Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Will it be enough for the coach to keep his job...
I'm a Sainter so I'm a bit biased but I do try to be less knee-jerk reactionary.
I don't think Richo's job was ever in any real danger, regardless of what the commentariat was saying.
I've a few reasons for thinking this.
They've got the 4th youngest list and are playing one of the least experienced. Consider the games played: 200+ - 1 player; 150-199 games - 4; 100-149 games - 5; 50-99 games - 12; 0-49 games - 23. Of the 53 players on the list 17 have played less than 20 games.
The club suffered a lot of disharmony when Watters was coach and, as far as I can tell, there is no disharmony at present. The club doesn't want to return to the bad times.
The players and coaching staff appear to have a good relationship.
In sum, I think that the club recognized early on that this was a learning year and has placed less significance on the wins/losses column than on how the players develop.

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
Not a blues fan but if I was I’d hate Dwayne Russell. Comments yesterday like. “They need a safe word” were funny but offensive.

Bozman

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 7, 2016
Not a blues fan but if I was I’d hate Dwayne Russell. Comments yesterday like. “They need a safe word” were funny but offensive.
I am a Blues fan and to be honest, the comment was fairly appropriate. Appalling half of football. Having said that, they showed backbone in the second half.

I’m still shaking my head they refused a priority pick from the AFL.

Reactions: jester5au

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I'm a Sainter so I'm a bit biased but I do try to be less knee-jerk reactionary.
I don't think Richo's job was ever in any real danger, regardless of what the commentariat was saying.
I've a few reasons for thinking this.
They've got the 4th youngest list and are playing one of the least experienced. Consider the games played: 200+ - 1 player; 150-199 games - 4; 100-149 games - 5; 50-99 games - 12; 0-49 games - 23. Of the 53 players on the list 17 have played less than 20 games.
The club suffered a lot of disharmony when Watters was coach and, as far as I can tell, there is no disharmony at present. The club doesn't want to return to the bad times.
The players and coaching staff appear to have a good relationship.
In sum, I think that the club recognized early on that this was a learning year and has placed less significance on the wins/losses column than on how the players develop.
I think it's a case of people in the media over-hyping teams. Don't know about you, but I didn't really rate the Saints as a final chance this year. They lack some quality in the midfield, and have lost a lot of experience. To me they were always going to dip. They've done worse than I thought, but not that far off. They really need to sign a big-bodied star midfielder who can drive their midfield to take the next step to finals - they have the pieces to go around that. They aren't easy to find though.

The Bombers are the same. As are the Dogs.

Some have exceeded expectations. I didn't think West Coast would have the midfield to push beyond the lower half of the 8. I though the Kangas, with a good run of injuries to their key players, would be in the 8-12 range, people forget they have some quality and experience still without any obvious deficiency in any part of the ground, what they lack is depth which hasn't been tested so far this year.

The rest are about where I expected.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
How are scores looking? I have 1674 with only Henry Danger to come today. Seems like 1850 might be a good score this week??

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I think it's a case of people in the media over-hyping teams. Don't know about you, but I didn't really rate the Saints as a final chance this year. They lack some quality in the midfield, and have lost a lot of experience. To me they were always going to dip. They've done worse than I thought, but not that far off. They really need to sign a big-bodied star midfielder who can drive their midfield to take the next step to finals - they have the pieces to go around that. They aren't easy to find though.

Some have exceeded expectations. I didn't think West Coast would have the midfield to push beyond the lower half of the 8. I though the Kangas, with a good run of injuries to their key players, would be in the 8-12 range, people forget they have some quality and experience still without any obvious deficiency in any part of the ground, what they lack is depth which hasn't been tested so far this year.

I feel the same about my Dees.
The media seems to paint the picture of a team that could go the distance, but they are still at least a year or two of the pace i feel.
They have over achieved the last few years, and i see them playing finals this year but without big game experience will fall short.
This was seen against the Pies last weekend when the accession got the better of them.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
How are scores looking? I have 1674 with only Henry Danger to come today. Seems like 1850 might be a good score this week??
Hope to get to 1850 myself. Have Danger and Martin playing today. Martin just does not look the same, I feel a trade to Kelly coming up.

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane

No, I didn't expect them to make the finals.
The Sainters had originally had a 5 yr plan which aimed to make the finals in 2018 - but I don't think that they realistically expected to when this year finally arrived. They definitely haven't expected to after they lost several games and some of the more experienced players, e.g. Roberton, Bruce, Stevens, Gilbert, Acres. The list is too thin for any of the senior players to go missing.
Club members-only messages and Richardson's use of his players have been a pretty good indication - why are Newnes, a career long HBF/wing, and Sinclair, CDs highest rated wing in 2017, playing primarily as HFF?
I know a fair bit about the Saints and their list but not so much about other clubs so any expectations I might have had were relatively uninformed in comparison. Not that I am alone in that. I think that many in the commentariat have shown a lamentable ignorance about the Saints.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Hope to get to 1850 myself. Have Danger and Martin playing today. Martin just does not look the same, I feel a trade to Kelly coming up.
Thinking the exact same move. I also have Crouch and Adelaide look a shadow of themselves. Might move them both on. Burning trades sure, but you only live once.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Thinking the exact same move. I also have Crouch and Adelaide look a shadow of themselves. Might move them both on. Burning trades sure, but you only live once.
I ended up jumping off Dusty when he jumped on the plane to NZ. He's looked nowhere near this year. Only good scores were early and accompanied by a fair bit of luck.

No regrets so far...

Geoff123

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Aug 10, 2017
Macrae 3-4 weeks out is a tough one 2 weeks would be easy hold what’s everyone’s thoughts on trading or holding for me might have to be a tough hold id have 4 trades left with full premo this week if trade but 5 and full premo if hold?

Bock Choy

May 17, 2018
Macrae 3-4 weeks out is a tough one 2 weeks would be easy hold what’s everyone’s thoughts on trading or holding for me might have to be a tough hold id have 4 trades left with full premo this week if trade but 5 and full premo if hold?
I've pulled the trigger on Macrae, swapping him for Oliver. I got the feel from the commentary that it'd be closer to 4 weeks and may also be a bit slow when he comes back.

Reactions: Geoff123

The Antrobus

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 9, 2018
I've pulled the trigger on Macrae, swapping him for Oliver. I got the feel from the commentary that it'd be closer to 4 weeks and may also be a bit slow when he comes back.

depends on seasons goals.

If it's overall then I'd trade.
If it's league wins then perhaps you could keep him if you are guaranteed finals.

I am sitting in the top 2 in most of my leagues so I will most likely carry him as I want him for the final 4 weeks ad finals time.

Reactions: Geoff123

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I think that I will too. But Macrae->Kelly. It may only be 3-4 weeks but I don't think that Macrae has done a hammy before, so who knows? Mouch hasn't been tearing it up since he returned from his hammy, has he?

Reactions: Prospector

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
I had Macrae banked for my last mid spot, now that’s obviously been changed. I am tossing upo between Wines with Port’s very favourable draw coming home, Josh Kelly or Treloar as a POD what do you guys think?

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
I had Macrae banked for my last mid spot, now that’s obviously been changed. I am tossing upo between Wines with Port’s very favourable draw coming home, Josh Kelly or Treloar as a POD what do you guys think?
I’m leaning towards Kelly.

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
I am too just don’t if I want two GWS mids and their run isn’t exactly easy :/
I hear you. Kelly’s scoring ability is the lure. I also don’t have Oliver so he’s another ive been considering.

Reactions: luke394

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Oliver over Kelly easily for me, he’s so consistant. I already have him he’s been great so far, I am leaning more and more towards Treloar with their draw and he’s averaged 110 so far seems like it will only go up