2018 Midfield Premiums

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Would love to start without Paddy Dangerfield at the 750K but try as I might I just can't see a way to do it.

Dusty will probably go around from the start without being in my team, obviously he's an absolute star but there is enough questions for me about his personal drive coming off the season he had last time around, premiership hangover, harder draw ect that I'll look to him as an upgrade target.

Fyfe & Cripps have been locked away for me from the start of pre-season, so much value in the price for both obviously Cripps still has a bit to prove but has a very solid SC style of play, can see him improving 5+pts on his best ave so far & that sees him up into that high end premium range, Fyfe seems like a no-brainer not much needs to be said with him.

Gaz has been in and out at times but this little Hammy scare probably ends his chances of being in my starting team,

Josh Kelly & Stephen Coniglio both currently in.

Geoff123

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Aug 10, 2017
Would love to start without Paddy Dangerfield at the 750K but try as I might I just can't see a way to do it.

Dusty will probably go around from the start without being in my team, obviously he's an absolute star but there is enough questions for me about his personal drive coming off the season he had last time around, premiership hangover, harder draw ect that I'll look to him as an upgrade target.

Fyfe & Cripps have been locked away for me from the start of pre-season, so much value in the price for both obviously Cripps still has a bit to prove but has a very solid SC style of play, can see him improving 5+pts on his best ave so far & that sees him up into that high end premium range, Fyfe seems like a no-brainer not much needs to be said with him.

Gaz has been in and out at times but this little Hammy scare probably ends his chances of being in my starting team,

Josh Kelly & Stephen Coniglio both currently in.

Geoff123

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Aug 10, 2017
What’s does everyone think of Zerret in an improving bombers side (hopefully) maintain or possibly increase his averages I have him starting worth sticking with ?

m4ttdog

Aspiring Coach
Patron '21
Jun 9, 2016
Anyone else thinking Gibbs could go to the next level? Should get more points in a winning side

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Currently have Danger, T.Mitchell, Sloane, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, Arma and LDU. I have also toyed not starting Danger as I am feeling him and Gaz are going to spend a lot more time forward in rotation. Can he still pump out the huge numbers with Selwood and Gas there too? The Crows have 6 of their first 9 games at home so I think Sloane could get off to a hot start, Fyfe and Cripps locked in good value and T.Mitchell is just a ball winning machine so gone him over Dusty at this stage

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Currently have Danger, T.Mitchell, Sloane, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, Arma and LDU. I have also toyed not starting Danger as I am feeling him and Gaz are going to spend a lot more time forward in rotation. Can he still pump out the huge numbers with Selwood and Gas there too? The Crows have 6 of their first 9 games at home so I think Sloane could get off to a hot start, Fyfe and Cripps locked in good value and T.Mitchell is just a ball winning machine so gone him over Dusty at this stage

Geez that's a deep steep starting midfield, can't knock the strategy but also can't go that way myself after being burnt last season starting similar last year.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Geez that's a deep steep starting midfield, can't knock the strategy but also can't go that way myself after being burnt last season starting similar last year.
Yeah spent a bit of money there! If the fwd and def rookies aren't there I am going to have to re evaluate the mids. For now feel like I've got a good balance

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018
Ok can someone explain the Adam Treloar debacle last year. A premium 2016 and I held him all 2017 for him somehow to return to 101 as an average but I swear every week I was furious at him. So besides the little niggles. What happened to him? He was always a butcher!

Can't ignore this article about the strength of schedule.
http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-s...-of-strength-of-schedule-for-the-2018-fixture

If the link isn't allowed just let me know and I'll remove it.

Pendles or Treloar with DeDrinky out seems like the choice and Adam Treloar has a point to prove with GWS going so well.

Reactions: Tevez17

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018
I think if Mills kicks on and Hannebery gets back to his best Parkers points won't hit the highs they did a few seasons ago

^100% Parker is the only one who is a consistent fwd with great hands. Mills stays back but honestly if Horse puts Parker fwd he's going to be 130+ or 80 depending on the gamestyle of the opponents. Great value if back to his best but I don't think he can do it.

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018

So query then? Brayshaw, Banfield, T.Kelly, Barry, Dow. Where do the best from here fit in?? Jaeger and Griffin both present value and will get more cash than Coniglio who will eventually need a trade realistically.

I had Coniglio before I realised there was better value elsewhere in the fwd and def and the risk of him going 110+ which he would need to to be a top 8 isn't likely. Ward, Kelly, Shiel, Whitfield and potentially Greene who always had midfield aspirations and will be rewarded for being a superb competitor in the sense he won't let you win the day against him if you try to match him up. Anyway TL:DR

How are you so deep in the mids when the good rooks are there? Coniglio isn't top 8 and needs an upgrade at some point GWS bat too deep and Kelly is the exception a genuine Brownlow contender.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
So query then? Brayshaw, Banfield, T.Kelly, Barry, Dow. Where do the best from here fit in?? Jaeger and Griffin both present value and will get more cash than Coniglio who will eventually need a trade realistically.

I had Coniglio before I realised there was better value elsewhere in the fwd and def and the risk of him going 110+ which he would need to to be a top 8 isn't likely. Ward, Kelly, Shiel, Whitfield and potentially Greene who always had midfield aspirations and will be rewarded for being a superb competitor in the sense he won't let you win the day against him if you try to match him up. Anyway TL:DR

How are you so deep in the mids when the good rooks are there? Coniglio isn't top 8 and needs an upgrade at some point GWS bat too deep and Kelly is the exception a genuine Brownlow contender.

I see Coniglio going around 105+ which at his price is value, but locking in a guy at that average means I'll need to nail the other 7 spots so it is tricky I agree, GWS don't bat as deep as it looks on paper in my opinion though I don't think 110 is impossible.

Reactions: Prospector

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Anyone else thinking Gibbs could go to the next level? Should get more points in a winning side

Nah doesn't interest me.

But a guy by the name of Matt Crouch does from the Crows. Looks to be one of the next SC kings. I'm tipping 115-120 AVG this season for Crouch as well as a sniff of a Brownlow Medal.

Reactions: Captain Danger

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC

I have Banfield, Barry & T.Kelly on the bench, I think Griffen and O'meara are extremely risky picks and are no certainty to make $$ did you pick O'meara last year? Coniglio averaged around 105 when he was fit in the GWS midfield, if I can get a guy that Averages 105-110 for 450k I'm starting him every day of the week, thats a nice M8! Griffen hasn't put a season together since he went up there and O'Meara's body is about as reliable as a wet toothpick. Shiel & Whitfield would be doing well to average 100 & Greene plays as a perm fwd now.

It could all change of course but at the moment I am going for guaranteed scoring in the mids, the fwd and def premiums aren't super reliable so that is where I would rather chase value with guys like Christensen, Devon Smith, Petracca,O'Shea, Sicily maybe even Crameri etc

There are also a lot of under priced premo mids so I think ill go deeper than other years and look to upgrade FWD's and DEF's when I know who the consistent scorers will be.

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018
I have Banfield, Barry & T.Kelly on the bench, I think Griffen and O'meara are extremely risky picks and are no certainty to make $$ did you pick O'meara last year? Coniglio averaged around 105 when he was fit in the GWS midfield, if I can get a guy that Averages 105-110 for 450k I'm starting him every day of the week, thats a nice M8! Griffen hasn't put a season together since he went up there and O'Meara's body is about as reliable as a wet toothpick. Shiel & Whitfield would be doing well to average 100 & Greene plays as a perm fwd now.

It could all change of course but at the moment I am going for guaranteed scoring in the mids, the fwd and def premiums aren't super reliable so that is where I would rather chase value with guys like Christensen, Devon Smith, Petracca,O'Shea, Sicily maybe even Crameri etc

There are also a lot of under priced premo mids so I think ill go deeper than other years and look to upgrade FWD's and DEF's when I know who the consistent scorers will be.

He averaged that at the expense of a Shiel who was underdone and Ward who went back and lost points due to that shift. Both of those guys in with Kelly and Coniglio just means IMO he's not 105+ and that makes him a huge risk as that would put him as the 18th best mid from last year and that's giving him huge leeway. I honestly had him most of the preseason based on Giants favorable start.

But aim of the game is 8 of the top 10 mids giving you some slack if you picked two from the start who slipped. I would be honestly interested to see what you are going in with the Defs and the Fwds as I've gone for value in both. But can't see how your M8 could give up possibly 15-20 points a week??

Probable top 10???:
Fyfe
Titch
Danger
Kelly
Oliver
M Crouch
Zorko (tentatively)
Martin

Last two:??????
Bont
Sloane
Cripps
Merret

Lowest score from those guys in the original 8 was fyfe at 108 average and we know that's a joke! Treloar presents the same upside! but if he goes to what we expect he's a keeper at 111?? Requiring no trade.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016

Stating the obvious here but the midfield is the only line where there are so many super-premos that going for a cheaper line of premos (110 av) leaves you vulnerable to missing out on the 115-120+ super premos. And you need every single one of the super premos if you want a chance at winning it all.

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018
I see Coniglio going around 105+ which at his price is value, but locking in a guy at that average means I'll need to nail the other 7 spots so it is tricky I agree, GWS don't bat as deep as it looks on paper in my opinion though I don't think 110 is impossible.

As I said in the reply to luke394 Kelly's emergence coupled with GWS knowing they have limited years of this elite group of kids coming through means Shiel Ward Kelly Coniglio means I don't see the value but I honestly hope you are right. I really rate the guy and his style of going to the oppositions best mid and counteracting him.