Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Not many decent rookies though, most of the guys who might get picked scored around 40 or so which is awkward.

What fwd rookies do you like besides fritsch?
Hard to know until teams are named. You'd think Fritsh, Ryan, Rayner and Fogarty are in line to start and should make $150k fairly quickly. Others like Dawson, Stephenson, Venables, Partington, Garlett, Higgins, Keeffe are watchers and consider if named. Throw in Christensen too. There's also a few guys in that $250-300k range who might fit the bill - Dunkley, McLuggage, Bell. Even someone like Tucker who collected the pill 27 times yesterday at $295k.

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
Listened to the fwd podcast today and no mention of the melk-man either.
i am still very confident of a 85-90 avg, I really think the dees will be super attacking this year and Melksham is a key part of that. His JLT scores were positive and I think an example of what we will get in the season proper.
I think he can get to around 460k and side swap to Buddy down the line if he needs to be upgraded, or stick as F6.

My lineup down forward was heeney/billings/smith/melk/christensen/fristch so it ended up being pretty close to what the lads recommened which is handy.

Reactions: Prospector

arnot2mcbean

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 15, 2018
I'm struggling to pick between Bell & Christensen at the moment.

The guys on the podcast seem to have Bundy well in front but I'm not so sure. Bell has been scoring well and playing through the midfield during the JLT with limited time on ground. I've got Bell shading him just at the moment,

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm struggling to pick between Bell & Christensen at the moment.

The guys on the podcast seem to have Bundy well in front but I'm not so sure. Bell has been scoring well and playing through the midfield during the JLT with limited time on ground. I've got Bell shading him just at the moment,
The podcast was done before the weekends JLT where Bell was a standout and Bundy not so much. It's a tough one. I like them both but not sure if I want 2 sub 300k guys up forward, from a team that will finish bottom 4.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
The podcast was done before the weekends JLT where Bell was a standout and Bundy not so much. It's a tough one. I like them both but not sure if I want 2 sub 300k guys up forward, from a team that will finish bottom 4.
Bundy was playing sore for most of the game ...

Reactions: Tuk and Steve

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Thoughts on Blakely? Went on a tear last year before he got injured with an average over 110+ across 11 games with only 2 sub-100 games.

JLT scores are unimpressive but looks like he was playing in defence. Reckon he'll move back to the midfield or has Fyfe pushed him out? I would have thought there's plenty of midfield minutes for him and they were just giving some of the others a run through JLT.

At $490k he's mighty tempting...

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Thoughts on Blakely? Went on a tear last year before he got injured with an average over 110+ across 11 games with only 2 sub-100 games.

JLT scores are unimpressive but looks like he was playing in defence. Reckon he'll move back to the midfield or has Fyfe pushed him out? I would have thought there's plenty of midfield minutes for him and they were just giving some of the others a run through JLT.

At $490k he's mighty tempting...
Had him bolded on a shortlist for guys to think about at the end of last season. It's a big shame he isn't a defender, he might've had as high a pick % as Gawn!

Anyways don't think the price point really works. He probably won't be a top 10 mid and he's too expensive to be a good stepping stone. Unfortunately a player that you just have to rule out because of price.

Reactions: fazmountain

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Had him bolded on a shortlist for guys to think about at the end of last season. It's a big shame he isn't a defender, he might've had as high a pick % as Gawn!

Anyways don't think the price point really works. He probably won't be a top 10 mid and he's too expensive to be a good stepping stone. Unfortunately a player that you just have to rule out because of price.
Yeah I think that's my thoughts. Certainly as a defender he'd be a must-have. If you could be certain of his midfield role he'd be good for a 105+ average.

Will keep a close eye and see where he's named. There's also the FYRL factor to consider as well....

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Yeah I think that's my thoughts. Certainly as a defender he'd be a must-have. If you could be certain of his midfield role he'd be good for a 105+ average.

Will keep a close eye and see where he's named. There's also the FYRL factor to consider as well....
I thought Blakely scored much better with the loose, rebounding halfback role? It's kind of similar to Yeo for me...I'm never picking that guy if he's playing midfield only but he scored really well when he was playing halfback.

At the end of the day, unlike Yeo, I just can't consider Blakely because he's mid only so it's pretty moot for me.

PiesJosh

Mar 27, 2016
I've currently got McGrath and Weitering in my Defence at D2 & D3. Think their pedigree is worth considering. At least one of them could wind up being a Top 10 Defender. Obviously I'm hoping both are, but if it doesn't work out, I think their floors are high enough to not lose money on the way to a premium.

Tuk

Mar 14, 2018
Hi guys.

Would love people’s thoughts on Bonner down back for Port Adelaide. They aren’t a team I follow too closely but with Pittard going down, do we think it opens the door for Bonner?

Or better giving him a miss with the defensive rookie options? He is currently my D3 (going light on down back).

Cheers.

Tuk

Mar 14, 2018
I've currently got McGrath and Weitering in my Defence at D2 & D3. Think their pedigree is worth considering. At least one of them could wind up being a Top 10 Defender. Obviously I'm hoping both are, but if it doesn't work out, I think their floors are high enough to not lose money on the way to a premium.

Would probably only go one of them for mine. The chances of picking one to have a break out year is much much higher than nailing two for exemplary years.

Being a Carlton supporter, I’d pick Weitering.

PiesJosh

Mar 27, 2016
Would probably only go one of them for mine. The chances of picking one to have a break out year is much much higher than nailing two for exemplary years.

Being a Carlton supporter, I’d pick Weitering.

I liken it to Bill Simmons saying the Browns should take QB's at picks 1 AND 4. The odds of getting at least one to fire are better. And like I said, at least they won't drop in value.

Reactions: Tuk

Tuk

Mar 14, 2018
I liken it to Bill Simmons saying the Browns should take QB's at picks 1 AND 4. The odds of getting at least one to fire are better. And like I said, at least they won't drop in value.

This may be true. However, you aren’t after a single QB to march to SuperBowl glory, you’re after 6 top defenders to score consistently for your team.

Just my 2 cents.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
This may be true. However, you aren’t after a single QB to march to SuperBowl glory, you’re after 6 top defenders to score consistently for your team.

Just my 2 cents.
Being the Browns, chances are they'd just end up with 2 disappointments :D

Reactions: PiesJosh

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I thought Blakely scored much better with the loose, rebounding halfback role? It's kind of similar to Yeo for me...I'm never picking that guy if he's playing midfield only but he scored really well when he was playing halfback.

At the end of the day, unlike Yeo, I just can't consider Blakely because he's mid only so it's pretty moot for me.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...l-new-game-plan-for-2018-20180314-p4z4e8.html

Recent drills have focused on quicker ball movement out of defence, according to Hagdorn, with specific players used to move the ball accurately up the corridor to give Fremantle's small forward brigade better scoring opportunities.

Lyon has charged six of his most skilled defenders with the critical task of ensuring quick movement through the middle, which should give Fremantle's forwards better avenues to goal. Promising youngsters Connor Blakely, Alex Pearce and Ed Langdon, recent recruits Nathan Wilson (GWS) and Joel Hamling (Bulldogs) and veteran Michael Johnson - whose future was uncertain last year - are some of the better kicks down back for the Dockers and have been used consistently in training to kickstart attack from defence through better movement up the middle.

Interesting reading. Not quite sure what to make of it from a SC perspective. There is certainly mention of Walters with the midfield group and looks like Blakely locked for a half-back role.

Reactions: Seppo

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I have no idea what you are talking about ...
I wouldn't worry about it...Bill Simmons is an idiot and his 2 QB idea is a massive confirmation of his idiocy. Now back to AFL.

Reactions: PiesJosh

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...l-new-game-plan-for-2018-20180314-p4z4e8.html

Recent drills have focused on quicker ball movement out of defence, according to Hagdorn, with specific players used to move the ball accurately up the corridor to give Fremantle's small forward brigade better scoring opportunities.

Lyon has charged six of his most skilled defenders with the critical task of ensuring quick movement through the middle, which should give Fremantle's forwards better avenues to goal. Promising youngsters Connor Blakely, Alex Pearce and Ed Langdon, recent recruits Nathan Wilson (GWS) and Joel Hamling (Bulldogs) and veteran Michael Johnson - whose future was uncertain last year - are some of the better kicks down back for the Dockers and have been used consistently in training to kickstart attack from defence through better movement up the middle.

Interesting reading. Not quite sure what to make of it from a SC perspective. There is certainly mention of Walters with the midfield group and looks like Blakely locked for a half-back role.
My take is that I can't pick any of them this year, but Blakely will be locked as a starter in my backline with Laird for years to come starting in 2019.