Max Gawn

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015
There's been a lot of questions (including from me) about whether Gawn is this year's Stef Martin. Perhaps wishful thinking and probably not a great idea to expect the same stellar output (111 avg onwards as soon as he came in post-bye), but as someone who rode Martin as an extremely handy F6 all the way home last year, i'm very tempted by Gawn.

Didn't grab him last week at $339k but still considering him at $410k as either F6 or a F7/R3 cover (i.e. doing the job YOU were supposed to, Bellchambers you spud).

True that Jamar isn't injured and is being a ruck dinosaur in the VFL - but he's turning 32yo shortly, has never been too reliable injury-history-wise and just doesn't have any meaningful influence around the ground. True that Spencer also isn't injured and might cannibalise Gawn's points - but then Gawn still posted a massive score last week with Spencer sharing the hit-outs.

Only a 3-game sample size but I read somewhere that Gawn leads the comp in HOs-to-advantage, and he's posted beast-like numbers in the VFL over the past couple of years.

Like I said, i'm tempted (next week obviously). Is anyone else looking at Gawn?

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I was a little tempted last week as F7 for ruck cover but his price and bye turned me off as I already have Gold/Nat so the cover doesn't help me there, went for Mckernan this week instead. I know he's been dominating but his 3 games haven't been against great rucks (Coll, StK, Geel). He does have injury history too but if he stays healthy I don't see why he doesn't play every game and average reasonably well, but I doubt he'll up around the 110 figure.

Shanenma

May 7, 2015
Melb CBD
Lot to ponder on Gawn yes. Although, in a way desperate for some looking for value.

I agree with the guys on the podcast, huge risk because if it doesn't work out (whatever reason, dropped, injured, performs shit), it will be hell to fix because of his 'mid price' status in the ruck. You'll either be chasing other value rucks (and fail again), or need 2+ trades to get into a proper premium.

If you can - get a true lock premium ruck if you can.

Shanenma

May 7, 2015
Melb CBD
That sounded very anti-Gawn... but to flip the coin a little bit, don't need to look so far back to Stefan Martin of last year, how about the Blicavs from start of the year! No one has been a believer of his consistency... wish I got him. Is he next Blicavs?

... nah........ :p

writeoff

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Somewhere in time
I think Gawn is too big a risk for R2 but acceptable for F6 or as a backup to your forwards and rucks at F7.
I had the same thoughts on TBC and Gawn would just fulfil that role (hopefully better than TBC did).

Reactions: The Kraken

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015
I think Gawn is too big a risk for R2 but acceptable for F6 or as a backup to your forwards and rucks at F7.
I had the same thoughts on TBC and Gawn would just fulfil that role (hopefully better than TBC did).

That's my thinking - Gawn as F6 or F7/ruck back-up (via rookie R/F at R3 (like everyone else)). My rucks are Goldy and NicNat, Gawn would not be on the field in my RUC line..

Reactions: J-Dog
Jun 9, 2015
Brought him in last week for ruck coverage/F7 (I have read as my R3). I'm a Dees man and can't see him getting dropped at this stage. Jamar is finished and Spencer actually worked really well with him in tandem last week. Based on his form I'm happy to leave him as F6 which means I'm fully upgraded now. Woop