2018 Midfield Premiums

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018
Stating the obvious here but the midfield is the only line where there are so many super-premos that going for a cheaper line of premos (110 av) leaves you vulnerable to missing out on the 115-120+ super premos. And you need every single one of the super premos if you want a chance at winning it all.

^My man. If you are missing out on 5 points per week per "premo" that you are missing you can't catch up for the price of the trade and you have to chase huge risks elsewhere

Of your premo mids how many do you see as top 10 keepers?? I'm at 4-5 depending on cripps but he presents great value simultaneously. The last 5 spots in my mids are for the top 5 guys if i don't own them. ;)

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
^My man. If you are missing out on 5 points per week per "premo" that you are missing you can't catch up for the price of the trade and you have to chase huge risks elsewhere

Of your premo mids how many do you see as top 10 keepers?? I'm at 4-5 depending on cripps but he presents great value simultaneously. The last 5 spots in my mids are for the top 5 guys if i don't own them. ;)
Cripps presents solid value, there are also a bunch of guys around the same price who you could argue for. I've opted for Coniglio because I don't think there's $100k between what they will output.

I'm batting fairly deep with 5 other premiums in the mids (the man in my avatar was one, and may work his way back into my team - but I'm having a bloody hard time saying no to his replacement M. Crouch.)

If you're picking Cripps I think you have to be betting on him being a top 8 mid in the same way I'm betting on Beams. $550k for someone you think could be a M9 isn't good. Really just need 2 mid price options in the other lines to raise their hand and I can be sure I'll have enough money to go with 5 $550k+ mids.

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018
Cripps presents solid value, there are also a bunch of guys around the same price who you could argue for. I've opted for Coniglio because I don't think there's $100k between what they will output.

I'm batting fairly deep with 5 other premiums in the mids (the man in my avatar was one, and may work his way back into my team - but I'm having a bloody hard time saying no to his replacement M. Crouch.)

If you're picking Cripps I think you have to be betting on him being a top 8 mid in the same way I'm betting on Beams. $550k for someone you think could be a M9 isn't good. Really just need 2 mid price options in the other lines to raise their hand and I can be sure I'll have enough money to go with 5 $550k+ mids.

I'm saying he could be top 10 or top 8 or top 6 I just think that's a distinct possibility as he's un-taggable and he's going to have to carry Carlton this year. If I have the trades later he goes but honestly just fiddling with my team I put danger and dusty in on top of titch kelly oliver and fyfe. I don't see any of those guys dropping off and soon to be joined by crouch no.1!

XD

ArmaliteMK

Feb 27, 2018

Well if he does that week to weak I'll have to eat my hat ;) JLT2 and in if he's doing the same.

Cassat

Patron '18
Patron '19
Feb 27, 2016
Fremantle
Danger, Dusty and Fyfe are all locks for me. The upside with these 3 guys means any one of them could be the number 1 player by seasons end.

I think Danger is a slight risk now that Gaz is back. There is certainly a chance that Gaz and Joel will basically get the old band back together and leave Danger out in the cold, but I think he is too good for that to really happen (plus who knows how many games Gaz will actually play)O.

Swans mids are tempting, mainly Parker and JPK, but history shows that they spread it around to much there to have eny confidence you are picking the right one. Parker, JPK, Hanners will all be solid but wont have uber upside.

My 4th premo has been changing all summer between Mitchell, Zorko and the Bont. In particular I think the Bont or Mitchell could have breakout years. Mitchell is a ball magnet and Bont has a bit of Fyfe in him.

Rest of my midfield are cash cows (I hope)

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Mids 8:3:18.png
Danger, Dusty and Fyfe are all locks for me. The upside with these 3 guys means any one of them could be the number 1 player by seasons end.

I think Danger is a slight risk now that Gaz is back. There is certainly a chance that Gaz and Joel will basically get the old band back together and leave Danger out in the cold, but I think he is too good for that to really happen (plus who knows how many games Gaz will actually play)O.

Swans mids are tempting, mainly Parker and JPK, but history shows that they spread it around to much there to have eny confidence you are picking the right one. Parker, JPK, Hanners will all be solid but wont have uber upside.

My 4th premo has been changing all summer between Mitchell, Zorko and the Bont. In particular I think the Bont or Mitchell could have breakout years. Mitchell is a ball magnet and Bont has a bit of Fyfe in him.

Rest of my midfield are cash cows (I hope)
I have run the same structure most of the pre season but the lack of rookies in fwd and def are making me re think where I'm going to be able to generate cash. Currently running with this set up and going a bit deeper in the fwds and backs. Changes every day but seems like the rookie cash generation is going to come from the mids.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Danger unlikely for round 1 with a hammy. Makes things interesting.

I actually haven't had him all season and been toying with the idea of taking him on. Everyone talking about a must-have due to captaincy scores wasn't convincing me. I'm confident Gawn/Dusty will score just as well. I've also been put off by talk of Danger playing a lot forward, I don't believe he'll score quite as well doing that.

Guess the decision is easy now!!

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
Would anyone else consider switching Danger with a premium mid (Merrett, Titch, Selwood etc.) and banking the money saved and then using a trade to get Danger in as soon as he is back. I mean, having Danger and seeing everyone else struggling to find money to get him in would be a MASSIVE pod whole it lasts!

arnot2mcbean

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 15, 2018
If Danger misses round one it'll be fantastic for supercoach, opens the game up so much.

People playing for leagues will be happy to start him but if you're going for overall can you afford that much coin sitting on your bench for 1-2 weeks without being left behind?

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Makes the case for starting Gaz easier. Seems like the obvious guy to switch to Danger if he gets injured.

Starting Danger would be big risk. Lots of money on bench for 1 (or more) weeks. Also no guarantee he starts well. Returning from a hammy and some back issues over the off-season, they might just decide to stick him in the forward 50 for the first month. Then he drops and everyone jumps on at $150k less. Only needs one or two sub-100 games early to see his price plummet.

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
What's everyones strategy for Danger if:
Named round 1 (could be a late out, eek)
Missing 1 week (will he come back 100%, will he score 130+ with no decline?)
Missing 2+ weeks (when/how do we get him back in? How many weeks does he need to play before we decide?)

tough decisions!

Reactions: tiltraise

arnot2mcbean

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 15, 2018
What's everyones strategy for Danger if:
Named round 1 (could be a late out, eek)
Missing 1 week (will he come back 100%, will he score 130+ with no decline?)
Missing 2+ weeks (when/how do we get him back in? How many weeks does he need to play before we decide?)

tough decisions!
I'm considering starting someone like O'Meara or Libba and leaving enough money in the kitty to trade Danger in when he's back.

Could completely backfire if I have other injuries to deal with but it's the best I can come up with at the moment, either that or just starting someone like Neale or Merrett instead and letting it fly.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
I'm considering starting someone like O'Meara or Libba and leaving enough money in the kitty to trade Danger in when he's back.

Could completely backfire if I have other injuries to deal with but it's the best I can come up with at the moment, either that or just starting someone like Neale or Merrett instead and letting it fly.
I reckon if I was committed with Danger I would still have him week 1 if he misses and play a rookie. Yes you lose points for week 1 but save the trade. A lot of people won't start him if he misses week 1 so becomes a nice POD

Reactions: tiltraise

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Nice POD, but a risk the injury could become 2 weeks or maybe 3.
Yeah absolutely, you'd think being the start of the season they will make sure he's 100% right before he plays again. I haven't had him majority of the pre season but was always nervous :confused:

Reactions: Prospector

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Love a bit of SC maths.

Every round Danger misses and you field a rookie rather than a premium mid: ~50-70ppg

The additional funds you free up switching Danger to another mid = roughly $150k = 10-15ppg.

Which means in total every week Danger misses is around 70-90 ppg.

Assuming he misses 1 week, and let's assume the earliest people will have the cash to upgrade to him is in about 6 weeks. Danger has 5 rounds to make up 80ish points. Saying he's 10ppg better than the field = 50 points. Then say he's probably going to be a 10ppg better captain option = another 50 points. If that's the case he's made the points from week one.

There are plenty of variables at play here, particularly if misses more than one week. Will he still score as well coming back from an injury he's never had? He's played well injured before.

Keep in mind we will get to see most of the mid rookie scores because of the late Geelong game. If you have an E on a base price rookie mid who scores 90, then I think you have to start Danger. At most you're probably losing 50 points which Danger should cover comfortably. Even if he misses 2 weeks Danger is probably odds on to cover the 100ish points.

I'm sure there's some flawed logic in there but I'm leaning towards starting Danger if it looks like he'll only miss a week. Too much of a headache trying to find a way to get him in.