Round 11 Discussion & Trade Talk

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
Gambled with the early pick of Rice last week. This week will be looking at one up and one down. Getting Smith and looking for POD - Robinson... till teams are announced of course!

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Smith looks obvious, but he has gone well in 2 floggings and is in a good team where there will always be pressure on his spot. But with his scores you have to take him, although it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't turn out to be the best rookie this week.

Rice has look good. Ridley looked ok, but I'll be picking Rice ahead of him. So double down with Smith/Rice looks like a good option.

But, we also have Walters at rock bottom this week. And there's Rocky, who I'm just going to have to bypass for now.

There also might be some options next week with Heron looking good and then we have the expensive guys (Austin and Roarke Smith) who also look like attractive options. So a double-down this week isn't essential.

I'm thinking Walters and Smith might be the way to go this week for me with Brayshaw and ZGL making way.

Is anyone else concerned about the lack of mid rookies coming through? I have Holman on the bench, but there's no mid rookies to trade to on the horizon. I only have Spargo left with DPP as well who will also be on my midfield bench after this week - all the other remaining rookies lack DPP. At this rate Holman might stay as my M9 until the end of the year because I have nowhere to go with him.

Bock Choy

May 17, 2018
I went double down last week (Crowden/Phillips and Murray/Ridley) so will probably look for upgrades this week. Need to cover for Mills in Defence while I also think the time is right for Kelly (maybe to Walters).

Very happy with the 102 from Richards, can keep him for a few weeks more with some cash generation.

Toadvine

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 15, 2018
Smith looks obvious, but he has gone well in 2 floggings and is in a good team where there will always be pressure on his spot. But with his scores you have to take him, although it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't turn out to be the best rookie this week.

Rice has look good. Ridley looked ok, but I'll be picking Rice ahead of him. So double down with Smith/Rice looks like a good option.

But, we also have Walters at rock bottom this week. And there's Rocky, who I'm just going to have to bypass for now.

There also might be some options next week with Heron looking good and then we have the expensive guys (Austin and Roarke Smith) who also look like attractive options. So a double-down this week isn't essential.

I'm thinking Walters and Smith might be the way to go this week for me with Brayshaw and ZGL making way.

Is anyone else concerned about the lack of mid rookies coming through? I have Holman on the bench, but there's no mid rookies to trade to on the horizon. I only have Spargo left with DPP as well who will also be on my midfield bench after this week - all the other remaining rookies lack DPP. At this rate Holman might stay as my M9 until the end of the year because I have nowhere to go with him.

I agree in the lack of mid rookies. I hoped Ahern MID/FWD would be in the mix around this time but I watched him in the VFL on the weekend and he looked nowhere near it.

Reactions: Lowrider

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
Dylan Clarke from Essendon has DPP. But would not touch him if he is played out of position. He is a inside mid, not a forward pocket! But...I can't see whose spot he may take.

Reactions: Lowrider

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I agree in the lack of mid rookies. I hoped Ahern MID/FWD would be in the mix around this time but I watched him in the VFL on the weekend and he looked nowhere near it.
Ahern probably needs a bit more time.

Clarke was the other big hope, but doubtful the Bombers will risk putting him in the midfield until he improves his kicking efficiency

Freeman was looking great until until he did his shoulder so now he's a month away.

It might reach the stage where I might need to just jump on one as soon as they're named if I need the cash. Or even before they get named. But, hopefully one does bob up for us.

Reactions: Toadvine

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
Due to the backline carnage last week I had to shelve my plan on upgrading Sauce Jacobs and he repaid my faith with a massive 42 points and dropped another $40k this week down to $340k... Having dropped a massive $180k from the start of the year!!!

His price has made it hard for me to upgrade. I am strongly looking at Witts or Ryder considering I need a player to player through the byes which will help me make up the difference on grundy...

I was leaning on Ryder but after reading the story about his ongoing management of his achillies problem. Witts has a 96 average and has played most of the key ruckman so far... thoughts on Ryder/Witts?

Flying Scotsman

Aspiring Coach
Aug 10, 2017
Due to the backline carnage last week I had to shelve my plan on upgrading Sauce Jacobs and he repaid my faith with a massive 42 points and dropped another $40k this week down to $340k... Having dropped a massive $180k from the start of the year!!!

His price has made it hard for me to upgrade. I am strongly looking at Witts or Ryder considering I need a player to player through the byes which will help me make up the difference on grundy...

I was leaning on Ryder but after reading the story about his ongoing management of his achillies problem. Witts has a 96 average and has played most of the key ruckman so far... thoughts on Ryder/Witts?
Who's your R3? I'd almost look at upgrading them and keeping Jacobs as backup at that price. Then at least if Ryder goes down you have him. I think if you can manage it, an extra downgrade trade burnt to get grundy is worth a look. Over 30 pints better. I have Gawn and Nic Nat and after my mids are done i will upgrade Nic Nat. Makes a huge difference in the end. Hopefully you have English or Big O on the bench.

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
Who's your R3? I'd almost look at upgrading them and keeping Jacobs as backup at that price. Then at least if Ryder goes down you have him. I think if you can manage it, an extra downgrade trade burnt to get grundy is worth a look. Over 30 pints better. I have Gawn and Nic Nat and after my mids are done i will upgrade Nic Nat. Makes a huge difference in the end. Hopefully you have English or Big O on the bench.

Nah unfortunately no ruck cover on the bench. I have Darcy Cameron from the Swans who at the start of the year was supposed to get a game but doesn't look likely....also unfortunately have to downgrade one this week to get the money to upgrade Jacobs. So as good as both those suggestions are they won't work for me...

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Nothing to do with footy but I thought that one particular sporting achievement by an Aussie should be acknowledged.
Adam Hansen has brought his streak of 20 grand tours (cycling) to an end with the finish of the Giro. He started with the 2011 Vuelta and has ridden in, and completed, every grand tour - Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and Vuelta a Espana - since then.
It's an amazing effort: roughly 75,000 km over 420 racing days at speeds averaging 40+ km/hr. 63 racing days each year.
Only 34 riders have started and finished 3 grand tours in the same year. Hansen has done it 6 times - in consecutive years. M Lejarreta did it 4 times - but only 3 times in consecutive years. B Ruiz did it 3 times - but over a 6 year span.
If you are not a fan of pro-cycling you should at least be aware of the effort it takes just to ride in, and complete, one grand tour. To complete 20 consecutive tours is incredible.
Yes, he's a bit of a hero of mine.

In addition to riding, Hansen designs his own riding shoes and writes the software that his racing team uses for their logistics.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015

It really sucks. I think you just have to hold and pray for one of several things:
- He comes good
- A ruckman gets a long-term injury and their replacement is a decent option (e.g. Ceglar if McEvoy goes down)

The other option is to punt on Goldy who's not that far away.

I think spending $200k+ to go to a decent option is not something I'd do now. Maybe after you've upgraded everywhere else look at it again. Maybe take a punt on some cheaper options elsewhere (e.g. Rockliff) to try and regain that cash.

Reactions: Azza Jones

Flying Scotsman

Aspiring Coach
Aug 10, 2017

Looking at Jacobs history he has a tendsncy to score 90 or less 7 - 9 times a year and still average over 90 for the year. He clearly had 3 horrible games but history says he will knock out some decent points. I agree with Lowrider. Ride it out. At the very least fix the rest of your team first. Chances are he's not dropping much further. I'd bet he will go up 100k at some point soon. Don't sell low. Fix other rookies on field first. Sucks but i think that's where it's at i personally don't trust Rider that much. Very inconsistent. Rather burn one extra trade and get Grundy for finals. Good luck mate.

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015

I like the look of Smith but trading him in does mean I'd have 6x Melb players in my team. Gawn, Oliver & Petracca - keepers. Fritsch, Spargo & Smith eventual trade outs (Fritsch out first as his price is nearly at peak).

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Looking at the KISS method this week by going with probably the 2 most popular trades this week.

ZGL>Smith
T.Kelly> Walters

Smith probably a must have to gain some quick cash pre-byes and Walters looks good to be a top 6 fwd and is absolute rock bottom price! Gives me $358k to launch into the byes with!

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
Looking at Jacobs history he has a tendsncy to score 90 or less 7 - 9 times a year and still average over 90 for the year. He clearly had 3 horrible games but history says he will knock out some decent points. I agree with Lowrider. Ride it out. At the very least fix the rest of your team first. Chances are he's not dropping much further. I'd bet he will go up 100k at some point soon. Don't sell low. Fix other rookies on field first. Sucks but i think that's where it's at i personally don't trust Rider that much. Very inconsistent. Rather burn one extra trade and get Grundy for finals. Good luck mate.

Thanks for the responses guys. His Break even is 119 this week and he is projected to drop another $30k this week... He is losing me approx 25-50 points a week at the moment and hasn't hit a decent since round 3... Really hard to hold at the moment. I am strongly considering Witts as I agree you can trust Ryder on the injury front...

Peter

Mar 10, 2016
Looking at the KISS method this week by going with probably the 2 most popular trades this week.

ZGL>Smith
T.Kelly> Walters

Smith probably a must have to gain some quick cash pre-byes and Walters looks good to be a top 6 fwd and is absolute rock bottom price! Gives me $358k to launch into the byes with!

Did you hack my account? That's what I want to do down to the $ in the bank.

Reactions: Haychh and Tandy

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
As much as I want Tim Smith, I can't help but want a bit more security down back. With Keefe, Murphy and Duman not steady ins, I'm looking more at Logan Austin (With Nathan Brown out) and Bailey Rice. Can't seem to split those two. Austin is older is KPP and also more expensive, Rice's ceiling doesnt seem high, but he plays a running role?