Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I haven't noticed it before but the SC site provides a breakdown of their scoring system.
Is it a new feature this year?
For those without SC Plus:
handball: effective - 1.5; ineffective - 0; clanger - minus 4
handball receive: 1.5

kicks: effective - 4; ineffective - 0; clanger - minus 4
mark from own team kick: uncontested - 2; contested - 6;
mark from opposition kick: uncontested - 4; contested - 8

hardball get: 4.5
loose-ball get: 4.5

tackle: 4
free: for - 4; against - minus 4

hit-out-to-advantage: 5; gather from hit-out: 2

Note that there are no contested/uncontested possession categories apart from marks.
CD categorizes according to whether the ball is controlled by:
your team - handball, handball receives, kicks, marks
opposition team - marks, tackles
neither team: contested marks, hardball and loose-ball get; hit-out-to-advantage; gather from hit-out

Where the casual observer might get confused, as I was at one time, is in the same points being awarded for hardball and loose-ball gets.
CD considers both to be contested possessions. The hardball gets are obviously so, the loose-ball gets not so much.
CD considers any ball that is not specifically handballed/kicked to a player as a contested possession. If two players are able to compete for the ball it is a hardball get. If only one player is in a position to get the ball it is a loose-ball get,
e.g. a ball kicked into the fwd 50 bounces off hands into the clear, a small fwd runs on to the ball and kicks a goal.
The small fwd may be 20m from any other player but that possession is classed as a contested possession, loose-ball get. In theory either team could have possessed the ball and that is why it is considered a contested possession.
If, in the same situation, both a defender and a fwd compete for the ball it is classed as a contested possession, hardball get.

I doubt that this is their complete scoring system.
As far as I know CD gives points for tap-ons to advantage and differentiates between short and long effective kicks. There are probably others.

Last edited:

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
I haven't noticed it before but the SC site provides a breakdown of their scoring system.
Is it a new feature this year?
For those without SC Plus:
handball: effective - 1.5; ineffective - 0; clanger - minus 4
handball receive: 1.5

kicks: effective - 4; ineffective - 0; clanger - minus 4
mark from own team kick: uncontested - 2; contested - 6;
mark from opposition kick: uncontested - 4; contested - 8

hardball get: 4.5
loose-ball get: 4.5

tackle: 4
free: for - 4; against - minus 4

hit-out-to-advantage: 5; gather from hit-out: 2

Note that there are no contested/uncontested possession categories apart from marks.
CD categorizes according to whether the ball is controlled by:
your team - handball, handball receives, kicks, marks
opposition team - marks, tackles
neither team: contested marks, hardball and loose-ball get; hit-out-to-advantage; gather from hit-out

Where the casual observer might get confused, as I was at one time, is in the same points being awarded for hardball and loose-ball gets.
CD considers both to be contested possessions. The hardball gets are obviously so, the loose-ball gets not so much.
CD considers any ball that is not specifically handballed/kicked to a player as a contested possession. If two players are able to compete for the ball it is a hardball get. If only one player is in a position to get the ball it is a loose-ball get,
e.g. a ball kicked into the fwd 50 bounces off hands into the clear, a small fwd runs on to the ball and kicks a goal.
The small fwd may be 20m from any other player but that possession is classed as a contested possession, loose-ball get. In theory either team could have possessed the ball and that is why it is considered a contested possession.
If, in the same situation, both a defender and a fwd compete for the ball it is classed as a contested possession, hardball get.

I doubt that this is their complete scoring system.
As far as I know CD gives points for tap-ons to advantage and differentiates between short and long effective kicks. There are probably others.
We know for sure that this is not the entire scoring system.

Regarding hard ball v. loose ball gets, is there any difference in the score for the kick / handball prior?

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
We know for sure that this is not the entire scoring system.

Regarding hard ball v. loose ball gets, is there any difference in the score for the kick / handball prior?
Apparently not.
I think, if I understand you correctly, that ineffective handballs/kicks are what create the hardball/loose-ball get situation.
If a disposal is effective then the team retains the ball and is attributed a handball receive or uncontested mark.
If a disposal is a clanger then the opposition team gets the ball and is attributed an uncontested mark, free kick, (or even maybe a handball receive?)

Although the hardball/loose-ball distinction doesn't seem to be used in all iffy situations.
e.g. contested marks you'd think would all be hardball gets; same with ruck hit-outs

Reactions: Prospector

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
If a disposal is a clanger then the opposition team gets the ball and is attributed an uncontested mark, free kick, (or even maybe a handball receive?)
What does a clanger cost?

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
What does a clanger cost?
Minus 4 to the player who has the handball or kick clanger.
But also 4 to the opposing player who takes the uncontested mark from the clanger kick. Maybe, even 2 to the opposition player who gets a handball receive from an errant handball.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Apparently not.
I think, if I understand you correctly, that ineffective handballs/kicks are what create the hardball/loose-ball get situation.
If a disposal is effective then the team retains the ball and is attributed a handball receive or uncontested mark.

Although the hardball/loose-ball distinction doesn't seem to be used in all iffy situations.
e.g. contested marks you'd think would all be hardball gets; same with ruck hit-outs
An effective kick doesn't have to find the target. A kick over 40m to a contest counts also.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/144837/...A deliberate kick without taking,HARDBALL GET

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
The biggest thing to remember, I think, is that despite certain points being attributed for certain actions, at the end of the day this is really just a guide. Point allocations for certain acts will scale up and down depending on the game

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
The biggest thing to remember, I think, is that despite certain points being attributed for certain actions, at the end of the day this is really just a guide. Point allocations for certain acts will scale up and down depending on the game
As an example, not all effective kicks score 4 points. From memory, a long effective kick marked by teammate is worth 5 and a short effective kick is only worth 3. I think there's all sorts of similar variations that get applied when it comes to adding up to a SC score.

Dunny29

Mar 11, 2016
Yeah, this.

I noticed in the Giants/Saints game that the 3300 points got hit with several minutes left, so every time a player got points, it was the expense of them being taken off others.

It doesn't matter what each action is worth as such, it's what each action is worth relative to each other (and to go extra deep that is probably beyond us without the full sheet/guide, which ones provide most value this year due to ability to repeat the action often/reliably, taking into consideration the different game style we are seeing this year)

Onto other points above in the thread, I did feel watching the match/scores update that the point system must have been tweaked a bit this year, in particular contested/uncontested. Also there seemed to be a few times that a long kick to a contest didn't seem to score well compared to a short kick to a teammate (this is obviously just from what I saw and there could easily be a bunch of stuff I'm not taking into account such as the scores being tidied up after the initial update and may have been biased/optimistic viewing it as mainly following players I picked lol).

Perhaps ramblings of a crazed man here, I was wondering if maybe Champion Data have recognised before the season started that a long kick not maintaining possession (even if it ends up in a stoppage, so not necessarily a turnover, something coaches/teams with the ball would try/hope for this result) is considerably less valuable compared to a short kick that is marked (with man on mark rules) this year (relative to each other last year to this year if that makes sense, possibly outright also though now) and as a result have tweaked scoring.