2018 Defence Premiums

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Yeah have to agree I think you have to lock & load Laird, he'll have a super high ownership but very hard to see him not being top 2 at years end, will have to deal with more attention though which to date he hasn't dealt that well with.

Yeo is a worry but hard not to start with him too would like some assurances that he 100% fit coming in though.

As the boys mentioned on the Podcast, Hanley is very, very underpriced on what he could do, very high ceiling very low basement.

Not sure I have a spot for him but like Lloyd from Sydney too, consistent but maybe a bit low ceiling wise, best footy is in front of him, popular concern is McVeigh hurting his scoring I personally lean more to it being a coincidence last season.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I don't trust too many back there, so right now I've picked all of Laird, Hibberd, and Simpson just because I think they're all good for at least a 90 avg. I've got to have some semblance of safety looking at how the FWD and Ruck lines are shaping up.

Geoff123

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Aug 10, 2017
I don't trust too many back there, so right now I've picked all of Laird, Hibberd, and Simpson just because I think they're all good for at least a 90 avg. I've got to have some semblance of safety looking at how the FWD and Ruck lines are shaping up.
I have the same premiums selections for now, would like to pick yeo if confirmed fit, Hibbard scored well yesterday.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Yeo and Hurley worry me. One year of premium scoring making them the top 2 priced picks on the line sounds dangerous.

Laird and Hibberd are my only locks. I think i may look for value after that. Shaw went onto my "never again" list last year but he is an option. If Hanley can stay fit and run through midfield then he could work too.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Yeo and Hurley worry me. One year of premium scoring making them the top 2 priced picks on the line sounds dangerous.

Laird and Hibberd are my only locks. I think i may look for value after that. Shaw went onto my "never again" list last year but he is an option. If Hanley can stay fit and run through midfield then he could work too.
Yep the only 2 locks at this stage down back is Laird & Hibbo.
The addition of Lever has just cemented Hibbo's spot and role in the team.
After that it's going to be value picks that get it done.
Devon should be the next to consider, his upside is so great and looked good yesterday, and will be interesting to see how Sicily goes in the first couple of PS matches.
Not to keen on Shaw, he just seems to be on a downward trend and his ceiling isn't what it used to be.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Yep the only 2 locks at this stage down back is Laird & Hibbo.
The addition of Lever has just cemented Hibbo's spot and role in the team.
After that it's going to be value picks that get it done.
Devon should be the next to consider, his upside is so great and looked good yesterday, and will be interesting to see how Sicily goes in the first couple of PS matches.
Not to keen on Shaw, he just seems to be on a downward trend and his ceiling isn't what it used to be.
Devon Smith? (sorry everyone else has defender eligibility, I have to ask) The forward line is a whole different story/thread but I really worry about him actually getting this midfield time they're talking about. If Merrett didn't get hurt, would he have been in the middle so much? There are a lot of names at Essendon who are going to be in the midfield...Heppell, Merrett, Zaha, Parish, McGrath, maybe Goddard and Myers. Will he really be getting that 70% of time in the middle everyone is assuming. He's in like 13% of teams right now and that's only going to rise. I'm going to let him run against me, especially since I think he'll struggle to stay healthy if he does get 70% midfield time.

Reactions: PickenWinners

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Devon Smith? (sorry everyone else has defender eligibility, I have to ask) The forward line is a whole different story/thread but I really worry about him actually getting this midfield time they're talking about. If Merrett didn't get hurt, would he have been in the middle so much? There are a lot of names at Essendon who are going to be in the midfield...Heppell, Merrett, Zaha, Parish, McGrath, maybe Goddard and Myers. Will he really be getting that 70% of time in the middle everyone is assuming. He's in like 13% of teams right now and that's only going to rise. I'm going to let him run against me, especially since I think he'll struggle to stay healthy if he does get 70% midfield time.

Ha ha ha yeah i was in the middle of two threads and had Sicily in my head but using him in the fwrd lines so i started blabbing about the big D.
Sorry about that.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Ha ha ha yeah i was in the middle of two threads and had Sicily in my head but using him in the fwrd lines so i started blabbing about the big D.
Sorry about that.
No worries, he's got to be discussed. He's going to be a highly selected midpricer.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Brandon Ellis could be an option at 500K. In consideration for D3 for me. Probably up against Simpson (or a real cheapie depending how many defensive rookies come through).

Ellis is a bit of a panic merchant though and his DE is not the greatest. Averaged OK once switched back to defence last year and he should definitely keep that role.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

I'm trying to work out who worries me more out of Hibbard and Yeo, Yeo could really backfire but could also go 110, where'as Hibbard won't destroy your team but I wouldn't surprised if he just hovered around 90.

Reactions: churchboybrian

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I think Hibberd is a pretty safe pick this year. The addition of Lever will really free him up and will love roamimg across the half back line.
As for Yeo, i think he will explode this season and he currently sits in my backline.

Shane Medcalf

Aspiring Coach
Feb 19, 2017
Is anyone considering Nathan Wilson? 417k avg 75.9 at gws, surely should increase by being at freo? id imagine it would spend abit of time down back

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Is anyone considering Nathan Wilson? 417k avg 75.9 at gws, surely should increase by being at freo? id imagine it would spend abit of time down back
I considered him. Had a quick glance at his record. Decided it was just a bit too speculative for me.

Definitely not the worst pick. Could pay off. Will reserve my right to trade him in for about 500K if he comes out and smashes it.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Savage becomes an interesting one. Killed it last night pumping out a 140-odd, seems as though he has taken on Montagna's role.

Never been SC relevant but averaged 87 in 2017 but 100 post bye, if he puts in a similar performance for JLT2 he will be hard to ignore.

willb

Jul 21, 2015
I'm going to be starting with Hibberd and I'm banking on being able to get Yeo for a cheaper price. He usually throws in a couple of lower scores which will hopefully bring him into the mid to high 400k range.

Reactions: cactus

Daniel Gregg-Mantle

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 6, 2018
Yep I've been watching Savage closely, could be a great POD in just 1%. Looks to have a solid role coming off half back, often kicking long (extra points) with high efficiency, plus getting plenty of Rebound50s and Inside50s.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Didn't have Heater all of last season. Now he's burned a bunch a people there is a good chance he becomes a big POD. But the POD status won't exist if he plays like this again in JLT2.

Reactions: tmac and cactus

lenny

Development Coach
Jun 21, 2015
Didn't have Heater all of last season. Now he's burned a bunch a people there is a good chance he becomes a big POD. But the POD status won't exist if he plays like this again in JLT2.
I got burned by him last year, so I'm treading lightly. I just keep on thinking "It's a trap"

Also need to understand how Griffen coming back into the side will affect his role

Reactions: zac