Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
First bye week and things get very interesting indeed.
I've got 19 on-field if everyone plays, 16 if all of Z Williams, Whitfield and M Crouch are out.
I'd rather not trade but I may have no option.

Dash

Development Coach
Apr 6, 2016
Not much money 18k and 18 trades
Any trade advice for byes welcome and the Whitfield news of course.

Laird, Sicily, Whitfield, Duursma, Clark, Answerth, (Burgess, Marsh)
Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Neale, Libba, Walsh, Heeney, Atkins, (O Baker, Scott, Setterfield)
Gawn, Grundy, (Bines)
Boak, T Kelly, Dunkley, Danger, J Cameron, Balta (Parker, Corbett)

nawtay

Aspiring Coach
May 20, 2015
They have said Whitfield will be available after the byes but that doesn't necessarily mean that he will come back in round 15 with this being a 4-6 week injury. Not what we want during the byes when fielding 18 is going to be difficult most weeks. I will be holding this week and then reassess next week, potentially bringing in a round 12 defender.

Reactions: m4ttdog

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Not much money 18k and 18 trades
Any trade advice for byes welcome and the Whitfield news of course.

Laird, Sicily, Whitfield, Duursma, Clark, Answerth, (Burgess, Marsh)
Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Neale, Libba, Walsh, Heeney, Atkins, (O Baker, Scott, Setterfield)
Gawn, Grundy, (Bines)
Boak, T Kelly, Dunkley, Danger, J Cameron, Balta (Parker, Corbett)
In the past I've generally found that, during the byes, whatever trade plans I make prior to teams selections are worthless.
I can put together all kinds of plans: "if this player is in/out then I will trade ...." But then unexpected ins/outs have me scrambling to adjust.
So while I consider possibilities in advance of team selections they are just that - possibilities.

Any advice as to potential trades for you can only be general and pretty much self-evident:
try to keep the rookie downgrade/upgrade cycle going
don't ruin your team structure purely to get 18+ players on-field in each bye week
I think most people will trade out Whitfield but don't do so automatically - he may only miss 3 games. Unlikely, I know, but a possibility. Even if he misses 5 weeks does that make him a must trade?

nawtay

Aspiring Coach
May 20, 2015
Who do you think has more chance of coming back into their side over the next few weeks? Bailey Scott or Will Hayes?

Dunny29

Mar 11, 2016
In the past I've generally found that, during the byes, whatever trade plans I make prior to teams selections are worthless.
I can put together all kinds of plans: "if this player is in/out then I will trade ...." But then unexpected ins/outs have me scrambling to adjust.
So while I consider possibilities in advance of team selections they are just that - possibilities.

Any advice as to potential trades for you can only be general and pretty much self-evident:
don't ruin your team structure purely to get 18+ players on-field in each bye week
I think most people will trade out Whitfield but don't do so automatically - he may only miss 3 games. Unlikely, I know, but a possibility. Even if he misses 5 weeks does that make him a must trade?
Completely agree with this, especially 'don't ruin your team structure purely to get 18+ players on-field in each bye week'

I was looking at having 18 playing, now with injuries and possible selections I might be looking at 15/16.

With trades/cash generation already beyond tight for most, I'm considering taking a donut or 2 this week (and next), trading up efficiently as the time comes and trying to claw back the points throughout the season.

I'd assume most will run out of cash/trades to get to full premo. If I take 2 donuts, then I save 4 trades that I think many will be making. Realistically these will be for rookies that may average 60 points a game each, so 240 points down. I think I can make this up over the remainder of the season by trading efficiently.

I have 16 trades and need 6 upgrades (Hurn, Gawn, 1 Fwd (probably Daniel) and 3 Mids, including Williams and Heeney as premo's). I have B Crouch and Mummy (although Mummy/Gawn recent scores have hurt me), so 2 of the upgrades aren't massive upgrades. But I know I'll be struggling for rookies to cull, so think I'll be struggling to get the final 2 premos in any time soon unless some great rookie options pop up.

Anyone you trade in this week is going to be bye impacted, so unless you have plenty of trades, targeting players who have peaked/bottomed, upgrading efficiently etc, blowing trades for a small gain in the short term could burn you bad, especially if plugging a hole this week results in more holes and issues in following weeks.

Having said that, I can see myself trading Drew (or Hayes depending on rookies available) and Bolton this week, as Drew/Hayes hasn't been playing so I can have cash ready for next week and Bolton has some nasty scores so I need to preserve his value (plus may not be playing). Hopefully I only have one or 2 donuts this week. No idea who I'm trading in though, if Hately is in for Whitfield that would be nice, perhaps Rotham gets 2 games in for Hurn.

Dunny29

Mar 11, 2016
Completely agree with this, especially 'don't ruin your team structure purely to get 18+ players on-field in each bye week'

I was looking at having 18 playing, now with injuries and possible selections I might be looking at 15/16.

With trades/cash generation already beyond tight for most, I'm considering taking a donut or 2 this week (and next), trading up efficiently as the time comes and trying to claw back the points throughout the season.

I'd assume most will run out of cash/trades to get to full premo. If I take 2 donuts, then I save 4 trades that I think many will be making. Realistically these will be for rookies that may average 60 points a game each, so 240 points down. I think I can make this up over the remainder of the season by trading efficiently.

I have 16 trades and need 6 upgrades (Hurn, Gawn, 1 Fwd (probably Daniel) and 3 Mids, including Williams and Heeney as premo's). I have B Crouch and Mummy (although Mummy/Gawn recent scores have hurt me), so 2 of the upgrades aren't massive upgrades. But I know I'll be struggling for rookies to cull, so think I'll be struggling to get the final 2 premos in any time soon unless some great rookie options pop up.

Anyone you trade in this week is going to be bye impacted, so unless you have plenty of trades, targeting players who have peaked/bottomed, upgrading efficiently etc, blowing trades for a small gain in the short term could burn you bad, especially if plugging a hole this week results in more holes and issues in following weeks.

Having said that, I can see myself trading Drew (or Hayes depending on rookies available) and Bolton this week, as Drew/Hayes hasn't been playing so I can have cash ready for next week and Bolton has some nasty scores so I need to preserve his value (plus may not be playing). Hopefully I only have one or 2 donuts this week. No idea who I'm trading in though, if Hately is in for Whitfield that would be nice, perhaps Rotham gets 2 games in for Hurn.
If you think you are the only one struggling,
Here's a few players (non bye this week) who won't be/may not play this week

Hore (49.0% teams), sore calf last week, usually more than 1 week, Monday game may help
Whitfield 43.1%, listed 4-6 weeks, so 3-5 games
Scott 37%, hasn't played since Rd 4 and hasn't been lighting up the VFL afaik
Burgess 27%, No guarantee to play, Leslie maybe better matchup this week, scores low anyway
Williams 22.3%, missed 2 with minor hammy, maybe given an extra despite saying he's right
Constable 19.1%, played well in VFL despite reported injury last week, missed 4/7 games
Hurn 18.7%, hammy, listed 1-2 weeks (becomes 3 weeks if 2 due to bye)
Hately 17.5%, played 2 games
Sloane 15.4%, minor hammy, may not come up
Scrimshaw 15.2%, 3-5, knee
Collins 11.1% (perhaps this far down, a chunk still holding have given up on this season)
MCrouch 9.4%, at this stage no guarantee for this week from the hip issue

I'd assume most have at least 3 on this list. If you have at least 3 on this list then chances are at best you will have 18 playing this week, some may be struggling for 18 after trades depending on how many you have with the bye this week.

You then have on the bye Duursma (49.5%) and Butters (16.6%) who have low BE's and Drew (26.5%) who isn't exactly leaking cash yet but hasn't been picked in 3 games. Plus Hayes in a similar situation (15.6%) but he won't get you much cash if downgraded. (I can see logic trading Drew/Hayes this week as they may not play in coming weeks anyway, but who for and will this result in more trades in the next fortnight when the trade ins have a bye.

Is it worth trading and how much this week to avoid donuts is what you need to weigh up. There will be plenty of donuts getting around this week I think. Reminds me a bit of last year when 1 bye week had carnage (but this year plenty of premos have next weeks bye to further impact), I thought I had plenty of trades and traded to avoid donuts, 8 weeks later I didn't have enough trades and some late season injuries really hurt me.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
If you think you are the only one struggling,
Here's a few players (non bye this week) who won't be/may not play this week
Is it worth trading and how much this week to avoid donuts is what you need to weigh up. There will be plenty of donuts getting around this week I think. Reminds me a bit of last year when 1 bye week had carnage (but this year plenty of premos have next weeks bye to further impact), I thought I had plenty of trades and traded to avoid donuts, 8 weeks later I didn't have enough trades and some late season injuries really hurt me.
Great post, thx @Dunny29.

Reactions: Dunny29

Dash

Development Coach
Apr 6, 2016

Thanks. Anyone got any trade advice after teams have been made? I have 18 players before trading

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks. Anyone got any trade advice after teams have been made? I have 18 players before trading

Perhaps Whitfield->Lloyd?
You can just afford it and you get a guaranteed premium in for a guaranteed premium.
Unless Lloyd's rnd.13 bye is an issue?

Dash

Development Coach
Apr 6, 2016
That's what I was looking at. Also looking at Houli. Had played with the option of Corbett to Gardner and Whitfield to J Kelly via Heeney. Just not sure.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
That's what I was looking at. Also looking at Houli. Had played with the option of Corbett to Gardner and Whitfield to J Kelly via Heeney. Just not sure.
Not sure is a great place to be! Remember ... "ready, fire, aim"
Decide on the target after you have shot!

deadoralive

Mar 15, 2016
I've got a bit of a dilemma. Have 19 trades left, but have 21 starting on the field for this week, a lot of rookies playing, and am contemplating trading vs non-trading. What do you people believe is the right option?

Bridget

Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 10, 2018
I've got a bit of a dilemma. Have 19 trades left, but have 21 starting on the field for this week, a lot of rookies playing, and am contemplating trading vs non-trading. What do you people believe is the right option?

I’m in a similar boat. After 1 trade (Whitfield out), I’m fielding 22 players. Thinking of preparing for next couple of rounds.

Bridget

Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 10, 2018
I’m thinking of trading in Houli (Breakeven of 42).
Am I just chasing last few weeks scores? He does seem pretty consistent, bar injury, this season.
Also can’t decide if I should trade out N Newman or D Moore. (Byes don’t matter as much)

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
As per usual, I think your main aim should be to upgrade rookies when you can.
During the bye rounds you should try to ensure this downgrade/upgrade process ensures at least 18 on-field each bye round.
Trade towards those objectives. Your having 21 on-field this week leads me to think you're probably light on in at least one of the next two rounds, if not both.

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I’m thinking of trading in Houli (Breakeven of 42).
Am I just chasing last few weeks scores? He does seem pretty consistent, bar injury, this season.
Also can’t decide if I should trade out N Newman or D Moore. (Byes don’t matter as much)
Houli has been good but the usual caveats apply:
in 12 seasons he has never had a SC average better than 95.6 and he has only had 3 seasons with a 90+ average
he has a poor injury history over the last 4 seasons
he is a 31yr old

I'm trading Moore->Andrews: I think Moore has peaked and for only $75K I bring in a potential top-6 defender.
No opinion on Newman.

Gawn Armi Witts

Aspiring Coach
Apr 18, 2016
Hayes -> Rotham
Whitfield -> Andrews
ROB -> Cameron

No donut Gods willing and a decent warchest for next week to get in 2 prems, 1 rookie.