2020 Begins

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Gawn has injured his knee, the report has been confirmed.
Severity is unknown at this stage.

Edit: sources say that he was extremely dissapionted as he left the ground.
What scares me the most is he knows all to well what an ACL feels like.
I just read 3-5 weeks

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
A few points about Oliver:
he had double shoulder surgery in the 2018-19 off-season - or so I've heard
a lot of the Dees had off-season injury problems and started 2019 underdone - a lack of team cohesion would have impacted Oliver's scoring
he has played 66/66 games in his three full seasons with 111.5, 114.7 and 109.4 averages

Given these points I think he is under-priced and a safe starting pick.
He may not score as well as most of those priced higher but I think he's a definite top-10 mid.
I agreed and blamed his shoulders for his drop. However, compare his 2018 & 2019 stats. They're almost identical. Disposals, kicks, contested possessions, marks, TOG, DE%, metres gained - all equal or better in 2019.

So why was he worse in 2019? Less goals, goal assists and score involvements. More clangers. Demons went from 2nd best SC team with 1709/game to the 16th best with 1590/game. He scored worse because the Demons were worse and he had a worse forward line to feed, nothing to do with him at all.

The question is whether the Demons will be significantly better in 2020?? I have no idea, but I would say if you're picking Oliver then your answer should be yes.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Devon Smith is at an interesting price: $335,800 - a projected 61 av.
That's way under-priced if he's fit.
Not touching. No way he gets an inside mid role like he had 2018. Wing/flank/forward he'll average sub-90. Last year in that type of role it was sub-70. Just not enough at that price to make it worthwhile for me. Even absolute best case of 90 means barely $100k gain and still a trade to upgrade.

Reactions: Prospector

Happyracoon

Ava Ash
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Not touching. No way he gets an inside mid role like he had 2018. Wing/flank/forward he'll average sub-90. Last year in that type of role it was sub-70. Just not enough at that price to make it worthwhile for me. Even absolute best case of 90 means barely $100k gain and still a trade to upgrade.
Love your challenge of the Smith pick. I believe he wasn’t 100% last year, in addition to his forward role. He’s in my team for now, but only just, I need to hear more on his intended role. Definitely not the lock that I see going around Twitter. Looking for a reason not to pick him.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Love your challenge of the Smith pick. I believe he wasn’t 100% last year, in addition to his forward role. He’s in my team for now, but only just, I need to hear more on his intended role. Definitely not the lock that I see going around Twitter. Looking for a reason not to pick him.
I scrolled straight past him and didn't even consider him. Nearly fell off my chair when I saw him in 49% of teams.

Injured or not, his possession and tackle numbers match every other season outside of 2018. And his scoring was dreadful. Similar possessions to 2017 but kicked it more, and we know he's a dreadful kick so his DE% was down and clangers were up. Tackles similar also. Even his metres gained, goal assists and clearance numbers were some of the best in his career.

I'll look at him if he somehow gets an inside mid role cause we know he can score in that role with higher tackle numbers. Otherwise it's hard to even make a case for him to significantly better his 2020 average, let alone the 95 he needs to be a worthwhile pick.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Max Gawn to be available for the start of the season, after scans confirmed a (grade 2) moderate strain in his left medial ligament.

I still hold concerns, especially when it's now been done.
Concerns for sure. Then you read Naismith will definitely play preseason and round 1 and is ready to help the midfield, so presumably playing as #1 ruck. At $251k....

I'm currently working out what an extra $446k will do for me....

Reactions: doddy2731

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Has anyone considered Greenwood? Freako has been pumping him up.

There's actually a bit of depth at GC for inside mid spots and Greenwood can legitimately rotate forward where Swallow/Miller/Fiorini can't as much. Even throw Rowell into that mix probably.

That being said he feels like the sort of pick we all look back on as obvious. I know TOG was always an issue at Adelaide (averaged 72%, 75%, 65% in his 3 seasons). Was that coach driven or down to aerobic base? Could he lift his numbers just by being on the ground more?

inwhiterooms

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Has anyone considered Greenwood? Freako has been pumping him up.

There's actually a bit of depth at GC for inside mid spots and Greenwood can legitimately rotate forward where Swallow/Miller/Fiorini can't as much. Even throw Rowell into that mix probably.

That being said he feels like the sort of pick we all look back on as obvious. I know TOG was always an issue at Adelaide (averaged 72%, 75%, 65% in his 3 seasons). Was that coach driven or down to aerobic base? Could he lift his numbers just by being on the ground more?

Really like Greenwood. In my team right now, but waiting for assurance of role during the JLT Wizard Home Loans NAB Marsh Cup challenge.

He's in at the expense of Heeney, who I'm reading has another pre-season injury. Still wouldn't mind taking Heeney if he's fit, get he's frustrated us over the past two seasons though.

I'm sure he'll string it all together one of these seasons looking like the world-beater we expected him to be.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Really like Greenwood. In my team right now, but waiting for assurance of role during the JLT Wizard Home Loans NAB Marsh Cup challenge.

He's in at the expense of Heeney, who I'm reading has another pre-season injury. Still wouldn't mind taking Heeney if he's fit, get he's frustrated us over the past two seasons though.

I'm sure he'll string it all together one of these seasons looking like the world-beater we expected him to be.

I think GC has signed Greenwood for a purpose, what that is exactly we will see.
But he will play every game and see plenty of mid time I would expect.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I think GC has signed Greenwood for a purpose, what that is exactly we will see.
But he will play every game and see plenty of mid time I would expect.
Not sure what to think about Greenwood. He had centre clearances almost every game he played last year, so must have had a decent amount of mid time. Suns have a broad range of mids, so not convinced they got him for a midfield role. No doubt he scores well and only needs 20 touches to post 90+ consistently. I'm looking elsewhere currently, but can see the appeal. He's the sort of pick you need to be convinced he's got the role you need from the preseason. Until then we really have nothing to go off.

Reactions: Happyracoon

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I'm with @Lowrider on Greenwood: not sure what to think.
Will he play mid? hff?

He was 4th behind Sloane and the Crouch bros. in CBA attendance according to the Draft Doctors' stat.s: rnd.18 - 11; rnd.17 - 11; rnd.16 - 13; rnd.15 - 7. [When Gibbs was still in the side.]
The Suns ran a lot of players through the mid-field and the CBA attendance varied from week to week.
Rnd.22: Witts - 24; Fiorini - 20; Swallow - 17; Horlin-Smith - 14, Miller - 13; Lemens - 9. Macpherson - 6
Rnd.21: Witts - 30; Miller - 25; Swallow - 20; Lemens - 13; Bowes - 12; Hanley - 12; Fiorini - 8
Rnd.20: Witts - 24; Miller - 22; Swallow - 17; Lemens - 16; Miles - 10; Macpherson - 8; Bowes - 6; Fiorini - 4
Rnd.19: Witts - 33; Lemens - 25; Swallow - 22; Miller - 19; Macpherson - 13; Miles - 12; Fiorini - 11
Rnd.18: Witts - 27; Lemens - 25; Swallow - 18; Fiorini - 13; Brodie - 12; Miller - 9; Macpherson - 9
That looks to me like a team/coach still figuring out their best CBA combination.

Greenwood wins CPs at will but his UPs are way down. That is much like the Suns as a whole. From what I have heard the Suns were top-2 for CPs last year but botton-2 for UPs. [I have yet to receive my Prospectus so I might have to change that.]
So he joins a team that values what he is good at but that already has many similar players.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Like i said in the initial post, Greenwood has been signed for a purpose what that will be we will have to wait and see.
As i do except GC have a core midfield I see that he is there for a reason and I personally think that is to be used in the middle.

Reactions: Happyracoon