Rich - Risk vs Reward

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
The Donkey was fairly bullish (pun intended) on the podcasts today about this guy. Haven't got him in my team at the moment but I have to admit he is the one in the backline that I've been wondering if I can fit in.

Pro:
Midfielder available in the backline (almost enough said)
Priced under $500K
There's a few other half decent mids (!) back to take a bit of pressure off him

Cons:
Apparently nobody in the world is more tag-able that Dan Rich

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I'm a Rich believer for the moment, not a lock, but has been in my side for a while now

Reactions: cactus

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I have him above Yeo. But not about Brodie Smith. This may change. Brisbane just seem to have way too many mids in their rotations, I'm not sure there's enough points to go around for Rich to increase his average enough to justify the pick.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I have him above Yeo. But not about Brodie Smith. This may change. Brisbane just seem to have way too many mids in their rotations, I'm not sure there's enough points to go around for Rich to increase his average enough to justify the pick.
Interesting. I have Yeo in - Rich as first emergency - and Smith as nowhere at the moment.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Interesting. I have Yeo in - Rich as first emergency - and Smith as nowhere at the moment.
Everyone has different takes on the same situation. I decided that with Redden taking Rosas place, there wasn't enough room for Yeo in the mid rotations to pick up a huge amount of points.

At least of one those 80-85avg guys will increase their scores by 10-15ppg this year. Just wish I knew which ones!

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

I tend to agree as this stage, though at least as a defender if he went his career average it wouldn't be a complete and utter disaster and if he could manage a 10point bump that would put him top10 Defs.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
I tend to agree as this stage, though at least as a defender if he went his career average it wouldn't be a complete and utter disaster and if he could manage a 10point bump that would put him top10 Defs.
Whenever I see someone posting "risk / reward", I strike that player from my side ...

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Well there is clearly some risk with Rich at 436K.

Even taking into account his move to the backline (where acceptable primo scores are lower) he would still need to improve 10ppg to prove a decent pick.

He has got a few reasons that make you think there might be an upside. 2nd year back from the knee. Was young enough that he might still have had some improvement in him when he did the knee (he was about a 90game player at the time).

But he has such accurate disposal and has priced so tag-able that he is likely to attract attention even with Brissies other mids back on the park. Priced a 430ish so not a huge bargain given his previous scoring.

Out of my team at the moment but I prefer him as a pick when compared to a few of the back men price >500K.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
He has never averaged above 90

Yep best he's average is 90, rarely plays a whole season and if he was going to better that average last year would've been the year.
I suppose the argument in his favour could be 'now with the cattle back in the middle would ease pressure' but with the extra cattle back , means less points to go around. Just not enough upside for him in my eyes.

HoneyBadger

Patron '16
Patron '19
Feb 16, 2016
From the Lions website:

Daniel Rich
2016 could signal a move back to the midfield for Vice-Captain Daniel Rich.

Rich averaged almost 20 touches a game but lacked zip and his normal game-changing, line-breaking impact in his role off the halfback flank last season.

The West Australian reported back to pre-season training ahead of schedule for a handful of sessions with the club’s young brigade after completing his first triathlon during his break. The hard yards over summer will come in handy as Rich eyes a spot in the Brisbane midfield.

Reactions: cactus and M4TT B8S

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
From the Lions website:

Daniel Rich
2016 could signal a move back to the midfield for Vice-Captain Daniel Rich.

Rich averaged almost 20 touches a game but lacked zip and his normal game-changing, line-breaking impact in his role off the halfback flank last season.

The West Australian reported back to pre-season training ahead of schedule for a handful of sessions with the club’s young brigade after completing his first triathlon during his break. The hard yards over summer will come in handy as Rich eyes a spot in the Brisbane midfield.
hmmm i have him in my draft team but not my classic team yet