2018 Rookies

The Captain

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 5, 2018
Melbourne
I'm currently running 2-0-6 in the backline. Take out O'shea and Michocek from your list and add Lachie Murphy and that's what I've got. It's also the best I've felt about my team all preseason.

I'm not too keen on Mihocek. I don't think he'll generate much cash and I'm not too sure about his job security. Same with O'shea but Lachie Murphy will go up to O'shea if he's named and Murphy isn't.
Why Murphy?

Rhys

Patron '18
May 15, 2017
Plus, I do think h

I agree with you but I was using General Soreness in a more generic sense. Ruckman will miss games. Very few Ruckmen play 22 games in a season and I'd be surprised if this year was any different. All I'm saying is, having a genuine Rookie priced option as cover is preferable to a loophole donut. Your Round 1 team will all be playing but loophole options always present themselves throughout the year.
I agree with these sentiments entirely. Having a genuine R3 rookie would take a lot of the pressure off and also help out in round 10 for those thinking of going g with Ryder. That said, are there any decent options out there? I'm thinking Lycett or maybe English? Obviously I don't want to invest too much.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I agree with these sentiments entirely. Having a genuine R3 rookie would take a lot of the pressure off and also help out in round 10 for those thinking of going g with Ryder. That said, are there any decent options out there? I'm thinking Lycett or maybe English? Obviously I don't want to invest too much.
I've always thought the same, but recently changed my opinion.

So there's a few guys who MIGHT get games. Lets assume they play and they average 60.

During the other byes he can cover the other ruckman, assuming he has a different bye. That's only really helpful if he is significantly better than your 18th guy, which seems unlikely at that average. Best case you only have 18 one week then he gets you 60. If you have Ryder, if you're really lucky you get 120.

I reckon you'll make that much easily just by loopholing a non-playing guy.

They might make cash, but the likelihood of trading them to use that cash seems slim.

Lycett seems like the only guy who can score well enough but is too expensive for R3.

The only other way to go is a R/F to swing someone like Cox into the ruck when you need it. Some may laugh, but Cox isn't the worst option.

Otherwise just pick the $102k guy and pray the rucks stay healthy The chances of one of these other guys playing in the right week and scoring enough to be useful (compared to a loophole) seems very slim.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I've always thought the same, but recently changed my opinion.

So there's a few guys who MIGHT get games. Lets assume they play and they average 60.

During the other byes he can cover the other ruckman, assuming he has a different bye. That's only really helpful if he is significantly better than your 18th guy, which seems unlikely at that average. Best case you only have 18 one week then he gets you 60. If you have Ryder, if you're really lucky you get 120.

I reckon you'll make that much easily just by loopholing a non-playing guy.

They might make cash, but the likelihood of trading them to use that cash seems slim.

Lycett seems like the only guy who can score well enough but is too expensive for R3.

The only other way to go is a R/F to swing someone like Cox into the ruck when you need it. Some may laugh, but Cox isn't the worst option.

Otherwise just pick the $102k guy and pray the rucks stay healthy The chances of one of these other guys playing in the right week and scoring enough to be useful (compared to a loophole) seems very slim.
I feel like a lot of us are going in without Dangerfield, myself included currently, and you'll definitely make that up with the loophole if he's not in your side to be the safety valve. I just feel like a non-playing r3 with a whole bunch of Sunday games (Olango) is the way to go when you don't pick the guy who just averaged 136. Also, since I have no playing r3 I'm going Kruezer because if I need to trade down early it will let me get to anyone without having to make another trade. I just don't know exactly what the right play in the rucks this year is so I'm throwing cash at the problem.

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
More news coming through:

Tom Doedee and Darcy Fogerty of the Crows will debut.

Reactions: qarocks

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
Def rookies off to a good start! I hope they can average 70 or so, would be pretty handy.

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/20/young-saint-set-to-miss-season-opener/

One of St Kilda’s top-10 draft picks won’t be involved in the season opener against Brisbane this weekend, according to SEN newsman Sam Edmund.

Despite speculation both Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield will be on the Etihad Stadium turf on Saturday, one of them could be left in the stands.

“St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary has declared both Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield ready, but I’ve been told only one is going to get the chocolates,” Edmund told SEN Breakfast.

“Don’t ask me which one, but I would have thought both had been sensational.”

Meanwhile, a host of other youngsters are set to play on the weekend, with opportunities aplenty at the beginning of the campaign.

“Sam Murray and Jaidyn Stephenson will debut,” Edmund said of the Collingwood duo.

“Aaron Naughton is definitely playing for the Dogs.

“Tom Doodee and Darcy Fogarty for the Crows, Fremantle has shown the green light to Andrew Brayshaw and Bailey Banfield.

“Paddy Dow from Carlton is going to play, Tim Kelly as well at the Cats.

“Zac Langdon at GWS, and West Coast has got Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Daniel Venables and Jake Waterman all a chance.”

Reactions: crog100

Toadvine

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 15, 2018
Ben Guthrie‏ @BenGuthrie_1 hour ago
Paddy Dow confirmed to make his debut for Carlton against Richmond tomorrow night. Jarrod Garlett, Matt Kennedy and Aaron Mullett will all play for the Blues.

No O'Shea for anyone who had him in their calculations. Mullet has gotten the not depute being pretty average in the JLT.

Reactions: tiltraise

jkcfc

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 8, 2016
Now that J Garlett has been named would it be worth having him on the bench compared to D Fogarty to use the extra $36k elsewhere ?

Reactions: Prospector

Reggie P.

Mar 21, 2018
Here is my team. A few PODs and, hopefully, some playing rookies on the ground - any comments welcome (yes, I know Stringer is a big risk!)

Have $33K left:
upload_2018-3-21_13-25-25.png

kinggo

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 27, 2015
Here is my team. A few PODs and, hopefully, some playing rookies on the ground - any comments welcome (yes, I know Stringer is a big risk!)

Have $33K left:
View attachment 975
So much risk in EVERY line. Personally I'd be reducing this in a couple of lines.
Going to D4 with mid prices seems like you're going to miss some of the decent def rookies.
Wilson, Ross & Higgins all questionable rookie selections.

kinggo

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 27, 2015
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/20/young-saint-set-to-miss-season-opener/

One of St Kilda’s top-10 draft picks won’t be involved in the season opener against Brisbane this weekend, according to SEN newsman Sam Edmund.

Despite speculation both Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield will be on the Etihad Stadium turf on Saturday, one of them could be left in the stands.

“St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary has declared both Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield ready, but I’ve been told only one is going to get the chocolates,” Edmund told SEN Breakfast.

“Don’t ask me which one, but I would have thought both had been sensational.”

Meanwhile, a host of other youngsters are set to play on the weekend, with opportunities aplenty at the beginning of the campaign.

“Sam Murray and Jaidyn Stephenson will debut,” Edmund said of the Collingwood duo.

“Aaron Naughton is definitely playing for the Dogs.

“Tom Doodee and Darcy Fogarty for the Crows, Fremantle has shown the green light to Andrew Brayshaw and Bailey Banfield.

“Paddy Dow from Carlton is going to play, Tim Kelly as well at the Cats.

“Zac Langdon at GWS, and West Coast has got Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Daniel Venables and Jake Waterman all a chance.”
Given Clark has just been confirmed could we see Coffield miss out?

Reggie P.

Mar 21, 2018
So much risk in EVERY line. Personally I'd be reducing this in a couple of lines.
Going to D4 with mid prices seems like you're going to miss some of the decent def rookies.
Wilson, Ross & Higgins all questionable rookie selections.
Thanks kinggo, some great points there.