2020 Begins

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Yep correct. Every season Dusty has had peaks and troughs.

If he did start 139, 160, 93, 141 and you weren’t an owner my money is he’d be in your team by round 4.

That’s a trade. There’s been occasions where that correction has meant I haven’t made others and the ripple effect/s can continue for weeks.

With high ownership I personally prefer to start him
Yeah I'm thinking I'll start him too, but you can see their thinking. Plus, his durability can't be understated.

Reactions: Tono

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
So with the exit of Kelly from the Cats, do we see Duncan getting even more of it the season?
He showed glimpses last year and will still be 3rd or 4th in line for attention.

Reactions: Prospector

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
So with the exit of Kelly from the Cats, do we see Duncan getting even more of it the season?
He showed glimpses last year and will still be 3rd or 4th in line for attention.
Has had a very interrupted preseason I believe and may not even get up for Rd 1. Groin I think

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Duncan actually did his knee in the first final against Collingwood and missed the next two finals. He was looking good to join full training around Christmas but then had minor surgery on his hip.
It was Stewart who had problems with his groin.
Both are in rehabilitation and hope to be ready by rnd.1

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Probably not that significant now that Marshall is a ruck only but here's Ratten on how the Marshall/Ryder combination will work:
"If we think history says Paddy's got an advantage over another ruckman and he's got a great record, we'll start him as first ruck.
But if Rowan's got a good record against another ruckman, we'll flip it around the other way.
We think they'll probably play roughly about the same game time in the ruck space, so we think they can really influence games of footy, not just in the ruck but as a forward as well."

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Probably not that significant now that Marshall is a ruck only but here's Ratten on how the Marshall/Ryder combination will work:
"If we think history says Paddy's got an advantage over another ruckman and he's got a great record, we'll start him as first ruck.
But if Rowan's got a good record against another ruckman, we'll flip it around the other way.
We think they'll probably play roughly about the same game time in the ruck space, so we think they can really influence games of footy, not just in the ruck but as a forward as well."
I’m looking forward to picking Marshall as a RUC/FWD in ‘21 or ‘22 once Ryder no longer commands a best 22 spot

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I’m looking forward to picking Marshall as a RUC/FWD in ‘21 or ‘22 once Ryder no longer commands a best 22 spot
If you play AFL Fantasy or Ultimate Footy you'll probably get the chance this year. They both have in-season DPP changes based on 35% playing time.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Duncan actually did his knee in the first final against Collingwood and missed the next two finals. He was looking good to join full training around Christmas but then had minor surgery on his hip.
It was Stewart who had problems with his groin.
Both are in rehabilitation and hope to be ready by rnd.1
Kelly gone. Duncan and Jelwood injured-hampered preseasons. Danger is going to be carrying the midfield to start the year. A must-have it looks like.

Also means opportunity for others. Problem is the lack of clear options and it might be a role that evolves as others gain fitness.

Menegola is the one that should be on everyone's watch list. Touted as getting more mid time.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Kelly gone. Duncan and Jelwood injured-hampered preseasons. Danger is going to be carrying the midfield to start the year. A must-have it looks like.

Also means opportunity for others. Problem is the lack of clear options and it might be a role that evolves as others gain fitness.

Menegola is the one that should be on everyone's watch list. Touted as getting more mid time.

What's the word on Cockatoo??

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
If you play AFL Fantasy or Ultimate Footy you'll probably get the chance this year. They both have in-season DPP changes based on 35% playing time.
Gee I wish SC could do the same. Their lack of willingness to do anything innovative is weird. Except for increasing the number of trades, I'm not sure what's changed in the 10 or more years I've played.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Ratten has come from the Clarkson system (consistently playing two pretty ‘true’ rucks in the same side) too.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Ratten has come from the Clarkson system (consistently playing two pretty ‘true’ rucks in the same side) too.
It helps that both Marshall and Ryder can play forward.
They aren't the "square pegs in round holes" that some ruck-fwds are.

As a Sainter I'm pretty excited about them as a combination. I can't see Ryder being a long-term prospect but for at least this year I think he'll be a good foil for Marshall.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwentyThree

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
It helps that both Marshall and Ryder can play forward.
They aren't the "square pegs in round holes" that some ruck-fwds are.

As a Sainter I'm pretty excited about them as a combination. I can't see Ryder being a long-term prospect but for at least this year I think he'll be a good foil for Marshall.
Getting Ryder makes zero sense to me. He's a quality tap ruckman, but doesn't contribute a lot around the ground beyond what most ruckmen can do. He's a terrible forward, almost a liability up there with poor defensive pressure. His best return in his career is 1.2 goals/game. Jenkins has nearly doubled that every year in the past 6 years.

So if you have Ryder you have to play him in the ruck 80%. The reason nobody wants him is he's injured too often and you can't have that with your main ruck. Marshall was so good last year, it's crazy to say you'll now play him forward most of the time. I haven't seen much evidence he's a good forward at AFL level, but he could be. Having both and playing one up forward just doesn't make any sense to me.

Reactions: J-Dog

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Getting Ryder makes zero sense to me. He's a quality tap ruckman, but doesn't contribute a lot around the ground beyond what most ruckmen can do. He's a terrible forward, almost a liability up there with poor defensive pressure. His best return in his career is 1.2 goals/game. Jenkins has nearly doubled that every year in the past 6 years.

So if you have Ryder you have to play him in the ruck 80%. The reason nobody wants him is he's injured too often and you can't have that with your main ruck. Marshall was so good last year, it's crazy to say you'll now play him forward most of the time. I haven't seen much evidence he's a good forward at AFL level, but he could be. Having both and playing one up forward just doesn't make any sense to me.
I doubt they'll play Ryder 80% in the ruck. As I posted above, Ratten expects a roughly 50-50 split between the two.
I also doubt Ryder missing games is a concern as Marshall will just ruck solo.
I think they brought Ryder in as much to be a game-day on-field tutor to Marshall as anything else. Marshall was developing fast last year but his ruck-work needed to improve.
Marshall has spent his career as a fwd-ruck and according to the Sainters he's a "natural" fwd. Not so much a prolific goal kicker as a CHF type - good motor, can take a CM.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I doubt they'll play Ryder 80% in the ruck. As I posted above, Ratten expects a roughly 50-50 split between the two.
I also doubt Ryder missing games is a concern as Marshall will just ruck solo.
I think they brought Ryder in as much to be a game-day on-field tutor to Marshall as anything else. Marshall was developing fast last year but his ruck-work needed to improve.
Marshall has spent his career as a fwd-ruck and according to the Sainters he's a "natural" fwd. Not so much a prolific goal kicker as a CHF type - good motor, can take a CM.
Maybe at lower level for sure. But yet to see it at AFL level. His stats to date aren't very supportive with just 1.05 CM/game, much less than comparable guys like ROB. He's on par with Tim English and nobody's rushing to stick him at CHF.

In fact, his stats are remarkably similar to English. Two key differences, far more clearances and subsequently more disposals. Actually, they're incredibly similar to Stef Martin in almost every category, a chap who was also touted as a good forward early in his career until it was discovered that he was a completely crap forward at AFL level.

They won't play Ryder in the ruck 80%, that's the point. He's only good as a ruckman, so seems strange to get him when you have a guy doing a great job in that role already. I think they start with both, but by midseason Marshall will be doing >70%. Wouldn't surprise me if Ryder ended up in the VFL at some stage as well.

Reactions: J-Dog

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
What's the word on Cockatoo??
All guns blazing, fit and firing, burning up the track... All the usual cliches. I'd love to see him get a good run at it as he's got all the tools to be an absolute superstar.

This is the best preseason he has ever had. If he plays round 1, you have to start him.

Reactions: Benj and doddy2731

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Gee I wish SC could do the same. Their lack of willingness to do anything innovative is weird. Except for increasing the number of trades, I'm not sure what's changed in the 10 or more years I've played.
Does anything desperately need to change? I’ve always thought it felt like Fantasy needs to change things to differentiate itself because it can’t compete with SC as a product. One of the main reasons I struggle to get into Fantasy is because it feels so gimmicky