Forwards

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Gray and McLean are two I'm keen on. Both have shown they could average 110, but are priced in the 90s. A bit more midfield time and luck with injuries and Gray should be a huge win. McLean averaged 111 over the first ten games. Then in r13 he had that big AC bump with Gray at the opening bounce (the week I finally brought him in!). He looked like he was playing sore for the rest of the season after that, averaging only 82 over those last 11 games. So assuming he's fit and confident again, he could be great value too.

Yeah could not tackle any where near as effectively after R13 despite still having good numbers, despite what some might think I don't think he had a particular role change early in the season he played a bunch of different midfield roles & score consistently at it. Dunkley is the concern though.
I'm pretty big on Gray I just look at their list & he just needs to play midfield.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Yeah could not tackle any where near as effectively after R13 despite still having good numbers, despite what some might think I don't think he had a particular role change early in the season he played a bunch of different midfield roles & score consistently at it. Dunkley is the concern though.
I'm pretty big on Gray I just look at their list & he just needs to play midfield.
We also said that last year about Gray. He looks fit again, but I believe he has a chronic issue (?knee, can't remember) and they're concerned giving him too much midfield time will put too much strain and cause further injury. That's why they play him forward despite the fact they obviously need him in the guts.

I see this appeal, but I can't touch him this year.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
We also said that last year about Gray. He looks fit again, but I believe he has a chronic issue (?knee, can't remember) and they're concerned giving him too much midfield time will put too much strain and cause further injury. That's why they play him forward despite the fact they obviously need him in the guts.

Hmmmm should be be targeting one of their mids then? Wingard was basically a full time mid after byes, Polec's gone, Wines out for a while, Ebert training with forwards, Boak has looked cooked.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Hmmmm should be be targeting one of their mids then? Wingard was basically a full time mid after byes, Polec's gone, Wines out for a while, Ebert training with forwards, Boak has looked cooked.
Port is definitely one to watch in the JLT. Looks like there will be some new names injected into that midfield this year. Powell-Pepper looks ready to take the next step. Joe Atley has been mentioned. Drew impressed in the intra-club. Some high picks coming in - Rozee, Butters, Duursma. Some other forgotten names around - Rockliff, Sam Gray, Amon, Trengove, Hartlett. There's still quite a few options and they're all good SC prices.

If SPP had DPP he'd be in my team. I don't think I'll go a mid-pricer in the midfield this year however.

I also heard a quote the other day of Hinkley saying "They realised they weren't playing Rockliff the right way, but now they've worked out how he plays his best footy.". Not saying pick him, but I think we all know what that implies...

Reactions: Steve and Tevez17

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I also heard a quote the other day of Hinkley saying "They realised they weren't playing Rockliff the right way, but now they've worked out how he plays his best footy.". Not saying pick him, but I think we all know what that implies...

Ah crap. I'm gonna get sucked in again aren't I?

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015

Spot on mate. I have the Power struggling big time this year and with Wingard gone Gray may have to play more of a role up forward which doesn't bode well for SC scoring. I know he doesn't need the ball much but his limitations are increasing by the year with not only his body but the Powers structures in general.

Gray's a no for me. But will definitely watch with interest as I reckon I've had him quite a few times over the years.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Hi guys. Pre season at last. Dunkley is a big watch for me during JLT. Obviously he switched to the midfield in the second half of last year and his ceiling seems to be greater than Mclean's. He's a bigger body than Mclean too and I think he will potentially benefit from the new 6-6-6 rule. Explosive, contested player who we've seen kick goals. Big watch.

Reactions: Captain Danger

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Dunkley.... *sigh*

I picked Dunkley last year at $296k. I picked him because as a contested midfielder he is a bull and a really good SC scorer in that role, even when he was a rookie. It looked like he was going to get that midfield time in the preseason, so I went with him. Therefore, I also watched him really closely up until he got injured in round 9 and I was forced to trade him out.

From watching him I can tell you:
- He's a terrible forward. Truly terrible. Gets in the wrong position most of the time, and when he did get an opportunity he'd miss more often than he'd hit. Numerous set shots he should kick, and he missed. He'd always find a way to muff things. Perfect example being the uncontested chest mark in the goal square to kick the match-winning goal against the Swans, that he dropped :mad:
- As a winger, he's also terrible. He was rolling up to the wing during the first half of the year for periods of a game. When he did, he was the sort of player who would always be on screen but never get the ball. He'd float around on the fringe of the pack, and the ball would bypass him time-after-time. It may have been bad luck, but I think it's more a positioning thing. It was almost like he was the decoy. Or he was the bloke who was stopping the opposition leaving the pack, rather than waiting to get the ball himself. Or they were planning to extract to one side, and he was the bloke on the other side. Whatever it was, he wasn't very good in that role either.

So he was purely playing forward with a little bit of push up to the wing, then he got injured in round 9 and missed a month. When he came back in round 14 he found himself with those midfield minutes. Initially he was doing a tagging role, running with Higgins in round 14 and Titch in round 16. Round 17 he was also mainly doing the wing role. These games he didn't score well. Every other game he seemed to play inside midfielder and tonned up every time.

I've heard it said he took McLean's role and that's why they seemed to swap. I think McLean dropped off because he copped a whack to his AC joint and wasn't the same after, but was still in much the same role. Wallis is the one who I think lost his midfield spot and got thrown forward instead. I've also heard it said they rotated them all around so there wasn't one bloke getting bashed and bruised in the midfield for the entire season.

I'd like to think in the last month or two of 2018 the Dogs work out that Dunkley is a really good contested mifdfielder and that's the only thing he's good at. But, it's Bevo we're talking about. There's so many other factors to consider. Dahlhaus gone. Libba back. Rule changes. Player availability. Progression of young blokes. How bad are the Dogs going to be this year? All of these can have an impact.

If he gets the inside midfield role every game, he'll be a fantastic pick. If he doesn't, he won't be. Simple as that. I don't see how anyone can predict that, even Bevo himself who's liable to change his mind a month into the season. If you see injuries and JLT signs that suggest it's likely then maybe. But, if he doesn't get that role he might struggle to average 85 and it's a Billings-type complete bust.

I picked him at $296k last year and he didn't really work out. There's no way I can justify paying $516k for him this time around.

Captain Danger

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 27, 2017
Dunkley.... *sigh*

I picked Dunkley last year at $296k. I picked him because as a contested midfielder he is a bull and a really good SC scorer in that role, even when he was a rookie. It looked like he was going to get that midfield time in the preseason, so I went with him. Therefore, I also watched him really closely up until he got injured in round 9 and I was forced to trade him out.

- He's a terrible forward. Truly terrible. Gets in the wrong position most of the time, and when he did get an opportunity he'd miss more often than he'd hit. Numerous set shots he should kick, and he missed. He'd always find a way to muff things. Perfect example being the uncontested chest mark in the goal square to kick the match-winning goal against the Swans, that he dropped :mad:
- As a winger, he's also terrible. He was rolling up to the wing during the first half of the year for periods of a game. When he did, he was the sort of player who would always be on screen but never get the ball. He'd float around on the fringe of the pack, and the ball would bypass him time-after-time. It may have been bad luck, but I think it's more a positioning thing. It was almost like he was the decoy. Or he was the bloke who was stopping the opposition leaving the pack, rather than waiting to get the ball himself. Or they were planning to extract to one side, and he was the bloke on the other side. Whatever it was, he wasn't very good in that role either.

So he was purely playing forward with a little bit of push up to the wing, then he got injured in round 9 and missed a month. When he came back in round 14 he found himself with those midfield minutes. Initially he was doing a tagging role, running with Higgins in round 14 and Titch in round 16. Round 17 he was also mainly doing the wing role. These games he didn't score well. Every other game he seemed to play inside midfielder and tonned up every time.

I've heard it said he took McLean's role and that's why they seemed to swap. I think McLean dropped off because he copped a whack to his AC joint and wasn't the same after, but was still in much the same role. Wallis is the one who I think lost his midfield spot and got thrown forward instead. I've also heard it said they rotated them all around so there wasn't one bloke getting bashed and bruised in the midfield for the entire season.

I'd like to think in the last month or two of 2018 the Dogs work out that Dunkley is a really good contested mifdfielder and that's the only thing he's good at. But, it's Bevo we're talking about. There's so many other factors to consider. Dahlhaus gone. Libba back. Rule changes. Player availability. Progression of young blokes. How bad are the Dogs going to be this year? All of these can have an impact.

If he gets the inside midfield role every game, he'll be a fantastic pick. If he doesn't, he won't be. Simple as that. I don't see how anyone can predict that, even Bevo himself who's liable to change his mind a month into the season. If you see injuries and JLT signs that suggest it's likely then maybe. But, if he doesn't get that role he might struggle to average 85 and it's a Billings-type complete bust.

I picked him at $296k last year and he didn't really work out. There's no way I can justify paying $516k for him this time around.
Wow, what an essay.
Convinced me lol- looking elsewhere

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Dunkley.... *sigh*

Yeah a lot of people assuming Dunkley & McLean's scores were linked I think that was more of a coincidence too, I think McLean is pretty safe, he's going to score better playing bulk mid minutes as he's a great clearance players & tackler, but early in the season he was more playing wing/link man & he scored well there too, assuming he's not buried in a forward pocket, which I don't see why that would happen I don't see why his upward seasonal trend would stop (62,70,85,94).

Reactions: Prospector

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Dunkley.... *sigh*

Wowsers. Sounds like you’ve got some scar tissue there. I can understand your frustration. He’ll still be on my JLT watch list. Any listed Forward with a ceiling as high as Dunkley’s is worth a look. At the end of the day you’ve got to take a punt on one or two players if you want to separate yourself from the pack.

Reactions: PickenWinners

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Think the boys hit the nail on the head in this weeks podcast.

Danger and Heeney then the rest you can throw a blanket over. With Wingard, De Goey and Buddy all under injury clouds guys like Dunkley, Menegola and Tim Kelly come into the frame for me. Leaning towards TK as my 3rd FWD then going kids. Jy Simpkin from the Roos is the only real mid 300k guy I'll look at over the JLT for now.

Reactions: TomCat and Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Think the boys hit the nail on the head in this weeks podcast.

Danger and Heeney then the rest you can throw a blanket over. With Wingard, De Goey and Buddy all under injury clouds guys like Dunkley, Menegola and Tim Kelly come into the frame for me. Leaning towards TK as my 3rd FWD then going kids. Jy Simpkin from the Roos is the only real mid 300k guy I'll look at over the JLT for now.
That's exactly my setup at the moment. Danger, Heeney, Kelly then kids. Plenty of forward rookies floating around this year. Playing 3 on field and 2 defence rookies should allow extra cash to splash out on the midfield.

Reactions: TomCat

arnot2mcbean

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 15, 2018
Thoughts on Billings?

Started to string a few scores together towards the back end of 2018. Price has got me really tempted.

Could Jack Steven possibly missing the start of the year see him play as more of a pure mid?

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
For me the the season starts this weekend with the jlt then we will get a really good idea of who is playing where and likely scoring potential
Dare I say that I am looking at Daniher

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
That's exactly my setup at the moment. Danger, Heeney, Kelly then kids. Plenty of forward rookies floating around this year. Playing 3 on field and 2 defence rookies should allow extra cash to splash out on the midfield.

Same set up here as well.

Reactions: Steve

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Thoughts on Billings?

Started to string a few scores together towards the back end of 2018. Price has got me really tempted.

Could Jack Steven possibly missing the start of the year see him play as more of a pure mid?

I think Billing will have a 95ish season which would be a solid win at his price, he’s in line to replace TKelly if I need money elsewhere.

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015
Anyone been looking at Tex Walker? He's had a couple of down years but I wonder if the new rules will be a bonus for him?

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Anyone been looking at Tex Walker? He's had a couple of down years but I wonder if the new rules will be a bonus for him?
Nah, he’s never been an elite SC scorer really, and misses way too many games. Pretty hard to turn that around when he’s about to turn 29 I reckon.

Reactions: Prospector