadue on field at the moment and will be watching intently tonight. I'm pretty set on him but willing to take him out if I have to.

Reactions: ksghendo