2018 Defence Premiums

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Running 2 Def premos at the moment, Laird & Hibbard, McGovern does interest me though, the ball is going to be that backline A LOT this season.

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
I'm torn on whether to have a more expensive rookie that's been in the system for a couple of years like Bonner or Byrne @ D3 or just go for 4 rookies under 200k onfield.

A lot will depend on whether L.Murphy is selected for the Crows in round 1.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
The more I analyse things, the more confident I am running a 2 premo & 4 onfield rookie setup, given the depth of rookies likely to be available round 1. Frees up cash to have a Bundy @ F5 and a Cripps or Cogs @M6.

Whose running this setup in DEF?
Im running 2 premo's the Bonner at D3 so a pretty similar set up, the rookies are definitely in defence this year!

BingeThinker

Patron '17
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 14, 2016
Running 2 Def premos at the moment, Laird & Hibbard, McGovern does interest me though, the ball is going to be that backline A LOT this season.
For exactly the same reasons I am seriously considering Liam Duggan as D3.
4th year in system, upgraded to leadership group, more midfield time split between half back, has to result in an increase on a 60 odd average.
Doesn't seem any riskier than many of the premium defense options and at D3 I like the modest point scoring bonus he will likely get compared to a rookie.
I don't necessarily buy in to the awkward price point as it ultimately depends on value and team balance.
Thoughts?

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
No talk on Mills have I missed something?

Love him as a player but just hasn't shown any consistencies with his scoring for me to consider him as SC relevant as of yet (Had him in a draft league last season and his scoring was up and down). Has huge upside but I've gone with Sicily over him due to his form late last year and his confirmed role and performance in the JLT series. Wouldn't be surprised if Mills became relevant later this season though as pickings are slim.

Paul Valenti

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2018
Im running 3 premo Def + Byrne and 2 rookies. Also have Christensen at F5 with 1 rook. Should I downgrade Byrne to a rook and Christensen to a Rook (rioli, waterman, fogarty) and Upgrade Arma/omeara (havent deceided which one I want) to a Conig?

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Want to throw Shane Biggs out there, at the moment fighting Savage for D3 in my side, no Boyd, Murphy, JJ often tagged out and moved up the ground he looks to be our main man from half back this year. Out of Williams, Crozier and Biggs, Biggs is definitely the biggest ball magnet, and has the most experience. Has averaged well in patches before, only played 1 JLT (28 touches, 90 SC), withdrawn from 2nd due to back spasms

probably 20% chance to start in my side

Reactions: PickenWinners

kinggo

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 27, 2015
Want to throw Shane Biggs out there, at the moment fighting Savage for D3 in my side, no Boyd, Murphy, JJ often tagged out and moved up the ground he looks to be our main man from half back this year. Out of Williams, Crozier and Biggs, Biggs is definitely the biggest ball magnet, and has the most experience. Has averaged well in patches before, only played 1 JLT (28 touches, 90 SC), withdrawn from 2nd due to back spasms

What's your projected average for him? I'm not sure he'll go 85+. There's a loss of about 25 points by switching to a rookie. Could you use the $310k saved by going down to a rookie, elsewhere in your team to boost a projected average by 30 or more.
I guess if you can then dropping Biggs becomes an option.
If you see him averaging better than 85 then he may be worth the punt but I feel you're getting stuck with a sub par premium who's not in the top 10 defenders.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
What's your projected average for him? I'm not sure he'll go 85+. There's a loss of about 25 points by switching to a rookie. Could you use the $310k saved by going down to a rookie, elsewhere in your team to boost a projected average by 30 or more.
I guess if you can then dropping Biggs becomes an option.
If you see him averaging better than 85 then he may be worth the punt but I feel you're getting stuck with a sub par premium who's not in the top 10 defenders.

I think he's probably got about 10 point improvement in him this year, which would be an ok pick but not a great one.... I see him scoring consistently, doesn't have a high ceiling because he doesn't get contested touches and his disposal efficiency isn't as good as say Roberton or Shaw

Don't think I'll go with him, that 20% chance probably gone to about 5% now ;)

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
Was initially going to run with the 2 premo + 6 rookies setup in DEF with Bonner@D3 but that was on the basis of Coffield or O'Shea playing. O'Shea not selected and Coffield might possibly miss too, think I might have to revert back to the 3 premo + 5 rookie option now

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane

You know Biggs was dropped from the side last year due to poor form?
Maybe just the hangover but I'd be a little wary.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Was initially going to run with the 2 premo + 6 rookies setup in DEF with Bonner@D3 but that was on the basis of Coffield or O'Shea playing. O'Shea not selected and Coffield might possibly miss too, think I might have to revert back to the 3 premo + 5 rookie option now
Got 60k to go Corey Ellis? or you could go to Cole

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
Got 60k to go Corey Ellis? or you could go to Cole

I'm not sold on the job security of either tbh. Byrne is the other one that comes to mind but something doesn't sit right with me forking out the money for 2 rookies above the $200k price tag.

I've decided to go Sicily@D3 and Bonner@D4 which means I'll be fielding Brayshaw, Brodie & Kelly in the MID.