2018 Rookies

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Tim Kelly & Liam Ryan look the most likely of the cheaper rooks so far to me maybe Sam Murray too though no real confidence in job security, obliviously the slightly more expensive guys Dow, Davies-Unackie, Raynor, Broadie, Stephenson ect are all big watches.

Alan Christensen has always been a solid scorer when fit, hard not to find a spot for him when fit & then there's a plethora of guys between 220K-300K that are either coming back from injury or changes clubs that could make an impact.

Scrimshaw is one who I don't think has been mentioned to often, he has fair bit of class about him, good kick & solid interceptor across half back, you have to pay a premium for him after a couple games last season but still an option at 200K I think.

Watch West Coast closely, lots of spots up for grabs there, Partington & Ah Chee worth keeping an eye on.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Tim Kelly & Liam Ryan look the most likely of the cheaper rooks so far to me maybe Sam Murray too though no real confidence in job security, obliviously the slightly more expensive guys Dow, Davies-Unackie, Raynor, Broadie, Stephenson ect are all big watches.

Alan Christensen has always been a solid scorer when fit, hard not to find a spot for him when fit & then there's a plethora of guys between 220K-300K that are either coming back from injury or changes clubs that could make an impact.

Scrimshaw is one who I don't think has been mentioned to often, he has fair bit of class about him, good kick & solid interceptor across half back, you have to pay a premium for him after a couple games last season but still an option at 200K I think.

Watch West Coast closely, lots of spots up for grabs there, Partington & Ah Chee worth keeping an eye on.
It's looking like we may have to be paying a premium for a lot of rookies this year to fill our teams. I may not be able to avoid it, but I am going to try really hard not to pick the guys who have that forward pocket role in teams I don't think are making the 8 (Ryan, Rioli, Garlett). I just feel like they have Jarrod Pickett-esque scoring written all over them. Maybe Garlett will make my team as a way to flip between M11/F8 if he gets picked.

As far as the West Coast FWD line is concerned, I hope Venables is picked Rd1.

I will add Lovell to the more expensive rookies that I am watching closely.

Setterfield doing his ACL really hurts. Ahern not playing yesterday hurts. Johnson, Wigg, and Freeman getting injured hurts. It will be an interesting year for rookies I think.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
It's looking like we may have to be paying a premium for a lot of rookies this year to fill our teams. I may not be able to avoid it, but I am going to try really hard not to pick the guys who have that forward pocket role in teams I don't think are making the 8 (Ryan, Rioli, Garlett). I just feel like they have Jarrod Pickett-esque scoring written all over them. Maybe Garlett will make my team as a way to flip between M11/F8 if he gets picked.

As far as the West Coast FWD line is concerned, I hope Venables is picked Rd1.

I will add Lovell to the more expensive rookies that I am watching closely.

Setterfield doing his ACL really hurts. Ahern not playing yesterday hurts. Johnson, Wigg, and Freeman getting injured hurts. It will be an interesting year for rookies I think.
I put Setterfield in my side last week, was really looking forward to seeing what he could do. Shattered for him.

Reactions: Seppo and doddy2731

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Coffield (171k mid/def) and Clark (175k mid) looked good tonight for the Saints... Just wonder if they'll play come the season proper. For the extra 60k outlay, you would want them to be first 22 and playing every week for at least the first 6-7 weeks.

Feb 18, 2018
Hard to find any rookies in the defence and forward line
In defence everyone is picking dooday finlason and the other st kilda defender
In forword line their is their fritch ,stepesion and r rayan
Does anyone have any other rooki which can play round one

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
Hard to find any rookies in the defence and forward line
In defence everyone is picking dooday finlason and the other st kilda defender
In forword line their is their fritch ,stepesion and r rayan
Does anyone have any other rooki which can play round one

Jack Payne (117K Def) looked ave but at least pulled on the jumper for the Lions in the JLT.

Zac Langdon (117K Fwd) is a mature aged option at GWS in an area where they lack depth.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
No mention of Doedee? o_O

Has a chance to be one of the best rookies.

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Tim Kelly is a lock and will walk into Motlops spot.
I also like G Miers -> There are 6 blokes fighting for that small pressure fwd spot at the Cats and if he has a solid second JLT he will get a start.
Kicked 7 goals in the grand final last year and was best on -> Kid can play footy and did not look out of place yesterday.

Daniel Gregg-Mantle

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 6, 2018
Brayshaw, Dow, LDU, Clarke all look likely of getting a round 1 debut. Most of us will be aiming to have 1 (possibly 2) of these boys, who is leading the way for you guys halfway through JLT? For me it's Brayshaw, just, at the moment. I think he's almost guaranteed a start each week, looks for high efficiency touches and is willing to tackle

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
Not impressed with the FWD rookies at all this season.

Currently have Christensen sitting at F5 atm.

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
With how bad the forward rookies are im tempted to have 4 on field rookies in defence and have an extra keeper (hopefully) up forward using Sicily.

Very risky. Not overly convinced by the DEF rookies either but I think there are definitely more options there that will play. 4 onfield rookies is prob a bit risky for mine.

Reactions: Dino and Prospector

Mark185

Feb 22, 2018
Very risky. Not overly convinced by the DEF rookies either but I think there are definitely more options there that will play. 4 onfield rookies is prob a bit risky for mine.

It’s a thought that will probably be destroyed by who gets picked in Rd1. However if I’m having 6 on field between def and fwd then to me it doesn’t matter where they come from if I have Sicily to swing.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Naismith out for 2018. Hurts as a supporter but opens the door for genuine Ruck Cover for SC. Don’t bank on Cameron getting games though. Sinclair will take on main ruck job and Horse has shown he’s happy to rotate Reid, Towers and even Allir as backup. An injury to Sinclair though means Cameron should defs play. In the absence of any other options this might be our best option at R3 now.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I feel like there will be more Forward rookies who will play, although I will trust almost none of them. I just don't think guys like M. Hibberd, O'Shea, Keeffe (both DEF/FWD), and Murray will get that round 1 call up. Coffield is no lock either from where he's named on the JLT interchange this week. Although he's on the ground for me if named. At this point I feel like Finlayson is a good bet to get named and I'm willing to play him and Doedee on the ground...but after that I'm not too happy with what's in the backline right now.

In the FWD line you'll probably have Ryan, Rioli, Garlett, and Fritsch. That's only 4, and 4 I don't trust to score well at all, but I don't see 4 guys under 200K getting named in the backline. You might be able to get to 4 if all of Coffield, Naughton, Finlayson, and Doedee get named.

I have both of Christensen and McCartin in my FWD right now just because I can't find anyone else I want on ground.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Naismith out for 2018. Hurts as a supporter but opens the door for genuine Ruck Cover for SC. Don’t bank on Cameron getting games though. Sinclair will take on main ruck job and Horse has shown he’s happy to rotate Reid, Towers and even Allir as backup. An injury to Sinclair though means Cameron should defs play. In the absence of any other options this might be our best option at R3 now.
If Cameron plays, is it worth not having a loophole to get his cash generation? I doubt he'll score too well in the same team as Sinclair, but I'm of the mind to pick him if he plays and deal without having a loophole at the start of the season.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
If Cameron plays, is it worth not having a loophole to get his cash generation? I doubt he'll score too well in the same team as Sinclair, but I'm of the mind to pick him if he plays and deal without having a loophole at the start of the season.

I think due to the lack of Ruck/Fwd cover this year, it makes sense to have genuine Ruck cover if it's available. Otherwise it's a donut every time one of our Rucks miss a game with General Soreness. It was much easier to have a non-playing loophole as R3 last year cos we all had Nank or Ryder in our Fwd Lines as a backup that could be swung in to the Ruck if needed.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I think due to the lack of Ruck/Fwd cover this year, it makes sense to have genuine Ruck cover if it's available. Otherwise it's a donut every time one of our Rucks miss a game with General Soreness. It was much easier to have a non-playing loophole as R3 last year cos we all had Nank or Ryder in our Fwd Lines as a backup that could be swung in to the Ruck if needed.

If your picking genuine Rucks (that is solo ruck for the team) you wont have the issue of a Ruck missing through general soreness.
It's the teams that run with several ruck options that will rest players.

Reactions: Dino