2018 Defence Premiums

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
I have Laird, Hibberd, Shaw and Sicily ATM. Gone a little deep as I am unsure there are enough reliable rookies around. Hopefully some come about through the JLT. Im finding the DEF's very hard atm :confused:

Reactions: zac

zac

Apr 8, 2016
I have Laird, Hibberd, Shaw and Sicily ATM. Gone a little deep as I am unsure there are enough reliable rookies around. Hopefully some come about through the JLT. Im finding the DEF's very hard atm :confused:
I’m going that deep in def but the good thing is having Sicily if there isn’t enough rookies up forward then chuck him down there, at the moment there are more decent rookies down back then up forward.

Pecks

Mar 6, 2018
Quite worried about Hanley and his 'field all players' bye. Is t his why he is not highly selected so far?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Quite worried about Hanley and his 'field all players' bye. Is t his why he is not highly selected so far?

Can be seen as a bit of a positive I think, if he's not working out seems a perfect time to jump ship, he's in my team currently, would like to see more in JLT2 though.

Cassat

Patron '18
Patron '19
Feb 27, 2016
Fremantle
I have Laird, Hibberd and McGrath locked at this stage. I know McGrath does not have a premium price tag but I expect him to be a keeper this season if he runs through the midfield as expected.

My D3 has flip flopped between Lloyd, Witherden and Shaw. Not sure who will land that spot at this stage.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
That was a pretty exceptional second half from Savage, still don't think I can bring myself to start him though.
Hoping Hibbard's drops his ownership a little.

arnot2mcbean

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 15, 2018
I have Laird, Hibberd and McGrath locked at this stage. I know McGrath does not have a premium price tag but I expect him to be a keeper this season if he runs through the midfield as expected.

My D3 has flip flopped between Lloyd, Witherden and Shaw. Not sure who will land that spot at this stage.
What are you expecting McGrath to average?

We saw Parish play the majority of his second year in the midfield and could only muster a mid 70's average, I'm a bit worried McGrath might do something similar.

Reactions: Prospector

Cassat

Patron '18
Patron '19
Feb 27, 2016
Fremantle
What are you expecting McGrath to average?

We saw Parish play the majority of his second year in the midfield and could only muster a mid 70's average, I'm a bit worried McGrath might do something similar.

Look I am hoping for 90 to 95. I think he could be a star. Plus Jobe is gone and who knows when father time will catch up with Goddard. ANd does anyone believe in Stringer the mid?

He is very clean (83% DE) and picked up a lot of loose ball in defence last year (298 uncontested vs 109 contested). Depending on his role I could see him as link man who gets fed from the pack then disposes it cleanly inside 50. Not an in an under player but more an outside runner. Remember all the cheap ball Brent Stanton used to get on the outside? Could McGrath do that, only with cleaner skills.

Last years D8 (Kade Simpson) averaged 93.4. Can McGrath get that as a pure mid? I think so. For comparison 93.4 in the midfield is around M52 (Gaff last year). I am generally a guns and rookies coach but he is only 1 of 2 mid pricers that made my team this year (and Christensen may not be there by round 1). Definitely worth a punt in my opinion.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Laird locked. Yeo and Savage fighting out D2 at the moment. Still thinking about Hibbo and Howe. Not a lot else interesting me at the moment. Keeping half an eye on KK, Hanley and Wilson.

I reckon if Pittard goes alright in JLT2 he'll get locked in. Can't knock him back at that price.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Savage becomes an interesting one. Killed it last night pumping out a 140-odd, seems as though he has taken on Montagna's role.

Never been SC relevant but averaged 87 in 2017 but 100 post bye, if he puts in a similar performance for JLT2 he will be hard to ignore.
Averaged 129.5 across the two JLT games he's found his way into my D3 spot sorta between him, Shaw & Lloyd atm. Always had the potential to go big, maybe he takes Roberton's role?

Reactions: doddy2731

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Averaged 129.5 across the two JLT games he's found his way into my D3 spot sorta between him, Shaw & Lloyd atm. Always had the potential to go big, maybe he takes Roberton's role?
Also averaged really well, 100+, on the way home last year.
Problem is: Richo likes his defenders to provide defense as well as offense. Savage was dropped last year, from what I have heard, because his defensive side was poor.
Also, Richo doesn't necessarily pick out the one player to be the sole distributor. It depends on match-ups and can even change within a game. Roberton/Webster/Savage might all play that role.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Also averaged really well, 100+, on the way home last year.
Problem is: Richo likes his defenders to provide defense as well as offense. Savage was dropped last year, from what I have heard, because his defensive side was poor.
Also, Richo doesn't necessarily pick out the one player to be the sole distributor. It depends on match-ups and can even change within a game. Roberton/Webster/Savage might all play that role.
Will be interesting to see who takes the points consistently

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
The more I analyse things, the more confident I am running a 2 premo & 4 onfield rookie setup, given the depth of rookies likely to be available round 1. Frees up cash to have a Bundy @ F5 and a Cripps or Cogs @M6.

Whose running this setup in DEF?

crog100

Patron '18
Patron '19
Dec 15, 2015
The more I analyse things, the more confident I am running a 2 premo & 4 onfield rookie setup, given the depth of rookies likely to be available round 1. Frees up cash to have a Bundy @ F5 and a Cripps or Cogs @M6.

Whose running this setup in DEF?

I've got the same setup currently. It led me to put Sicily forward and Keefe back to give a bit of flexibility to try fix it if it goes badly. That probably should be a warning sign I guess, feels risky but I think we need to take the best rookies wherever they are and the forward rookies appear less certain.

Reactions: Prospector

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
I've got the same setup currently. It led me to put Sicily forward and Keefe back to give a bit of flexibility to try fix it if it goes badly. That probably should be a warning sign I guess, feels risky but I think we need to take the best rookies wherever they are and the forward rookies appear less certain.

Yep, I am definitely set on playing only one onfield rookie in the FWD line. That will not change.

The only other possibility for me is going 3 onfield rookies in the MID, swinging Sicily back in place of one of my rookies @ D3, and choosing a premo FWD in place of Sicily.

I just feel more confident with the first option though. Feels better having Cogs @ M6 as opposed to M5