Bomber cash cows.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
After the news this morning which in itself has been nothing short of shocking and disgusting regarding the suspensions. My thoughts soon turned to top up players and the money that we could make. These players will play and make some reasonable coin.

If there is any positive from a negative this surely is it.

I still would like to know where Demetriou is and how he seems to have been able to distance himself from this. He along with his other AFL boardroom buddy's knew what the Dons were doing, and further more not one player actually tested positive to anything banned. If the Dons are guilty surely they are too.

That's my 5 cents rant over.

Reactions: Prospector

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Very rough decision for the players, they aren't doctors or pharmacists so of course they trust what the club medical staff tell them to take. I don't believe they're at fault, but unfortunately WADA simply cannot allow the precedent that would be set if they got off the hook. Sad day for footy.

Will be interesting to see who they get as top up players and what prices they are at. Should give us plenty of cash cows, Essendon will essentially be an expansion team in 2016.

the cranky one

Development Coach
May 7, 2015
Very rough decision for the players, they aren't doctors or pharmacists so of course they trust what the club medical staff tell them to take. I don't believe they're at fault, but unfortunately WADA simply cannot allow the precedent that would be set if they got off the hook. Sad day for footy.

Will be interesting to see who they get as top up players and what prices they are at, Should give us plenty of cash cows, Essendon will essentially be an expansion team in 2016.

Disagree, the players are responsible for any medications they ingest, They could have said no

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Zach Merrett up forward for 477k, potentially a big midfield role next season bump his average up from 88 to 100+? Your thoughts on Merrett vs Barlow?

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Zach Merrett up forward for 477k, potentially a big midfield role next season bump his average up from 88 to 100+? Your thoughts on Merrett vs Barlow?

Yes I'm liking Merrett, he will see heaps of Mid time, he'll be hungry too for the ball and to cement a spot in the middle for when the rest return. As I can't see Jobe returning the Dons will be looking for a replacement.

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
As a Bombers supporter, I will definitely be considering Z. Merrett highly in the fwd line. I believe he can get his average around the 100-105 mark and he will basically be our best midfielder. Parish looking very good so far and will probably start Rd. 1, although he is a little expensive. I would like to think that Hartley and Brown would be in the Rd.1 team and Langford and Laverde will get more midfield time than before this announcement (may be too awkwardly priced). Of the rest, keep an eye out for names such as Yestin Eades, Tippa!!, Alex Morgan, Edwards and Kommer, along with Francis (more expensive rookie). Big Gach Nyuon has not looked out of place despite his skinny frame, has a big leap on him and I could see him sneaking in a couple of games if we have some ruck injury troubles.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
As a Bombers supporter, I will definitely be considering Z. Merrett highly in the fwd line. I believe he can get his average around the 100-105 mark and he will basically be our best midfielder. Parish looking very good so far and will probably start Rd. 1, although he is a little expensive. I would like to think that Hartley and Brown would be in the Rd.1 team and Langford and Laverde will get more midfield time than before this announcement (may be too awkwardly priced). Of the rest, keep an eye out for names such as Yestin Eades, Tippa!!, Alex Morgan, Edwards and Kommer, along with Francis (more expensive rookie). Big Gach Nyuon has not looked out of place despite his skinny frame, has a big leap on him and I could see him sneaking in a couple of games if we have some ruck injury troubles.

What about Ham is he worth having a look at?

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
What about Ham is he worth having a look at?
Hams has had a lot of personal issues and injury troubles the past few seasons. He will definitely get his chance to play in the senior side. One to monitor in training and in the NAB Cup. The coaches always loved him for his effort, but I have never been really wowed by him. He seems a little restricted by his size playing the type of crash and bash game that he does. Hopefully he can get it all together and cement a spot in the team though, would be great to see and is a big opp.

Reactions: doddy2731

rickjames7

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Ballarat
Luey for R2 is surely a lock if he can stay injury free

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015

Yeah that's a big IF though, Leuey has missed 46 games over the last 4 years!

Kinda tempted to stick him in the FWD line as R/F cover - because this worked SO well with TBC last year, what could go wrong (apart from everything)? Leuey priced at 58.. probably worth it if he can average 90+ - in which case worth playing him on-field and maybe carrying as bench R/F cover year long - that was the theory LAST YEAR anyway! Can we have another relatively injury-free year in the ruck department in 2016 (so R/F cover less important)? Surely with only McKernan (mainly FWD you'd think), Leuey can average 90+, right? Leuey has averaged 102 (2011) and 97 (2013) before in mediocre teams (which the Bombers will obviously be this year). Obvious problem is if Leuey goes all TBC-esque and averages <90 (TBC last year 62! God that killed me. McKernan 84 average though).

BUT: Leuey averaging 90 (i.e. 33pts above his price) is the $ value equivalent of a $123,900 player averaging only 56. Given we had good FWD rookies averaging >70 last year, it probably comes down to whether or not Leuey is a season-long keeper playing on your field every week. If you DON'T think so, much better value arguably in a rookie instead

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I personally like Sinclair's potential to become a keeper as a number 1 ruck over at Sydney than Leuenberger over at the Bombers... But I totally understand why Leue would be a lock for a lot of people

+what @robpaw was saying, he's not exactly a cash cow so if picking him would have to be thinking about fielding him all year, or getting him purely for cover later in the season, but the odds are Leue will get injured before your main rucks will, so a bench player scoring 0s isn't great cover

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
The only thing I keep thinking about with Burger is what happened last year with TBC, I just can't bring myself to do it.
And as has been mentioned the value in the forward rookies this year just can't be passed by sticking Leauy down there, and have him spud it up.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
This. So much. Big, dopey, underpriced, injury prone, lone ruckman at Essendon with fwd/ruck swing... Been burnt once by that. Won't be happening again.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
This. So much. Big, dopey, underpriced, injury prone, lone ruckman at Essendon with fwd/ruck swing... Been burnt once by that. Won't be happening again.

Yeah it left a very sour taste last season, and it's something I don't wont to taste again intentionally.

Reactions: Steve