Bye Rounds

Back2theFuture

Aspiring Coach
Apr 5, 2016
i have been on a Supercoach sabbatical for last 2 years and wondering how the bye rounds work now. I think it used to be 3 Trades and how do the scores work as far as donuts. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out about them which makes it difficult to plan a scoring strategy incorporating their impact. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Could i get a bit of help with my Byes i have

Missing 4 premos and 4 rookies first week
3 premos 7 rookies out second week
8 premos 4 rookies out 3rd week

How should i be looking to trade over the next couple weeks?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Could i get a bit of help with my Byes i have

Missing 4 premos and 4 rookies first week
3 premos 7 rookies out second week
8 premos 4 rookies out 3rd week

How should i be looking to trade over the next couple weeks?
If you have the choice, prioritise rookies from the 3rd week. By the time their bye comes around they should be ready to cull, and in an ideal world, you bring in either 2 premos or go 1 up and 1 down from teams that have already had their bye. You're missing a heap of premos in that last week so ideally you would use these rookies to bring in premos after their bye to cover you in the third week.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
If you have the choice, prioritise rookies from the 3rd week. By the time their bye comes around they should be ready to cull, and in an ideal world, you bring in either 2 premos or go 1 up and 1 down from teams that have already had their bye. You're missing a heap of premos in that last week so ideally you would use these rookies to bring in premos after their bye to cover you in the third week.

ok thanks! With the trades i'm looking to do this week would change it to

6P 4R
3P 6R
7P 4R

Is that too may missing premos in the first round of the byes should I maybe look to bring in one form the second week instead?
Definitly looking to bring in Mathieson in 2 weeks and potentially Hopper next week both R15 byes.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
ok thanks! With the trades i'm looking to do this week would change it to

6P 4R
3P 6R
7P 4R

Is that too may missing premos in the first round of the byes should I maybe look to bring in one form the second week instead?
Could you split it this week with 1 from each of the first 2 weeks and then plan to bring in your other first week player you have your eye on after his bye? (does that make sense?)

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Could you split it this week with 1 from each of the first 2 weeks and then plan to bring in your other first week player you have your eye on after his bye? (does that make sense?)

Yeah it does, was going to be Montagna & Pendles this week but Pendles can wait but Montagna seems ripe this week, will just have to see what I can find from Port, Bullies, Eagles, Swan, Dons or Dees to bring in, wish i was a bit more convinced with Priddis.

Cheers for the help!

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Yeah it does, was going to be Montagna & Pendles this week but Pendles can wait but Montagna seems ripe this week, will just have to see what I can find from Port, Bullies, Eagles, Swan, Dons or Dees to bring in, wish i was a bit more convinced with Priddis.

Cheers for the help!
I wasnt sold on Priddis but 4 weeks ago I said the same about Pendles. If I didn't have forward line donuts to cover this week, Priddis would have been a 90% chance to come into my side. Pendles will come down again at some stage I think.

Unforgiven

Patron '18
Patron '19
May 14, 2015
Hey Guys,

On this topic what's everyone's BYE strategy (if at all)?

I plan heavily for the BYEs, and let it factor into my choices.

I currently have 9, 11 & 10 players missing for rounds 13, 14, 15. Taking into consideration who's likely to play I project to have 19, 18 & 19 players actually selected for these rounds. Obviously the 3 trades each will allow for some error.

I'm planning on hopefully hitting the BYEs with 8, 10 & 12 players missing for rounds 13, 14, 15 respectively. Using trades through rounds 14 and 15 to trade in players who have already had their BYEs, thoughts?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Hey Guys,

I currently have 9, 11 & 10 players missing for rounds 13, 14, 15. Taking into consideration who's likely to play I project to have 19, 18 & 19 players actually selected for these rounds. Obviously the 3 trades each will allow for some error.

I'm planning on hopefully hitting the BYEs with 8, 10 & 12 players missing for rounds 13, 14, 15 respectively. Using trades through rounds 14 and 15 to trade in players who have already had their BYEs, thoughts?
that is always the plan until players have an extra week break

Reactions: Prospector

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Hey Guys,

Its a little different for me this year.
Most completed their teams through the byes last year with the last round being round 13.

This year the byes are 13/14/15 and I am tracking to have full premo going into round 13 if Wells/Libba are counted.
So having a balance of close to 10/10/10 as possible is key based on having fully upgraded and then I will use the byes for 1-2 luxury sideways trades.

So yeah a little diff this year.

Obviously plans will go out the door a bit as team sheets can be quite nasty in this period.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
I still anticipate trading around the byes if I can get away with it.

I've sort of designed my team to be able to handle a month without trading from now to R14 with Adams, Hopper, Kerridge and Bennedy/Petracca all on field.

Yes, a few of those guys will hit max value before the byes but I'm prepared to hold out as long as they maintain their average. Obviously most other people will accelerate their team building over the next month and go into the byes with a full team, then have nothing to use to trade around the byes.

The way I see it is:
R11-14:
Points lost not having having upgraded premos: ~200 (1up 1down trade is probably 20-30ppg .. * 3 premos * 3 weeks -- best case)

R14-15:
Points gained trading around the byes: ~200, potentially more. (assuming potential donuts, anywhere from 40-100 points per trade)

Back2theFuture

Aspiring Coach
Apr 5, 2016
Yeah 3 trades per week and the best 18 players scores i.e. you have 20 players in rd 15, the best 18 will go towards your weekly total.

As the byes are next week, I just would like to clarify one question please.

The best 18 scores count towards your total but I am assuming that these players need to be on the field and the maximum amount included is as per a normal week.

For example, I cannot count the score of 10 MF (8 on field + 2 on bench) as there is one week where I do not have many backs or Feds playing.

Logical I know but best I ask now rather than finding out later.

Cheers
B2TF

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
As the byes are next week, I just would like to clarify one question please.

The best 18 scores count towards your total but I am assuming that these players need to be on the field and the maximum amount included is as per a normal week.

For example, I cannot count the score of 10 MF (8 on field + 2 on bench) as there is one week where I do not have many backs or Feds playing.

Logical I know but best I ask now rather than finding out later.

Cheers
B2TF
Yep spot on. Only on field players count. And only the best 18.

Reactions: Back2theFuture

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Not specifically related to byes, but was thinking at the end of the byes bringing in a bottom-priced non-playing loophole player. The Bombers look like the perfect team - assuming they play Sunday when the round 23 fixture is finalised, they'll play Sunday every week after the byes except for round 17. In round 17 Sydney play Friday night so I'm sure everyone has someone they can loophole from the Swans. So post-byes they will provide the perfect loophole option.

Tom Wallis looks like the prime option at $102k in the midfield to bring in at M10. He is rookie-listed and looks unlikely to get a game this year based on VFL form. Eades (FWD - weak VFL form) and Morgan (DEF - currently listed with quad injury, TBC timeframe) might be others to consider if you need a loophole on another line but are slightly more expensive at $117k.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Not specifically related to byes, but was thinking at the end of the byes bringing in a bottom-priced non-playing loophole player. The Bombers look like the perfect team - assuming they play Sunday when the round 23 fixture is finalised, they'll play Sunday every week after the byes except for round 17. In round 17 Sydney play Friday night so I'm sure everyone has someone they can loophole from the Swans. So post-byes they will provide the perfect loophole option.

Tom Wallis looks like the prime option at $102k in the midfield to bring in at M10. He is rookie-listed and looks unlikely to get a game this year based on VFL form. Eades (FWD - weak VFL form) and Morgan (DEF - currently listed with quad injury, TBC timeframe) might be others to consider if you need a loophole on another line but are slightly more expensive at $117k.

Very help helpful, cheers.

Back2theFuture

Aspiring Coach
Apr 5, 2016
Was fortunate enough to pick the Dangermouse as my vice captain loophole and using Kerridge as my captain who has the bye this week. Could someone please confirm as to when those points will update?

My guess at completion of round but wondering whether the final points score will update once the last game ends or once we are out of full lockout, appreciate your responses

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Was fortunate enough to pick the Dangermouse as my vice captain loophole and using Kerridge as my captain who has the bye this week. Could someone please confirm as to when those points will update?

My guess at completion of round but wondering whether the final points score will update once the last game ends or once we are out of full lockout, appreciate your responses
I'm pretty certain it will be updated when the last game ends.