Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I check the effect of any of my team changes on the byes but find I am, so far, always OK.
I seem to always end up with the least number of players in rnd.15.
Perfect.

ksghendo

May 8, 2015
Adelaide
My intention was to build a team with the byes in mind, and I started to. But as weeks rolled on....my team structure changed. I don't have half the players I originally had, so now I just worry about it when the time comes. But..leading up to the byes..my trades will be with the byes in mind.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Always have the byes in mind but after some rookies have topped out that all goes down the toilet

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I don't pay too much attention when picking my initial team, but byes are a big reason I'm going for Nicnat at R2 over Stef Martin

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I think a line like rucks, where there's a lot less flexibility and room to move, is the only line it's such a big deal with. You can trade into the byes a bit when the time comes but you start thinking about that 3-4 weeks out.

fazmountain

Patron '19
Jun 23, 2015
Canada
i know last year i was very conscious of the byes in the pre-season, and so were others. however, there has been very little talk of them online, in podcasts etc. to be honest, i havent even checked my team against the byes yet!

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
They're too late this year for me to consider. I'll probably have burned 20 trades by then. As Steve mentions, rucks might need to pay attention, especially if you're doing set-and-forget. Later in the season as we fill our side out with keepers we do need to pay a bit more attention.

I really want to go NicNat and Gawn in the rucks as a cheaper set-and-forget combo. But they both have the same bye, so I'm going to have to choose only one I think.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I really want to go NicNat and Gawn in the rucks as a cheaper set-and-forget combo. But they both have the same bye, so I'm going to have to choose only one I think.
For only 40 or 50k extra one of them could become Stef Martin, still reasonably cheap compared to Goldy

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
I'm struggling with my bye structure - particularly the middle round (14). Feel this year they may need to be considered more given the fact they are a little later and most teams will be pretty much complete by the time they roll around - you won't be in heavy trading mode and it may be hard to trade around donuts like we have been able to in the last few years. That's why I think an even balance could hold teams in good stead.

Looking at the players a lot of people will have in their final teams:

DEF: Heater and maybe Mcveigh
MID: Fyfe Danger Ablett Pendles Rocky Libba and probably Selwood
RUC: Goldy
FWD: Lids (if he stays injury free) Dusty Barlow

Out of the 13 players above, only 2 are from Round 14 (Mcveigh and Libba). 7/13 are round 15 and 4/13 are round 13. Ideally you would want to end up with a spread of 7/7/8 on field (10/10/10 in the team if possible - will be hard given it all depends on the rookies), however you could probably get away with 5/8/9 or something along those lines. The issue is I'm struggling to actually pick 5 round 14 bye players that I want and am able to fit in! Possible round 14 options on each line are:

DEF: Mcveigh Boyd Yeo Gov
MID: Gray Wines Parker JPK Hanners Titch Priddis Libba
RUC: Gawn Nicnat
FWD: Merrett? Wingard Buddy Dahlhaus

Looking at that list (I'm sure others will have players to add), there's not many that appeal to me, particularly defenders and forwards.
There's one spot left in the midfield - happy to pick one of those round 14 mids during the season.
Mcveigh is probably the only defender I'd want.
Buddy is a big big risk but at this stage I'm leaning towards taking it given his friendly bye round.
I really want Stef but my hand might be forced into getting Nicnat given the bye situation.

I know there will be injuries and you shouldn't be entirely basing your team around the byes, but if there are some close 50/50 calls the byes might be able to help people make a decision. It's encouraging me to take the risk with buddy and opt for Nicnat over Stef. Ultimately it will come down to the rookies which are playing during this period, but an even spread of premiums could really help limit the damage this season.

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
Might be worth checking that your starting premiums have a bit of a spread.

Rookies will come and go before the byes.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I can see McVeigh, Libba, Nic Nat being in the side, need one Sydney mid (upgrade target, once we work out who's the one going well in 2016), that leaves 1+ more spot minimum

Maybe Wingard, Dahlhaus or Buddy... Possibly Bont if he's doing really well. Suckling or Rampe down back mayyyyybe.

I wouldn't start Westhoff but if he's working up the ground with less rotations he can go on streaks of 105 average like 2n half of last year

Don't think I'd have Priddis to be honest, can't see him averaging over 115, handballs way to much. Maybe if I get a bunch of injuries in the middle.

Looks like I'll be starting Libba and Nic, then upgrading into McVeigh and a Sydney mid, hard to get a 5th. And that's the minimum you need pretty much

Reactions: currymunchers

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Maybe prioritise downgrading to rookies from WBD, Ess and Melb, then when you do, hold them for ages... WC, SYD, Port probably won't have many to downgrade to, unless Hewett doesn't play R1

Dunkley, Trengove, Collins, Polkinghorne are a few that probably won't play round 1. 3 of those are mid rookies though

Papley forward maybe