Defenders 2016

kane.williams14

Development Coach
May 8, 2015
Do we all think Shaw is a Must Have at this point of the season? 600k is a lot for a defender.

Can see his price dropping below 500k at some point of the year.

Defenders can never be relied upon? Can they?

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
Do we all think Shaw is a Must Have at this point of the season? 600k is a lot for a defender.

Can see his price dropping below 500k at some point of the year.

Defenders can never be relied upon? Can they?

His price might drop below $600K but I doubt it will drop below $500K.

I decided to take the plunge on him, GAJ and Goldy etc as I know I will want them later and save my trades. Every year I run out trades before I run out of cash.

Just know I will have to make some corective trades and I don't want them to be expensive ones unless forced through injury.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

camloch

Super Coach
Apr 24, 2015
Ok guys i feel i really need to state the obvious to any of you that are unaware or a little naive/new to supercoach.
Theres a defender from Brisbane at $245k.

Please dont select him in your team, I have two reasons for this.

1: His first name is Liam. (Jones)

2: His last name is Dawson. (Zac)

That is all....

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
His price might drop below $600K but I doubt it will drop below $500K.

I decided to take the plunge on him, GAJ and Goldy etc as I know I will want them later and save my trades. Every year I run out trades before I run out of cash.

Just know I will have to make some corective trades and I don't want them to be expensive ones unless forced through injury.
i honestly believe if i had to pick one defender who will be in the top six come the end of the year and put my house on it i would pick shaw. Barring injury or suspension (no punting please heater) he is a monty to be top six and most likely #1. Only kicks, doesn't handball, kicks out from behinds (almost always to himself), takes the intercept marks and possessions ( not a real old school tight checking defender - actually extremely loose), can see the giants midfield improving with shiel back and experience which puts pressure on ball going into opposition fwd line making it easier to intercept. Regardless of price, he is a lock and could be 15pts on avg higher than the next best def, which if you put into context for example -Goldy being 15 better than the next best ruck then you would lock and go no brainer. Anyway just my two cents, i will be watching closely against melb tomorrow because i reckon teams might play the def fwd on him this year but i dont think it will matter. Great player redeeming himself at the giants in a lot of peoples books. I personally will never forgive him as he was my final upgrade years ago when i traded him in (when trades used to be done and dusted and irreversible once complete) only to find out 10minutes later he was out for the rest of the year. I dont forget heater but points are points, i swallowed my pride last year at the start and glad i did. #1 defender 15pts+ - my prediction.

Reactions: Tevez17

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
If you had to down grade Laird to someone closer to 400k who would it be? At the moment it's McGovern for me.

I love The Governator and how he plays means big points. I just worry about injuries. He was held together with sticky tape by the end of last year. If he plays a bit smarter this year and doesn't hurt himself I think he could be an awesome pick.

mdola2

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '19
Feb 24, 2016
If you had to down grade Laird to someone closer to 400k who would it be? At the moment it's McGovern for me.
I'd go Brodie Smith. We know he can average 90 when he's not dazed and seeing stars and has one of the biggest tanks at the Crows so could very well see some midfield time.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I love The Governator and how he plays means big points. I just worry about injuries. He was held together with sticky tape by the end of last year. If he plays a bit smarter this year and doesn't hurt himself I think he could be an awesome pick.

I traded him in at some point last year and it was a horrible ride but the potential is there no doubt.

I'd go Brodie Smith. We know he can average 90 when he's not dazed and seeing stars and has one of the biggest tanks at the Crows so could very well see some midfield time.

Really like the way he goes about it but can see him averaging in the 80's again, a couple years ago he had a harder edge to him I don't know if it's the concussions or a different role or Milburn leaving but that isn't really part of his game anymore and it has an effect on his scoring imo.

I think Rich can get back up to 90 I can just see it being a rollercoaster with 140's and 50's.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
@thejuddernaut I reckon it's a HUGE stretch for Shaw to average 15 ppg more than the next best defender.... But he doesn't have to do that to be a good pick. I'm gambling against him & praying I can have him cheaper later. Decided I wanted to invest the coin in my midfield. Shaw will be quite popular though so it's a gamble either way.

Reactions: currymunchers

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Birchall vs Suckling?

Both avg 85-95?

Save $70k on suck, birch more chance of tag and a rest?

Thoughts please

I would probably take the punt on Suckling in this scenario but without much confidence, food for thought in 2015 Suckling scored 75 and 101 in the Nab for the Hawks & this season 97 & 90 for the Dogs from slightly less GT, has much changed?