Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
I'm getting sucked into Newman, Smith & Roberton :eek::oops:

I'm going to back my call in a couple of weeks ago with Newman he's sitting as my D4 at present and baring a score under 60 this weekend in the final JLT he's staying put. Roberton and Smith are also tempting but realistically we can only take the 1 it would be rude not too :)

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
I'm going to back my call in a couple of weeks ago with Newman he's sitting as my D4 at present and baring a score under 60 this weekend in the final JLT he's staying put. Roberton and Smith are also tempting but realistically we can only take the 1 it would be rude not too :)

Why do you think we can only take one of these players?

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Why do you think we can only take one of these players?
Where do i start?

1. Pricewise - Newman $394k, Smith 332k & Roberton 297k very risky and yuck prices. Perhaps too much cash spent in back 6 is my thoughts here if having 2. My setup has 3 Prem's then Newman at the 4 with rookies at 5 & 6.

2. Injury potential - Risky business. Although Newman doesn't have any prior history Roberton and Smith could potentially be disastrous given there recent history. Fingers crossed they don't suffer anymore season ending injuries.

But that's just my thoughts lads and can definitely see the temptation for me however just too risky for my setup anyhow.

Reactions: TomCat

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
What are everyone’s thoughts on Callum Mills? I really think he will become a full time midfielder this year. Losing Hannebery and Jack moving forward more means he will have a much bigger role in the middle.

Swans have Lloyd, Zak Jones, McVeigh as starters at half back and Reynolds and O’Riordan as development players...

There are so many good mid price options in defence. Williams, Newman, Witherdan, B.Smith and Roberton. It’s tuff to pick only one or two

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
What are everyone’s thoughts on Callum Mills? I really think he will become a full time midfielder this year. Losing Hannebery and Jack moving forward more means he will have a much bigger role in the middle.

Swans have Lloyd, Zak Jones, McVeigh as starters at half back and Reynolds and O’Riordan as development players...

There are so many good mid price options in defence. Williams, Newman, Witherdan, B.Smith and Roberton. It’s tuff to pick only one or two
He's D1 in my current iteration. Swans have options at half back and are more likely to need to push guys out to go forward. Not sure he's a massive scorer yet, but should be at least 95+.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015

My first picked defender

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Really like Mills as a footballer but not sure with SC, has only scored over 100 5 times in 51 games 106 his highest, I know he may play a completely different role now but that scoring scares me.

Reactions: Prospector

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm not sure his scoring is as awesome as people think. He has tonned up 4 times out of 31 games. His average dropped by 10 from 2017-2018 and he's 26 so I'm not sure where the improvement is going to come from. At his price you'd have to see him as a keeper. It's a big no from me

I'm not sold by any stretch, but the scoring improvement will come from being a best 18 player with a defined role, he's 26 yes, but he was a mature age rookie.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Where do i start?

1. Pricewise - Newman $394k, Smith 332k & Roberton 297k very risky and yuck prices. Perhaps too much cash spent in back 6 is my thoughts here if having 2. My setup has 3 Prem's then Newman at the 4 with rookies at 5 & 6.

2. Injury potential - Risky business. Although Newman doesn't have any prior history Roberton and Smith could potentially be disastrous given there recent history. Fingers crossed they don't suffer anymore season ending injuries.

But that's just my thoughts lads and can definitely see the temptation for me however just too risky for my setup anyhow.

My experience has been that the safest position to have a mid pricer is in defence. As good as Laird and Lloyd are I think they are max priced and I there's a good chance I can get them cheaper.

I agree that Smith is an injury risk as I have been burnt before but watching him the weekend swayed me to bring him into my team.

FYI I'm not a lad, I'm a lady ;)

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
My experience has been that the safest position to have a mid pricer is in defence. As good as Laird and Lloyd are I think they are max priced and I there's a good chance I can get them cheaper.

I agree that Smith is an injury risk as I have been burnt before but watching him the weekend swayed me to bring him into my team.

FYI I'm not a lad, I'm a lady ;)

Cool, all good I suppose everyone is different :). I just couldn't not have Laird and Lloyd who are set and forget types IMO and I currently have Lachie Whitfield as my D3. So I've gone cash heavy down back with Newman locked in @ D4.

Apologies for the "lad" comment :p.

arnot2mcbean

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 15, 2018
Strongly considering going in with either Lloyd or Laird at D1 and then Williams, Newman, Roberton.

All 3 could realistically be top ten defenders and I don't think there is a huge injury risk. Newman has no real injury history and Roberton now has his heart issue under control and was very reliable prior to it.

Only thing holding me back could be a lack of rookies in the forward line, if their doesn't look like being 3 solid FWD rookies then I might have to stretch it to 3 FWD premos + Daniher.

Shaker

Jan 25, 2018
I'm getting sucked into Newman, Smith & Roberton :eek::oops:
It's hard not to this year so many cheaper guys in the backs those 3 plus Williams and even McGrath and Moore if there was ever a year to take a risk this is it but gotta have at least 1 premo for me anyway

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
I assume everyone is in the same situation, and I see a lot of discussion here on Newman, Smith and Roberton. I'm stuck deciding with these guys and also add in Andy McGrath and Pearce Hanley at 296k. My lord do we have midprice options in the backline!

BingeThinker

Patron '17
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 14, 2016
Really like Mills as a footballer but not sure with SC, has only scored over 100 5 times in 51 games 106 his highest, I know he may play a completely different role now but that scoring scares me.

I agree.
I was toying with trying to save some cash and leave Heaney out and insert Mills hoping he would get more mid time (which he will just maybe not as much as we think). I understand they are on different lines but you get my drift in terms of available points and mid time.
I rate him however he just doesn't get enough of it yet to make him SC relevant.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Looks like being the best line for rookies, smart play is going 2 Premo and load up elsewhere.

My current setup is Whitfield, Crisp, Ridley, Scrimshaw, Clark, Duursma, Burgess, Hore

Reactions: Azza Jones

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
I know they are different lines but which pair has the better scoring potential.

Witherden & Toby Greene
vs
J. Lloyd & Darcy Moore