2017 Backline Primos

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Doc - 591K, still grinding my teeth over this guy. Had him two years ago and he was frustrating. Let him run against me last year and he broke out. 591K is a fair bit to pay for a guy who has only had one big season.

Simmo - 578K, I've never liked this bloke much and it hurt me last year as he averaged 10points higher than in any of the previous five season. Looks like a spike in an otherwise set and consistent scoring pattern and on that basis shouldn't start him.

Shaw - 576K, has put his early career erraticness behind him. The main risk would be if he gets tagged in a couple of early games and others pick him up cheaper than you'd paid at the start but he's the most likely of the high priced options for me.

Matt Boyd - 563K, old I guess like a few of the backline options but did well for those who put their trust in him last year. The knock on him then was old and always gets injured - well he stayed together just fine in the role he's playing now. Murphy coming back might take some points off him.

Tags - 538K, disappointed me as a forward line primo last year but he should be able to deliver adequate backline output.

Rance - 535K, I haven't really crunched the numbers properly but I think Rance goes better when Richmond goes worse, and that would intuitively make sense. So how do you think the Tiges will go this year. I'm hoping for a bit of an improvement with the new look midfield so I'm steering clear of the male model.

Adams - 527K, midfielder. Pies should have plenty of flankers to choose from this year. Let's hope he's put those injuries behind him because I'm locking him in.

Laird - 526K, I like watching this bloke. Nice consistent performer. Second picked for me.

James Kelly - 523K, old but then so are lots of these guys. Hard to pick what will happen with the Dons this year. I've left him out mostly because of the uncertainty.

Burger - 515K, sixth best defender last year. Plays different roles so I don't think you'd want to pay top dollar at the start of the year.

JJ - 513K, this bloke will be in a lot of teams after he stole the Norm Smith and ran. Good to watch. Haven't got him at the moment but I can't really think of many convincing arguments to talk you out of him. Have the Dogs got a tough start to the year?

Vince - 501K, I've got this bloke at D3 at the moment but I'm not completely sure. Hibberd coming in might release Vince back up the ground? But then there's a few putting their hands up for midfield minutes at the Dees.

Howe - 500K, people talk about role uncertainty because he scored so much more as a back than up forward. But is there seriously any role uncertainty? Keeffe is apparently training with the forwards.

Pittard - 499K, I never seem to get to see Port play do I just don't know enough about Jasper to make a call. Silly looking haircut. Silly sounding name. I read a couple of Port fans who seen him at training saying it looked like he'd beefed up a bit. Need to do a bit more research.

Gibson - 490K, safe option to average 90. That won't be enough this year.

McDonald - 488K, has been very good in patches and then very quiet in other patches. If you wanted him it would probably be better to get him after a quiet patch wouldn't it?

Houli - 486K, if the Tiges had Yarren to play half back and takes some pressure off this bloke I would seriously contemplate him. Too easy to sit on.

McVeigh - 483K, another one that burned me hard last year. Unforgiven.

Hodge - 481K, yes he's old, yes he gets injured a bit, and yes he will probably be managed. Haven't got him in the current side. Haven't completely ruled him out.

Williams - 480K, a bit like Pittard in that for some reason I just haven't seen this much of this bloke play. Bit more research needed on my part before I can definitely rule him out. Or in.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I like Hodgey, more midfield probably... I also had Enright pretty much all last year, big fan of the older picks, also had Boyd... I think Hodgey have a bigger role than McVeigh did at Sydney last year, hopefully it doesn't end up like McVeigh 2016... In just 2015 Hodgey did average 110ish in the middle, surely 100+ isn't out of the question, hopefully 105ish

as an early look I like Adams, Laird, Hodgey and maybe Montagna

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Docherty is too expensive, same as Shaw. Simpson did much better than usual last year and is an old fart so I don't see up from here, won't start with Boyd, won't hurt me not having him, can't go higher than 103 average and other options should manage similar safely with less downside, Vince I've thought about, I think Dees will be looking at the future in the midfield, and his points will be shared more with Hibberd... JJ, not sure, happy to trade him in maybe after a dip in form, I see him as much more up and down than Adams, Hodgey, Laird types so maybe get JJ cheaper at some point but no issue with starting him... [got a little bit of a bad feeling about JJ]

(This year is different to last year in terms of picking oldies, last year I picked them because I thought they could just about hold their average from 2015, maybe lose a little value, wasn't confident in anyone and wanted a safe approach because my aim was a cash league [came 2nd in the end], where as this year I think there's good value in premiums, their average should improve, they look safe to hold similar average to last year at worst case)

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Looking forward to some preseason games want to look at Williams, Lloyd an t McDonald if they can take next step

Tommy MaC will do what he always does and stir interest and let us down, highest average of 96 in '15' but only a career average of 80 I don't see him being in the top 10 defenders.
Williams is one that I'm also interested in, averaged 88 last season did fade late though but another pre season and Shaw's influence he will be one to watch.

Reactions: Dino
Jan 28, 2017
Tommy MaC will do what he always does and stir interest and let us down, highest average of 96 in '15' but only a career average of 80 I don't see him being in the top 10 defenders.
Williams is one that I'm also interested in, averaged 88 last season did fade late though but another pre season and Shaw's influence he will be one to watch.
I only thought of tommy mac as I just do not trust JJ however another I'm thinking is howe for a smoky pick

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
As a Melbourne supporter Howe can get stuffed! Hope the Maggies fall apart this season, and the Dees give him a middle finger.
JJ will be popular but I think teams may just put a bit more time into him this year so he may be a good pick up a little later if he dips In price.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Sitting at Docherty, Shaw, Adams & Laird, at the moment.

Doc is over priced no doubt but got to give it to him he bloody performed last season, Hodge & Joey interest me both big ceilings on their day and fairly priced, big Z Williams fan but not conviced just yet but also don't think the pre-season stuff will help with that

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Call me boring but after last season my main aim is to have consistent and duriable players.
Same. I said I wouldn't have guys coming back from injury or a limited preseason. Finding it hard to stick to that mantra.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
4 500K+ guys in defence feels a bit iffy to me but does see to at first glance one of the more reliable lines,

The more I think about it the more Docherty could become Hodge or even McGrath

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
not many talking about the backs but whats everyone thinking on the likes ok Doch and Shaw
start or look at them as upgrade options when there prices goes down i currently have both in my side but its alot of cash

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
Also anyone getting on Tuohy looked good in his new role on the weekend
but im feeling it could be a trap

Reactions: Tevez17

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
not many talking about the backs but whats everyone thinking on the likes ok Doch and Shaw
start or look at them as upgrade options when there prices goes down i currently have both in my side but its alot of cash

Personally im finding DEF as the toughest line in terms of confidence levels re individual selection.

Currently I have neither of the above with some concerns at their price points such as Shaw's perhaps diminishing roll and Doc with a lack of scoring history albeit he looked amazing last year.

Reactions: Brad

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

Doc is priced too high for me to start, Shaw I'm 99% starting with, Adams is a lock.

Mills and KKolo both hovering around my team but D3 to high and not enough cash for D4s.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I reckon Doc is likely to be a good pick but he's no bargain and I doubt I'll be starting him.

Shaw is in and out of my team. He's in at the moment but he's the primo I'm least sure of. If I can talk myself into a Vince or even a Hartlett instead of Shaw I can have Goldy at R2. Otherwise I have to go a cheaper Sauce / Ryder / Sandi type at R2.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Doc is priced too high for me to start, Shaw I'm 99% starting with, Adams is a lock.

Mills and KKolo both hovering around my team but D3 to high and not enough cash for D4s.

Haha 57mins later & Doc is in my team... perfect world I'd start Shaw, Adams, Laird but all same bye week unfortunately.

Reactions: Brad and Steve