Trades before Round 5

Shaker

Jan 25, 2018
I grabbed Grundy last week mainly because of his scores but have not had to trade rookies in that I missed this year so grabbed the chance , this week looking like getting Coffield but lets see what happens when teams are out.

Yort

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 3, 2018
Need advice guys. Got kelly but wumith the news beibg so bad thinking of trading out for cogs or soneone round that price..also started with coffield but traded out early on to chase cash. Should i burn another trade to bring him back or just let him go and move on and try to move goldy on instead he is just stinking it up. Thx

BingeThinker

Patron '17
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 14, 2016
If underperforming premo's are POD's every week in your leagues and are losing you matches then that could be reason to side swap and cut your losses, I rode Shaw out for all of last year and it killed me, wish I traded him earlier when the signs were there. We do have 30 trades so a few side swaps is ok if you still have plenty in reserve for full premo status and some spares for injuries come finals time. Finishing top 4 in leagues is crucial as well that extra chance can be so handy. Just food for thought :)

I did own Goldy and Billings.
Goldy went last week to Grundy and Billings is gone this week to R.Gray.
It is not just about upgrading to full premo status IMO, it is about the value you get for upgrading premos along the way.
Goldy to Grundy last week was about a deal that made sense and provided value in that particular week. This week that same trade costs $65K more so any value is gone. Assuming Goldy continues at his current pace he cannot be considered a premo so that position still needs an upgrade.
Billings to R.Gray is going to be roughly $40K more next week so there is still value there this week,especially given Saints terrible draw over next 6 weeks.
Yes, it is a more aggressive strategy and I may end up short on trades later in the year however it does have me ranked 1050 and at least for now pushing for a top 100 finish. Long way still to go of course!
Just providing the alternative view.

Fisker FC

Patron '18
Apr 21, 2017
Keeping Bonner and giving Coffield a miss to bring in 2 premiums. So many rookies named this week and will be more available soon.

Kelly > Oliver
Billings > Sidebottom (via Garlett) or Gray/Heeney

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
It is not just about upgrading to full premo status IMO, it is about the value you get for upgrading premos along the way.
Goldy to Grundy last week was about a deal that made sense and provided value in that particular week. This week that same trade costs $65K more so any value is gone. Assuming Goldy continues at his current pace he cannot be considered a premo so that position still needs an upgrade.
Billings to R.Gray is going to be roughly $40K more next week so there is still value there this week,especially given Saints terrible draw over next 6 weeks.
Yes, it is a more aggressive strategy and I may end up short on trades later in the year however it does have me ranked 1050 and at least for now pushing for a top 100 finish. Long way still to go of course!
Very true and a good example I am of the similar belief. So many people play it so safe and wait till finals, no good doing that if you're team is no good cos you won't win anything!

Reactions: Prospector

Brky

Aspiring Coach
Jun 12, 2015
R.Gray certainly looks the goods, will be bringing him in this week along with Coffield just a matter of for who, have the dpp to swing either Billings or Bonner along with Brayshaw.

I think the strength of rookies in the backline has me leaning towards Bonner out as it would mean two of coffield/murray/naughton/doedee on field and billings being my lowest ave on field fwd, as opposed to trading out billings and having to play a fritsch/henry type at f6

Centroprise

Development Coach
Feb 21, 2018
Great work Binge on the start to the year.

There is more that one way to play and that's why we love this game.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Going to pass on Coffield at the elevated price. He looks like he's a 70 average which will only make $150k at best. To warrant the trade for me he'd need to average 80+ and make $200k+. Would have been a different story if he played round 1 or looked like scoring bigger, but using the 2 trades on him (in and then out) I can't justify at the moment.

Shane Medcalf

Aspiring Coach
Feb 19, 2017
Think im locking in billings to gray to much value and i cant see saints going well in the next 6weeks.
Thinking ill pass on coffield it seems like the same brayshaw trap expensive rookie started well and saints draw is hard think ill wait for mirra anyone else thinking the same?

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Think im locking in billings to gray to much value and i cant see saints going well in the next 6weeks.
Thinking ill pass on coffield it seems like the same brayshaw trap expensive rookie started well and saints draw is hard think ill wait for mirra anyone else thinking the same?
Yep, But also waiting for Mirra because I have no rookies anywhere near worth trading. All still have cash to make.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
Need advice guys. Got kelly but wumith the news beibg so bad thinking of trading out for cogs or soneone round that price..also started with coffield but traded out early on to chase cash. Should i burn another trade to bring him back or just let him go and move on and try to move goldy on instead he is just stinking it up. Thx

I am going to pass on Coffield. It looks like there are rookies on the bubble next week, just as good but a lot cheaper

Toadvine

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 15, 2018
robbie gray is very injury prone, I wouldn't be jumping on him without some serious thinking.

Robbie's last few seasons
2014 - 22 games
2015 - 21 games
2016 -19 games
2017 - 22 games

Toby Greene is a bigger risk with his suspension/injury history.

Bozman

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 7, 2016
My team is currently:

DEF: Laird, Yeo, J.Lloyd, Finlayson, Doedee, Murray (Naughton, Richards)
MID: Tich, Dusty, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, O'Meara, T.Kelly, Holman (Banfield, Crowdon, Barry)
RUCK: Gawn, Nic Nat (English)
FWD: Heeney, T.Greene, Billings, Petracca, Christensen, Fritsch (L.Ryan, Giles-Langdon)

Cash $228.2K

This week, looking to move on Ryan, and I'm a little concerned Nic Nat has no where to go from here but down, given TOG is limited. His BE of 81 is not too far off his 100 avg. So I'm thinking;

Ryan > Coffield (via Crowdon DPP)
NicNat > Grundy

Will still leave $122K in the bank, so only costs ~$100k which seems cheap to lock-in my rucks for the season.

Thoughts?

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
2nd most traded in player this week - Parfitt :eek:
2014 - 22 games
2015 - 21 games
2016 -19 games
2017 - 22 games

Robbie was clearly injured most of last year, starting in the preseason. He was in the forward line because he couldn't sprint. He moved much more freely towards the end of the year and this year he's looks completely unhindered and is back in the midfield.

Don't let 2017 stop anyone from picking him, I would be this week if I had the opportunity. In fact, I'm annoyed I didn't start with him to be honest. Fair chance he's the top forward for 2018.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Got about 150k in the bank and I’m thinking of using it to move Nank on and bring Grundy in. Nank has Gawn,Grundy,Sandi, Nic Nat & Goldy next 5 weeks and I’m worried Dimma will give Soldo a run pretty soon to give Nank a chop out. He’s gone ok big Nank but won’t be a top 5 ruck IMO. A bit sideways but i want the best ruck combo, thoughts?

Yort

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 3, 2018
Got about 150k in the bank and I’m thinking of using it to move Nank on and bring Grundy in. Nank has Gawn,Grundy,Sandi, Nic Nat & Goldy next 5 weeks and I’m worried Dimma will give Soldo a run pretty soon to give Nank a chop out. He’s gone ok big Nank but won’t be a top 5 ruck IMO. A bit sideways but i want the best ruck combo, thoughts?
Im brimging in grundy fir goldy myself. Its a good trade and reckon grundy still has a few big scores to come. Got bellchambers this week so should go well

Reactions: luke394

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
2014 - 22 games
2015 - 21 games
2016 -19 games
2017 - 22 games

wow, surprised by that. i was sure he missed quite a few games with leg injuries? Maybe I dreamed that!

Reactions: Toadvine

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
need to be careful with sideways trades. Just think, if you have 10 rookies on field you need to upgrade, that's 20 trades. Add 4 for finals, that's 24. Not much room left for sideways trades + random injuries!