Bye Structure - My plans and strategy

Kid81

Jun 8, 2016
Hi there, i am a long time listener of this podcast but a first time poster. I would like to offer up my team structure and what i plan on doing for the next three rounds. Would love any feedback you guys might have around what improvements i could make and who i might be missing once i am done in round 16.

I am currently ranked in the top 1000, i have 13 trades left and a war chest of $122,000.

Current Team
Shaw - Rance - Laird
Rich - Adams - DBJ
(S. Collins & M. Hartley)

Danger - Neale - Abblett
Priddis - Sheil - R. Gray
Parker - Rockliff
(Libratore, R. Davis, J. Hopper)

Gawn - NicNat
(S. Grimely)

Zorko - Barlow - Z Merrett
Wells - Petracca - Kerridge
(M. Brown, B. Crocker)

Rnd 13 Trades
Out - Davis (300K)
Out - Brown (271K)
Out - Crocker (185K)
In - Jansen (124K)
In - Martin (544K)
In - Fwd Rookie TBC (124K)
BANK - $66K and will field 22 players (2 rookies) - Proj. 1800

Rnd 14 Trades
Out - Hartley (294K)
Out - Petracca (347K)
Out - Adams (387K)
In - Docherty (565K)
In - Def Rookie TBC (124K)
BANK - $281K and will field 20 players (3 rookies) - Proj. 1750

Rnd 15 Trades
Out - Darcy BJ (346K)
Out - Kerridge (450K)
In - Deledio (510K)
In - Simpson (530K)
Bank - $37K and will field 20 players (5 rookies) - Proj. 1650

From round 16 i will have 5 trades left and $37K in the bank.
Rnd 16 Team
Shaw - Rance - Laird - Rich - Docherty - Simpson (S. Collins & Rookie)
Danger - Neale - Abblett - Priddis - Sheil - R. Gray - Parker - Rockliff (Libratore, J. Hopper, Rookie)
Gawn - NicNat (S. Grimely)
Zorko - Barlow - Z Merrett - Wells - Martin - Delidio (Rookie, Rookie)

I plan to upgrade Grimley by downgrading Hopper for bench cover rnd 17-18.
This will only leave 4 trades for injury/suspension

If anyone thinks i am missing someone essential (excluding like for like on existing players as i will not be trading anyone i haven't mentioned with the exception of Sam Collins) or would advise a different strategy, i would love to have a chat.

One final thing that i am considering is a 3rd round 15 trade of Wells or Rich to a similar player already having sat out their bye. this could see my round 15 score hit 1700.

Perhaps some of you might like to share your plans so that others could have look and advise?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or feedback guys!

Reactions: cactus

Kid81

Jun 8, 2016
Worth noting that if NicNat is out, I will have to trade Grimely to cover. Probably Daw if he is named. In this case, Crocker and Petracca would swap trade rounds but the outcome would be the same.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
@Kid81 Good solid plans for the byes. The only thing that may come unstuck for you is the DEF and FWD rookies you plan to bring in. At this stage, I don't think there are many coming through. Hopefully that will change and good luck with your team.

At this stage, I don't plan on dong much trading through the byes. I will upgrade my 2 final MID spots and then reassess from here.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Rnd 13 Trades
Out - Davis (300K)
Out - Brown (271K)
Out - Crocker (185K)
In - Jansen (124K)
In - Martin (544K)

Getting Dusty in on his bye week??

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Make sure you have a FWD-MID in your mids.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Hi there, i am a long time listener of this podcast but a first time poster. I would like to offer up my team structure and what i plan on doing for the next three rounds. Would love any feedback you guys might have around what improvements i could make and who i might be missing once i am done in round 16.

I am currently ranked in the top 1000, i have 13 trades left and a war chest of $122,000.

Current Team
Shaw - Rance - Laird
Rich - Adams - DBJ
(S. Collins & M. Hartley)

Danger - Neale - Abblett
Priddis - Sheil - R. Gray
Parker - Rockliff
(Libratore, R. Davis, J. Hopper)

Gawn - NicNat
(S. Grimely)

Zorko - Barlow - Z Merrett
Wells - Petracca - Kerridge
(M. Brown, B. Crocker)

Rnd 13 Trades
Out - Davis (300K)
Out - Brown (271K)
Out - Crocker (185K)
In - Jansen (124K)
In - Martin (544K)

Rnd 14 Trades
Out - Hartley (294K)
Out - Petracca (347K)
Out - Adams (387K)
In - Docherty (565K)
In - Def Rookie TBC (124K)
BANK - $281K and will field 20 players (3 rookies) - Proj. 1750

Rnd 15 Trades
Out - Darcy BJ (346K)
Out - Kerridge (450K)
In - Deledio (510K)
In - Simpson (530K)
Bank - $37K and will field 20 players (5 rookies) - Proj. 1650

From round 16 i will have 5 trades left and $37K in the bank.
Rnd 16 Team
Shaw - Rance - Laird - Rich - Docherty - Simpson (S. Collins & Rookie)
Danger - Neale - Abblett - Priddis - Sheil - R. Gray - Parker - Rockliff (Libratore, J. Hopper, Rookie)
Gawn - NicNat (S. Grimely)
Zorko - Barlow - Z Merrett - Wells - Martin - Delidio (Rookie, Rookie)

I plan to upgrade Grimley by downgrading Hopper for bench cover rnd 17-18.
This will only leave 4 trades for injury/suspension

If anyone thinks i am missing someone essential (excluding like for like on existing players as i will not be trading anyone i haven't mentioned with the exception of Sam Collins) or would advise a different strategy, i would love to have a chat.

One final thing that i am considering is a 3rd round 15 trade of Wells or Rich to a similar player already having sat out their bye. this could see my round 15 score hit 1700.

Perhaps some of you might like to share your plans so that others could have look and advise?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or feedback guys!
I don't have my bye plan worked out a thing like a neatly as you but in general terms I'm going with something similar - making sure I have 18 on field in round 13 and hopefully doing a couple of downgrades to put money in the bank - and then trying to upgrade round 14 rookies to round 13 primos. I don't have Lids, Rance or Laird and it is looking like they should all be a a good buying price.

Your plan looks pretty good. It will probably get stuffed up to some extent by unexpected injuries of course ...

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
I'd keep Grimley as a rolling doughnut. No point trading out a basement price rookie at this stage IMO.

Instead you could bring Daw... Lycett.. Gorringe.. whoever into your forwards as long term R/F swing cover with Grimley.

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
I also map my future trades up to and including the final bye rnd from about Rnd 6 or 7. Well the names change a fair bit over the first couple of weeks, by
About rnd10 you seen to keep coming up with the same target trade ins. My only advice

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
I also map my future trades up to and including the final bye rnd from about Rnd 6 or 7. Well the names change a fair bit over the first couple of weeks, by
About rnd10 you seen to keep coming up with the same target trade ins. My only advice
Sorry fat finger on the phone...
As i was saying my only advice is to have a slightly cheaper "fallback" premium picked for each upgrade over the byes as a very low score or injury the week prior to one of your out's will hamper the cash flow at the end bye rnd where you only have 30 odd k to play with. I do this for mine and its payed dividends previously as your allowing for this now with the benefit of time and not deciding on the fly which when you do will cause you to have to restructure all future targets as well.
My example in my case is rnd 14 dusty in but montagna my fallback. I also try to pick mpp players for my rookies if available at same cost as the points are insignificant with a low score if they are the 19, 20th or 21st player in a bye week as their score wont count overall anyway but the flexibility they create is gold.
Thats my 2 cents.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
I did something similar last week and it all fell apart by Thursday when teams were announced.

I would trade Liba out in R14, move Kerridge to the mids and use that money to get Dusty. Thats a lot of money on your bench not doing anything.

Also what is your bye structure like for each week of the bye after each set of trades?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
i have 17 trades left and will do Dea and Walla to Collins and maybe Tippett this week (as rucks are Goldy and NicNAt)
R13 Smith and MacPherson to Jansen and Trengove
R14 not sure yet

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
What is the thinking if Mathieson is named this week. If you plan on getting Mathieson, Jansen and Trengove, either this rd or next has to be a dbl downgrade.

Kid81

Jun 8, 2016
Dino - I am a little worried but given the bench players i will have, as long as i have one playing, i will be satisfied. I think most people will have the same issues.

Haychh - Rnd 13 will be my strongest bye round. I can afford to have him come in on a doughnut as I need him for rnd 14 and 15.

Tevez - Good advice, I plan on getting a swing rookie but given i will have Libba on the Bench, I am happy enough. If 2 go down and one of the remaining rookies is not playing, I will have 4 trades to work with.

Cactus - I have no doubt someone will break my plan!

Bat - I plan on having another non playing mid rookie but I do like the idea of Daw on the bench. I dont have Goldy though so perhaps i need to consider getting Lycett or Tippet. I will be reviewing this carefully next week

The Juddernaut - Sound advice. Thank you for replying. I will spend some time this weekend looking at potential premium back ups. I really appreciate your reply mate. It is something I have not considered and I feel a bit silly for not thinking like that. Thank you

Tabs - I want to keep Libba as solid cover. My mids are full barring injury or suspension. I have 2 spots left in Def and 2 in Fwd. Overall i will be getting in Dusty, Delidio, Simpson and Docherty. Carlton's run at the end of the year should see Simpson and Docherty score really well. On a ssimilar note, Dusty and Lids tend to finish strong too and Richmond have played good footy in the second half of the year for the last couple. Taking them where i do will allow me to remain competitive through the Byes. I have 9 Mid premiums in rnd 13 playing so martin coming in is not going to hurt. After that, Rnd 14 and 15 will have me playing 17 and 15 premiums respectively. That should be enough to see me maintain my spot and win leagues. I am looking to go as high overall as i can this year.

Thank you all for your thoughts. It has given me a lot to think about. I really love listening to the Supercoach Coach podcasts and this forum is full of people with great insight.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Haychh - Rnd 13 will be my strongest bye round. I can afford to have him come in on a doughnut as I need him for rnd 14 and 15.

Fair enough explanation, just seemed like an odd call to me. FWIW I'll be getting him in Rd 15 when his 74 vs Kangas drops out of his 3 round average

Kid81

Jun 8, 2016
Fair enough explanation, just seemed like an odd call to me. FWIW I'll be getting him in Rd 15 when his 74 vs Kangas drops out of his 3 round average
Thanks Haychh. Perhaps i should look to Delidio first. They are both going to loose a similar amount, given that they are keepers, it is not huge but depending on how they go this rnd, Lids might be a better target in round 13 if martin will drop more than him the following week.

Thank you, i will keep a close eye on them.

toxic

May 1, 2015
Currently ranked in the top 100

Byes:
Current structure has
Rd 13 - 22 playing
Rd 14 - 20 playing
Rd 15 - 17 playing

my aim is to have 21 playing each bye round and finish the byes with a 80+ average player on the bench on Def, Mids and FWD

all that with 9+ trades left for the run home

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
At the moment my byes give me 20/18/18 each round.

However, next week probably 3 downgrades of Smith/Kerridge/Lyons to rookies which will effectively give me 23 for round 13. Then 3 post-bye premiums come in for round 14 which gives me at least 18 for both 14 and 15.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
What is the thinking if Mathieson is named this week. If you plan on getting Mathieson, Jansen and Trengove, either this rd or next has to be a dbl downgrade.
Can Mathieson and Jansen be named in the same team?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Tabs - I want to keep Libba as solid cover. My mids are full barring injury or suspension. I have 2 spots left in Def and 2 in Fwd. Overall i will be getting in Dusty, Delidio, Simpson and Docherty. Carlton's run at the end of the year should see Simpson and Docherty score really well. On a ssimilar note, Dusty and Lids tend to finish strong too and Richmond have played good footy in the second half of the year for the last couple. Taking them where i do will allow me to remain competitive through the Byes. I have 9 Mid premiums in rnd 13 playing so martin coming in is not going to hurt. After that, Rnd 14 and 15 will have me playing 17 and 15 premiums respectively. That should be enough to see me maintain my spot and win leagues. I am looking to go as high overall as i can this year
Understandable. I would think that Trengove although more expensive, has better JS than Jansen.

Also you are bringing in 2 rookie fwds and their arent any out there with great JS if one of your fwds misses a game.

Also NicNAt is on crutches, are you worried?

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
Not sure what to do for the bye rounds. I can understand selling someone who has the bye in round 13, but who ever you buy in will miss a round coming up.

I have 19 playing round 13 minus any outs currently have 14 trades left after this round I am thinking of not trading in round 13, trading in 2 or 3 players who have had their bye in 13 and doing the same in round 15.