2018 Rookies

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm heavy in defence with rookies at the moment, but only a couple are locks, looks more &more like I'll have to drop a Coniglio to fit in Brayshaw or Brodie.

Bailey Williams, Bryrne & Z Guthrie all big watches over their next games.

Reactions: Steve

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
I think due to the lack of Ruck/Fwd cover this year, it makes sense to have genuine Ruck cover if it's available. Otherwise it's a donut every time one of our Rucks miss a game with General Soreness. It was much easier to have a non-playing loophole as R3 last year cos we all had Nank or Ryder in our Fwd Lines as a backup that could be swung in to the Ruck if needed.
Plus, I do think h
If your picking genuine Rucks (that is solo ruck for the team) you wont have the issue of a Ruck missing through general soreness.
It's the teams that run with several ruck options that will rest players.

I agree with you but I was using General Soreness in a more generic sense. Ruckman will miss games. Very few Ruckmen play 22 games in a season and I'd be surprised if this year was any different. All I'm saying is, having a genuine Rookie priced option as cover is preferable to a loophole donut. Your Round 1 team will all be playing but loophole options always present themselves throughout the year.

Reactions: doddy2731

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm heavy in defence with rookies at the moment, but only a couple are locks, looks more &more like I'll have to drop a Coniglio to fit in Brayshaw or Brodie.

Bailey Williams, Bryrne & Z Guthrie all big watches over their next games.
Same. I don't have Coniglio but I would have to either drop Cripps from M5 or my 400k F4 or D4 to find the cash for the higher priced rookies. Would rather splash out for decent JS than go cheap and have 117k kids sitting on the bench doing nothing after playing the first week or two.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Same. I don't have Coniglio but I would have to either drop Cripps from M5 or my 400k F4 or D4 to find the cash for the higher priced rookies. Would rather splash out for decent JS than go cheap and have 117k kids sitting on the bench doing nothing after playing the first week or two.
I've been playing 5+Cogs in the midfield all preseason. Just downgraded to 4+Cogs and everything feels much better. Too many good rookie midfielders to not go with 3 on field.

The pricier ones I have are Brayshaw, Dow and Naughton.

Reactions: cactus

PickenWinners

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 25, 2018
Hi Darcy Fogarty. Welcome to my forward line.
Worried about his JS though Lowrider? He looked good on the weekend but no Walker..
They reckon he can play back as well though so could swing into a Otten style role from last year.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Worried about his JS though Lowrider? He looked good on the weekend but no Walker..
They reckon he can play back as well though so could swing into a Otten style role from last year.
Heard a strong rumour regarding Tex and that pesky plantar fascia...would explain a lot.

lenny

Development Coach
Jun 21, 2015
What are peoples thoughts on Andrew Brayshaw, knocked out a couple of good scores. Im pretty sure Ross has said he will play round 1. His only downside seems to be his price, 198k

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
What are peoples thoughts on Andrew Brayshaw, knocked out a couple of good scores. Im pretty sure Ross has said he will play round 1. His only downside seems to be his price, 198k
I have one thought: lock.

Showed the most through the JLT of all the rookies. Always gotta pick those rookies IMO.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
He's my #1 high priced rookie. I've got him above Dow, Rayner and Brodie. Should get plenty of opportunity in that midfield too.

Reactions: Prospector

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
It's looking more and more like stacking the defence with rookies is the approach for many. Any thoughts on what the potential downgrade options will be for us though? Talk of going in with up to 6 rookies in defence, worried we won't get the downgrade targets to make us of them...

churchboybrian

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 14, 2015
Yeah i'm sorta with you on that lowrider, last season caught me out as i had too many rookies on field compared to the amount that actually played round 1. i've currently got naughton, doedee, finlayson, murray and stoddart in def, but not super confident all of them will be named round 1. if i add anymore the risk just increases that I'll be left at panic stations trying to restructure my whole team in the last hour

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
At the moment I have Coffield, Naughton, O'Shea, Doedee, Finlayson, Murray and Mihocek (7 but won't start them all). All look like legitimate selections and good cash cows, and there's potentially others also. Only Coffield and Finlayson have DPP which also needs to be taken into consideration.

churchboybrian

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 14, 2015
At the moment I have Coffield, Naughton, O'Shea, Doedee, Finlayson, Murray and Mihocek (7 but won't start them all). All look like legitimate selections and good cash cows, and there's potentially others also. Only Coffield and Finlayson have DPP which also needs to be taken into consideration.
So how many are you going to start in DEF? for me i think 5 is as far as i can push it without upsetting the balance. possibly I'll pick a mid-pricer as my POD (or maybe one more rookie which scares me) then 2 x top shelf.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
So how many are you going to start in DEF? for me i think 5 is as far as i can push it without upsetting the balance. possibly I'll pick a mid-pricer as my POD (or maybe one more rookie which scares me) then 2 x top shelf.
Depends a little bit on the forward line and what rookies we have there. If we get enough to run with 4 there I might only go with 5 in defence. At this stage it's rookies starting D4, M8 and F5, but that's not how it will be at first bounce. I might have push it out to F6 potentially, even F7 if things turn to shiz.

I think my approach will be to clear my team after teams are named, pick my rucks, put in the best rookies and then fill the premium spots from there with whatever is left over.

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
Thoughts on Ben Jacobs from Nth? Can they still afford to run him as pure tagger in'18 or will he open up and thus his scoring? 200K option

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I'm currently running 2-0-6 in the backline. Take out O'shea and Michocek from your list and add Lachie Murphy and that's what I've got. It's also the best I've felt about my team all preseason.

I'm not too keen on Mihocek. I don't think he'll generate much cash and I'm not too sure about his job security. Same with O'shea but Lachie Murphy will go up to O'shea if he's named and Murphy isn't.

Reactions: Prospector