Round 7 ponderings

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015
A few nice rookies popped up last round (Rankine, Simpson & McPherson to name a few).

What are people thinking about trading cadence now? I'm thinking a double downgrade with a view to doing 1 up / 1 down as of next round.

Should we be doing 1 down / 1 up or maybe go with 2 downgrades to maximise cash generation?

Keen on peoples thoughts...

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
A few nice rookies popped up last round (Rankine, Simpson & McPherson to name a few).

What are people thinking about trading cadence now? I'm thinking a double downgrade with a view to doing 1 up / 1 down as of next round.

Should we be doing 1 down / 1 up or maybe go with 2 downgrades to maximise cash generation?

It’s a tough one, you want to start upgrading ASAP but I think Simpson and Rankine are too good to pass up this week. I’m likely to take both and will have 600k in the bank for the following week. In hindsight I should have passed on Aarts and upgraded last week instead.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
A double downgrade for me this week and if I get them wrong this week, even a potential double downgrade the following week as well.
But I am looking at leagues, I am well placed at the moment so can afford to drop a game.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane

I'll probably go 1 up/1 down this week.
I brought in McPherson last week - luck, not good strategy, as I had a donut in the backs.
I'll probably leave SImpson for next week and only take Rankine.
Simpson has never shown that kind of scoring before and Geelong are playing Collingwood in Perth so I think leaving Simpson for another week won't/shouldn't hurt too much.
I'm very light on in the forwards so Rankine plus another forward are looking to be my best options.

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015
Heeney is out for season - a curve ball I hadn't anticipated so I may do 1 up & 1 down.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I think I'll go one up one down.
Rainkin the only one I want.
If any others perform well again there'll be enough on the bone for one up one down again.
Money is better spent then sitting in the bank doing nothing.
Points on field so important this season.

Reactions: Rupert

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I think I'll go one up one down.
Rainkin the only one I want.
If any others perform well again there'll be enough on the bone for one up one down again.
Money is better spent then sitting in the bank doing nothing.
Points on field so important this season.
Agreed.
There's no point having a massive bank if you're not scoring points.
My strategy all year has been to maximize points even if it costs me dollars.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I discovered this on YouTube:
Gary Ablett's 29 Best Ever Moments etc

A nice reminder, as if I needed it, as to just how good he has been over his career.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I discovered this on YouTube:
Gary Ablett's 29 Best Ever Moments etc

A nice reminder, as if I needed it, as to just how good he has been over his career.
How many weeks does he get today for that bump on Wirrpanda?

He’s magnificent isn’t he. Easily the best player I’ve ever seen

Reactions: nawtay

Nicko

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 16, 2017
What back line rookie do use think is the go this week? Think ill have to take one and Rankine.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
What back line rookie do use think is the go this week? Think ill have to take one and Rankine.
I'd take McPherson.
He was a highly regarded junior who played in the 2016 U18s as an under-age player but then missed most of his U18 year due to injury. Adelaide still drafted him and even though he's barely been sighted since they've kept him on their list so you'd think they still value him.
Given Adelaide's record this year I think McPherson has good JS and scoring capability.
Adelaide should be playing their younger players to assess their potential and with the ball down in the back-line a far bit you'd think McPherson would benefit.

Day was a late bloomer as a junior but impressed last year - 88SC in U18s, 132SC in SA U18s - and Hawthorn picked him up in the first round of the draft so you'd think they value him.
Unfortunately, I doubt if Day will play a lot of games; the Hawks have players coming back in in the next few weeks and Day is very light - only 70-odd kgs.

Hamill and Butler both cost more than McPherson and haven't shown any great scoring potential.

Last edited:

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
How many weeks does he get today for that bump on Wirrpanda?

He’s magnificent isn’t he. Easily the best player I’ve ever seen
Same here.
Some of the goals he kicks off his non-preferred left you'd be happy to kick off your main foot e.g.#15, #11 - 1st goal; #2 - last goal
As for his field kicking - he's the player I'd want delivering the ball to my fwds inside the 50.

Last edited:

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Don't ever live in Dalby unless you have NBN.
Because of the coronavirus I've had to temporarily re-locate here and my broadband Telstra USB is absolutely useless between about 9.15am and 10.30pm.
Between those hours the usual speed is between 6-10kB/sec and never rises above about 15kB/sec. I regularly cannot even access my homepage.

Just my whinge for the day.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Don't ever live in Dalby unless you have NBN.
Because of the coronavirus I've had to temporarily re-locate here and my broadband Telstra USB is absolutely useless between about 9.15am and 10.30pm.
Between those hours the usual speed is between 6-10kB/sec and never rises above about 15kB/sec. I regularly cannot even access my homepage.

Just my whinge for the day.

Bugger

Reactions: Rupert

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015
Late change for tonight's game = Noble in for the Pies. :) At least now I have some bench cover ...

Simpson trade in = LOCK!!!

Reactions: Prospector

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
6 teams to have a bye between Rounds 9-12
The remaining 10 teams will have a bye after that
Essendon and Melbourne deemed to have had their bye in Rd 3

SC likely to revert to Best 18 whenever teams have a bye week.
It hasn’t been confirmed yet but it was discussed as the likely outcome should teams miss again this season.

Big implications for trading strategy:

1. Dees and Dons premos are immediately more viable.
2. After the fixture announcement next week we’ll know who has a bye coming up and can avoid those players when trading
3. Obviously, players became super relevant as trade ins after they have had their bye
4. Best 18 makes trading in value players slightly less appealing IMO. If you are dropping your 4 lowest scores each week you obviously want the highest scoring players that you can have in your 18. Might effect how you weigh up your spending plans.

#coronaball

Reactions: Prospector

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015
Should I take Dangerfields 127 VC score? Don’t have Gawn or Neale or any other stand out perma captain options.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Should I take Dangerfields 127 VC score? Don’t have Gawn or Neale or any other stand out perma captain options.

FWIW i am taking Danger, it's not a huge score but bankable.
I've already been burnt a few times trying to squeeze a little more points.
Makes the weekend a little less stressful.

Reactions: J-Dog