Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I already have Gray, Dusty, Bennell, Swan and Goddard. If I get Mitchell this week my forward line will essentially be done. Is it too early to have the forward line right up to F6? Should I leave my F6 vacant in case someone comes along or breaks out? I always pencilled in Buddy as my F6 one day but now rethinking

For what's its worth, bringing in Mitchell would leave me with Gray and Mitchell in the midfield for the time being.
Whether or not it's too early doesn't really matter... Thats one solid forward line and with a bit of luck you won't have to touch it for the rest of the year, which gives you a head start finishing off your mids during the byes and get a good look at what to do with defence. I say go for it.

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
Whether or not it's too early doesn't really matter... Thats one solid forward line and with a bit of luck you won't have to touch it for the rest of the year, which gives you a head start finishing off your mids during the byes and get a good look at what to do with defence. I say go for it.

Thanks Steve. Another reason I'm leaning towards doing it is I got most of these guys at decent prices. Bennell, Swan, Gray and Dustin were all starters where Bennell ($514k) and Swan ($464k) were reasonable then I brought in Goddard ($507k) and now Mitchell ($405k). I'm happy with the investment I laid out on those four guys and I probably shouldn't worry about the timing.

Reactions: Steve
May 7, 2015
I am also worried about Tom Mitchell's job security. I agree with Marcus on the podcast this week. Is he a premium in our end of season team or are we going to blow a trade that is effectively a leap frog manoeuvre cause if we are that sounds like a mid pricer strategy that should only be undertaken with your starting team?

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
You should definitely only pick him if you think he will be a premium this year. I do.

Unforgiven

Patron '18
Patron '19
May 14, 2015
I'm so conflicted about this trade. My initial reaction is no, job security, and I don't think he is a 105+ ave player.

Although I do think he has the potential to average 95-105, and I think the risk/reward is going to force me to trade him in.

At best his averages 105+
At worse he makes some coin, maybe averages 80-90 and is a stepping stone to premium. This outcome is far from ideal and wastes trades, but isn't disastersous.

So conflicted!......

Reactions: The Kraken

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Mitchell is definitely risk/reward but its a risk I am willing to take. If he gets dropped so be it, but I don't want to be wishing I had jumped on him when it's rd 14 and avging 105.

I am in the same situation RichardC. I picked up Bont last week and Mitch finishes off my forward line. Rd 7 and I'm happy with my fwd starting 6 :)

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
I've already got JPK and Parker is Mitchell too many Sydney players??
So do I but getting Mitchell as long as u have cover over the byes u will be fine

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I think if you're uncomfortable about the trade or something just doesnt seem right about it, then dont do it. Back your gut. If youre not as confident about it as Donk was on the podcast, then it might not be the right move for you.

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015
I think if you're uncomfortable about the trade or something just doesnt seem right about it, then dont do it. Back your gut. If youre not as confident about it as Donk was on the podcast, then it might not be the right move for you.

I'm still having an existential crisis about it. Burnt by the Titch hype train last year (like many, no doubt) and while he has looked better in his 2 games this year, they've only been against WBD & Demons; Cats & Hawks in the next 2 weeks will be the real test for him.

Personally i prefer Neale ($540k, 116avg, 46BE, 45 about to roll out of his price) or Ebert ($518k, 110avg, 75BE, 80 about to roll out of his price) - more expensive than Titch to be sure, but i see both as being more likely to be keepers than him. That's a super crowded Swans midfield, that team is full of role players, how do we know he'll still be spending as much time on the ball in a month's time? Horse wasn't exactly talking him up post game either, i dont think Titch is locked into best 22 yet, and based on how hard Horse is making him work for his spot, it wouldnt stun me to see him vested at some point in the next month
* Neale - apart from his bad game against the Swans, he has put up Titch-NEAFL-esque numbers with 133, 145 and 170, Neale is absolutely best22 for Freo
* Ebert - can also go large with 2x130s and his lowest so far only an 80, still got to 99 last week bandaged up like a mummy. Faded last year (106avg first 13 rounds, 80 avg afterwards) - like a lot of his teammates - but my gut tells me he can keep it going longer this time

Personally I am leaning towards to collecting another week or two of data on Titch. With all the injuries this year i'm chewing through trades and want Titch to be a keeper. If it means paying an extra $60-70k for him in 2 weeks' time because he has torched the Cats and Hawks and Horse is raving about him then i'll jump on then i think....

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm still having an existential crisis about it. Burnt by the Titch hype train last year (like many, no doubt) and while he has looked better in his 2 games this year, they've only been against WBD & Demons; Cats & Hawks in the next 2 weeks will be the real test for him.

Personally i prefer Neale ($540k, 116avg, 46BE, 45 about to roll out of his price) or Ebert ($518k, 110avg, 75BE, 80 about to roll out of his price) - more expensive than Titch to be sure, but i see both as being more likely to be keepers than him. That's a super crowded Swans midfield, that team is full of role players, how do we know he'll still be spending as much time on the ball in a month's time? Horse wasn't exactly talking him up post game either, i dont think Titch is locked into best 22 yet, and based on how hard Horse is making him work for his spot, it wouldnt stun me to see him vested at some point in the next month
* Neale - apart from his bad game against the Swans, he has put up Titch-NEAFL-esque numbers with 133, 145 and 170, Neale is absolutely best22 for Freo
* Ebert - can also go large with 2x130s and his lowest so far only an 80, still got to 99 last week bandaged up like a mummy. Faded last year (106avg first 13 rounds, 80 avg afterwards) - like a lot of his teammates - but my gut tells me he can keep it going longer this time

Personally I am leaning towards to collecting another week or two of data on Titch. With all the injuries this year i'm chewing through trades and want Titch to be a keeper. If it means paying an extra $60-70k for him in 2 weeks' time because he has torched the Cats and Hawks and Horse is raving about him then i'll jump on then i think....

That's pretty interesting actuall his 100+ scores in the past have come against poor oppisition, Richmond x 2, GWS, Melbourne, Adelaide (in a 77pt win) and a 99 against Carlton, his best scores against decent oppisition were against Collingwood 97, Port 84, so you are backing that his game has gone to a new level (certainly not out of the question) & that he's going to play atleast 80% in the guts, I think I'm with you in waiting to see what he does in these next couple games.

Reactions: The Kraken

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
The whole point/fun of this game is that it is a game of limited information. Titch is pick now or don't pick him up. Id love to see 4/5 games from all my players before picking them but that's not how it works.

Reactions: Dino

Shanenma

May 7, 2015
Melb CBD
I already have Gray, Dusty, Bennell, Swan and Goddard. If I get Mitchell this week my forward line will essentially be done. Is it too early to have the forward line right up to F6? Should I leave my F6 vacant in case someone comes along or breaks out? I always pencilled in Buddy as my F6 one day but now rethinking

For what's its worth, bringing in Mitchell would leave me with Gray and Mitchell in the midfield for the time being.
Nah.. don't over think that. You need to pick up the value (and potential) where you see it and as it comes. This year, the fwd line is uniquely packed... an easy solution for this is to swing one of these guys you've mentioned into the mid if you see potential to pack in more fwds..

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
Nah.. don't over think that. You need to pick up the value (and potential) where you see it and as it comes. This year, the fwd line is uniquely packed... an easy solution for this is to swing one of these guys you've mentioned into the mid if you see potential to pack in more fwds..

Your right Big Kev, it is uniquely packed this year, but only at the moment we haven't started round seven yet.
It would be like macdonald coming along last year with this scoring and going do I add him to mcveigh, bartel, swallow, malceski or wait.
Thats also four rnd 12 bye boys in one line so hope there is some mpp fo that week for you richard?

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
I'm only just listening to the podcast now as been super busy this week and now understand where the questions from FB and Marcus's like come from.
Sorry guys should of listened earlier, wasn't trying to rehash old ground.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
I agree but had to do injury trades this week, with Mitchell in the bubble he had to come in. Will do Rookie to Premo upgrade (Newton to Priddis/Pendles) next week.
I did bring Titch in haha, imagine if I did the Priddis trade i was very close both went well i guess so no harm done