Midfielders

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
I won’t be starting Fyfe. Will get more attention since Neale left, has a poor injury & disciplinary record. You will have the chance to upgrade (or pick him up cheap) around the byes if he is doing well.
That is absolutely fair enough, but I just want you, and anyone who doesn't start Fyfe, to remember that he went 120, 160, 101, 151, 114, 142, 126, 101, 163, 78 & 154 between rounds 2-13 last year, at an average of 128.2. Also, I reckon it makes more sense to start an injury prone player rather than spend a trade getting him in, as it's only one trade spent on him if he goes down whilst in your team. On the flip side, he does have a bye in the first round of byes, which makes him a nice trade in target in that respect. It's just a matter of how much damage not having him (and his potential captain points) has done to your team in the meantime.

Freo start at home to North, then travel to the Gold Coast and host the Saints in round 3. Fyfe would be licking his lips at that early fixture I reckon.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
That is absolutely fair enough, but I just want you, and anyone who doesn't start Fyfe, to remember that he went 120, 160, 101, 151, 114, 142, 126, 101, 163, 78 & 154 between rounds 2-13 last year, at an average of 128.2. Also, I reckon it makes more sense to start an injury prone player rather than spend a trade getting him in, as it's only one trade spent on him if he goes down whilst in your team. On the flip side, he does have a bye in the first round of byes, which makes him a nice trade in target in that respect. It's just a matter of how much damage not having him (and his potential captain points) has done to your team in the meantime.

Freo start at home to North, then travel to the Gold Coast and host the Saints in round 3. Fyfe would be licking his lips at that early fixture I reckon.
Agree. Start the injury prone player, don't trade them in. Fyfe, if he's a trade in target, will be expensive rather than cheap.

Almost a case of start with him or forget he exists.

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018

I’m not saying he is a bad choice I agree he has the opportunity to go big, he is hot headed and always a risk of picking up a ban. I just think Macrae, Kelly and Cripps are better choices and I doubt many will have the budget for more than 3 of those
$600k + players...

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
@Azza Jones
As a Fyfe-lover I must take issue with you sir, regarding your statement that Fyfe "is hot-headed and always at risk of picking up a ban".
If those mean, nasty, unmentionable taggers would treat him with the respect he deserves there wouldn't be an issue.

fwiw Fyfe suspensions:
2013 - 2 matches for "kicking", upgraded from 1 match after challenge;
2014 - 2 matches for bump that ended up in accidental head clash; 2 matches for hitting J Lewis (deservedly)
2015 - charged with tripping but appealed and reduced to a fine
2018 - 1 match for striking Greenwood (deservedly)
To me, that is not the record of a hot-head. It is his injury history that I consider the risk.

also fwiw: in the Dockers' 2015 prelim final loss to the Hawks, Fyfe fractured the fibula in his left left in the 1st qtr. but still managed 81%TOG for 16CP, 9 clearances and 90SC.

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
@Azza Jones
As a Fyfe-lover I must take issue with you sir, regarding your statement that Fyfe "is hot-headed and always at risk of picking up a ban".
If those mean, nasty, unmentionable taggers would treat him with the respect he deserves there wouldn't be an issue.

Maybe your Fyfe love is clouding your judgement. All other players have to deal
with those nasty taggers.... Good luck for the season mate

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
@Azza Jones

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Maybe, but thanks.
All the best for you, too.

Reactions: Azza Jones

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015

I'm sorry but I'm with Rupert.
Not ALL other players have to deal with taggers. There are plenty of AFL players who have never had to deal with a tagger.
Your statement is nonsensical and I can't help but think your dislike for Fyfe is clouding your judgement.

All the best for 2019.

Reactions: doddy2731

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
This has been my most settled line thus far, Cripps & Oliver are locked away at M1 & M2, then comes Fyfe, Kelly & Neale, I've had a long hard look at Martin, Merrett & MCrouch & for around 50K less they just can't dislodge any of the aforementioned 3, Fyfe & Neale have at time dropped out for Jack Steele when I've been changing around other lines & needed that 100K difference.

I'm not a fan of picking mid-pricers in midfield unless there's some chance in my mind that they mind be keepers ala Coniglio last season, so Libba & Miles havn't spent much, if any time in my team, only really wild time was when Paul Ahern was sitting at at M5 didn't last long.

Reactions: keffa

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
This has been my most settled line thus far, Cripps & Oliver are locked away at M1 & M2, then comes Fyfe, Kelly & Neale, I've had a long hard look at Martin, Merrett & MCrouch & for around 50K less they just can't dislodge any of the aforementioned 3, Fyfe & Neale have at time dropped out for Jack Steele when I've been changing around other lines & needed that 100K difference.

I'm not a fan of picking mid-pricers in midfield unless there's some chance in my mind that they mind be keepers ala Coniglio last season, so Libba & Miles havn't spent much, if any time in my team, only really wild time was when Paul Ahern was sitting at at M5 didn't last long.
That's not a bad midfield ;)

Reactions: Tevez17

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
I'm sorry but I'm with Rupert.
Not ALL other players have to deal with taggers. There are plenty of AFL players who have never had to deal with a tagger.
Your statement is nonsensical and I can't help but think your dislike for Fyfe is clouding your judgement.

All the best for 2019.

I like Fyfe, I selected him last year. Prob one of the first picked as he was well priced coming off an injury the season previous season and represented great value. He scored well then got injured and suspended around the byes where I traded him out.

Most elite midfielders have had to deal with a tag at some stage. Coaches try and take away a teams best asset. Some players that are champions of the game like Selwood, Juddy, Pendles, Sam Mitchell, etc learn how deal with that and still have an influence. I feel Fyfe gets frustrated and is prone to lash out. His injury history is a concern. Like I said he is still a good pick but I am saying I would take Macrae, Cripps, Kelly, Clary before him.

Good luck to anyone who starts him...

Shane Medcalf

Aspiring Coach
Feb 19, 2017
Thoughts on macrae? Orginally i had him.and zerret but im uncertain about zerrets health so i decided to drop both and get in kelly and fyfe. Overall i think its more reliable and hopefully macrae drops in price

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Thoughts on macrae? Orginally i had him.and zerret but im uncertain about zerrets health so i decided to drop both and get in kelly and fyfe. Overall i think its more reliable and hopefully macrae drops in price

he could have a fantastic SC season & still drop 100k at some point.

Reactions: TomCat and keffa

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
There are 3 certainties in life: death, taxes and Macrae will drop cash.
So will Grundy and Gawn. But the trouble is that you could be dropping 50 to 75 points per week without all three in your side.
I think it depends if you are going for outright or leagues?

Reactions: Prospector

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Josh Kelly won't play JLT2, not on the injury report but GWS have form in being misleading with injuries.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
There are a bunch of guys that could really be difference makers that are not being talked about at all because they've had quiet preseasons. The 3 at the top of that list for me are the Zork, Bont and Selwood. Pendles not far behind.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
There are a bunch of guys that could really be difference makers that are not being talked about at all because they've had quiet preseasons. The 3 at the top of that list for me are the Zork, Bont and Selwood. Pendles not far behind.
Just on the Bont, the worry has to be that he’ll play forward for a lot of the time again this season. I hope I’m wrong.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
So I’m just going to say it...Rockliff? I know I know. But anyone who can score 170 SuperCoach points in a match, JLT or not, needs to be discussed. If he were 22 years on and on the way up, we’d all be picking him at his price as a breakout contender. But this is a guy who has seriously burned people these past couple of years. But it’s also a guy who has a nearly unmatched SC scoring history. I don’t know that I can pick him but someone had to start to discussion.

Aaaaaand discuss!!