Pre Season chat

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Interested to hear people's thoughts on Luke Parker.

Averaged 111.9 in 2016 and dropped away to a season long average of 99.3

But breaking down his averages pre and post bye is where the interest lies for me.

Averaged 90.1 pre with 2 100+ scores in 10 games and 107 post bye with 9 100+ scores from 12 games.

Parker did have knee surgery in December leading into the 2017 season so think we can forgive him for the slow start.

Couple that with Heeney, JPK and Hanners all having interrupted pre-seasons leading into 2018 and he looks a rock solid pick to me.
I had Parker all year last year, considered him a good POD compared to Hanners & JPK at the start of the year. Came close to trading him out on many occasions but luckily didn't as it paid huge dividends down the stretch when he was a great POD post bye.

The pain for the first half of the 2017 season is still raw so atm I don't have him however am seriously considering giving him another crack. Watching him closely he just wasn't himself for the first half of the season ie not cracking into the contest/busting packs open as he usually does. Post-bye he was doing much more of this and was a big reason for the Swans 2nd half turnaround. I'd say watch him in the JLT but it's no guarantee he will be doing much of his 'kamikaze bull' work in a meaningless game. Could be a very high risk-very high reward pick, personally I'm probably about a 30-70 chance of starting him.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine

But breaking down his averages pre and post bye is where the interest lies for me.

Averaged 90.1 pre with 2 100+ scores in 10 games and 107 post bye with 9 100+ scores from 12 games.

Parker did have knee surgery in December leading into the 2017 season so think we can forgive him for the slow start.

Couple that with Heeney, JPK and Hanners all having interrupted pre-seasons leading into 2018 and he looks a rock solid pick to me.

Yep, i like this pick and is currently in my midfield.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016

I can see him going 107, like he did post bye last year, if everything goes well for him. My problem is that I don't think 107 is good enough and I don't see him going any higher since there are going to be so many midfield options at Sydney. I will be passing even though he's at a discount. Cripps is the obvious one at that price point and I don't think I want 2 of those risks in my squad.

Reactions: Steve

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Anyone going to take a punt on Jordy De Goey? I'm hoping for a huge break out this year for this kid. I really think he could be elite by season's end. He just has that shitty price tag where you really have to make your mind up to keep or cut loose if things turn sour.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Anyone going to take a punt on Jordy De Goey? I'm hoping for a huge break out this year for this kid. I really think he could be elite by season's end. He just has that shitty price tag where you really have to make your mind up to keep or cut loose if things turn sour.
With both Parish and Petracca just under him in price I don't think I can go there. They both should be getting a good amount of midfield time this year (especially Parish IMO). You would know better than me since I'm in the USA and haven't done as much research as I would've liked up to this point: Do you think De Goey will be able to break into the Collingwood midfield significantly enough to be a top 8 or so FWD?

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
I too and i would say most coaches would be having the same question on their mind.
I'll be starting without Danger at this stage, he is pretty excy and with slim pickings down back i see the money down there needing to be spent.

Best scorer in the game and is first picked in my team no question.
I get the theory but he is your captain almost every week so you get 2 Dangers for the price of one.

I also understand the Ablet effect but did you see Danger on one leg in the goal square v hawks last year?
The bloke is a freak that heavily impacts games at the peak of his powers!
LOCK!

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Best scorer in the game and is first picked in my team no question.
I get the theory but he is your captain almost every week so you get 2 Dangers for the price of one.

I also understand the Ablet effect but did you see Danger on one leg in the goal square v hawks last year?
The bloke is a freak that heavily impacts games at the peak of his powers!
LOCK!

Understand completely where your coming from.
Just something though that stands out to me, and that's that Geelong's midfield is starting to look a lot like Sydney's.
Danger, Ablett, Selwood, Duncan to name a couple, are the points going to get a little thinner?
This needs to be thought about I think just a little more.

Nofunatall

May 14, 2015
I'm looking at Heath Shaw, with Wilson gone and Williams out for the season, surely he becomes the number 1 rebounding defender again. Anyone know of anything contrary to this?

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
No sign off life on the podcast front. :(

From memory the podcast normally starts around the same week the JLT series starts.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
From memory the podcast normally starts around the same week the JLT series starts.
They start 4 weeks out from the season opener, right? That's pretty much exactly JLT start this year so we can't both be wrong.
-Backs
-Mids
-FWDs
-Rookies
(with rucks attached to whichever podcast is the shortest)

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Understand completely where your coming from.
Just something though that stands out to me, and that's that Geelong's midfield is starting to look a lot like Sydney's.
Danger, Ablett, Selwood, Duncan to name a couple, are the points going to get a little thinner?
This needs to be thought about I think just a little more.

Yes it will likley be the number 1 question on every coaches mind.
However for me if not injured its a Lock and then move on with the rest of the team.

Reactions: doddy2731

massarotti8

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 14, 2017
I'm looking at Heath Shaw, with Wilson gone and Williams out for the season, surely he becomes the number 1 rebounding defender again. Anyone know of anything contrary to this?
He was on my never again list after he burnt me last year and then Wilson got traded, so I locked in Williams and then he got injured and then all of a sudden Shaw was looking very good! Still not convinced he will get the SC role we so desire for him. Is definitely one to watch as I feel they may prefer to promote a younger player into the role and/or give it to another of the elder statesmen in Deledio and Griffen.

Hanley is another one that interests me at a similar price point!

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Just on Shaw, I'd prefer not to start with him, and then if he looks awesome and delivers a couple of 110s straight up, look to bring him in straight away.

Reactions: Prospector

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
FWIW I'm currently watching the Bombers intraclub and Devon Smith probably best on so far and has probably worked his way into my side. Stringer bull work has been very impressive, still not convinced he has the tank though. Hurley injured hand or wrist :(

Reactions: Prospector

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
FWIW I'm currently watching the Bombers intraclub and Devon Smith probably best on so far and has probably worked his way into my side. Stringer bull work has been very impressive, still not convinced he has the tank though. Hurley injured hand or wrist :(
Hurley injured!? Hope he’s ok. Very important player.