Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Thought this was interesting from the Hun today and worth a look:

Champion Data, which records the stats that power SuperCoach, reveals the most important stats that make up the scoring system.

GOALS

It is no great surprise that the main avenue to SuperCoach scoring is through kicking a goal.

Those coaches wanting to select West Coast’s Josh Kennedy would have a smile to their face — each time your player boots one through the big sticks that will earn you a whopping eight points.

They don’t have to kick the goal themselves to score. If your player is the last to assist in a score — by kicking, handballing or knocking the ball to a teammate who kicks a goal, for example — that will earn you an impressive 3.5 points. Tom Lynch from Adelaide ranked No. 1 in this area last season.

Goal: 8 points

Behind: 1 point

Score Assist: 3.5 points

CONTESTED FOOTY

Winning a contested possession has always been highly rewarding, but there are multiple ways in which you can win a contested possession.

Winning it at ground level will earn you 4.5 points, however, winning a contested possession in the air is far more rewarding. A contested mark is worth six points, and an intercept contested mark is like gold, earning you eight points — the equal-most along with a goal.

If you’re thinking of selecting Easton Wood, this will make you happy. Wood took 33 contested marks from opposition kicks last season — six more than any other player.

Intercept contested mark: 8 points

Contested mark: 6 points

Contested possession at ground level: 4.5 points

Intercept possession: 4.5 points

UNCONTESTED FOOTY

Yes, your player receives greater reward for winning the ball in a contested situation, but players also get points for winning the ball on the outside. All uncontested marks will generate two points, and for those thinking of selecting Nick Riewoldt, you earn five points for every mark taken on a lead. For those coaches out there wanting to select Andrew Gaff, you will earn 1.5 points for handball receive.

Mark on a lead: 5 points

Uncontested mark: 2 points

Handball received: 1.5 points

Gather: 1.5 points

RUCK CONTESTS

Only recently has the scoring system changed for hitouts, but it was a change that needed to happen. Previously, all hitouts were earning your player points, now only hitouts that go to a teammate will see your ruckman rewarded, generating five points per hitout to advantage.

This is where Nic Naitanui, Aaron Sandilands, Max Gawn and Todd Goldstein come into their own. A hitout directly to the opposition will lose you one point.

Hitout to advantage: 5 points

Hitout: 0 points

Hitout sharked: -1 point

FREE KICKS

Discipline is crucial in SuperCoach. Coaches of Joel Selwood will be happy, with a free kick netting you four points. Those thinking of picking Joe Daniher should think again, a free against will lose you four points, and worse of all, a 50m penalty against will lose you 8.5 points — the biggest negative in any statistic.

Free kick: 4 points

Free against: -4 points

50m penalty against: -8.5 points

HITTING TARGETS

Ball use is another key element involved in the SuperCoach scoring system. An effective kick is far more beneficial than an effective handball, generating four points compared to just 1.5 points. Heath Shaw ranked No. 1 in this area last season, averaging 15 effective kicks per game.

However, if your player turns the ball over it is going to hurt, losing four points for every clanger disposal. Dustin Martin owners wouldn’t be liking this after the Tigers midfielder averaged the most clanger kicks in the competition last season. All ineffective disposals are worth nothing.

Effective kick: 4 points

Effective handball: 1.5 points

Ineffective disposal: 0 points

Clanger disposal: -4 points

ONE-PERCENTERS

Defensive work also doesn’t go unnoticed. Matt Priddis has been a SuperCoach star for years and it isn’t hard to see why. All effective tackles will earn you four points — Priddis ranked No. 1 in this area for 2015. Shepherds will generate 1.5 points. Lock-down defenders usually don’t get a lot of the ball so they need a lot of spoils to put up a decent score — they are worth just two points.

Tackle: 4 points

Spoil: 2 points

Shepherd: 1.5 points

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
@Lowrider
Thanks. Saw the story but I was unable to access it because I won't pay uncle for the privilege.
I don't subscribe either but I discovered a little hack, I follow them on Twitter and if you click on a link to an article there it seems to load even though you're not a subscriber. Not sure if it'll work for everyone, but working well for me. That's using Chrome on a PC if it doesn't work other ways.

I was a subscriber but gave it up recently because it was just too expensive,

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Works sometimes for me, sometimes it doesn't. I gave it up a couple of weeks ago and put the money towards SCC. Heaps better value.

Reactions: Prospector