Season Review

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Season Review 1.jpg

Started with the goal of a top 1% finish after finishing 16,849 in 2015 & 13,717 in 2016 so somewhat ambitious with my history so obviously very happy with how I ended up & excited as there are some very obvious things I can improve on in the future.

Season Highlights: Winning SCC Earlybirds League (35 overall) Round 6 score 2337 (670 overall) & Round 20 score 2543 (776 overall).

Season Low-lights: 4/5 lost preliminary finals, Round 3 score 2064 (76,664 overall) Round 17 2132 (72,685 overall)

Best Starting POD: Matt Crouch 110.6 average at 504K starting price. Bumpy start with 3 scores over 100, 6 scores under & 3 in the 70 but from R10 on wards only one score under 100 & 8 over 123.

Worst Starting POD: Josh Caddy just simply a stupid last minute decision to go with & compounded by it being a decision to go with Caddy over Macrae.

Best Tactical Moves: Witts/Sandi & Nank, quick trades Caddy to Yeo & Higgins to Heeney, replacing Selwood with Buddy (164, 98, 183) instead of a mid at 440K.

Worst Tactical Moves: Rockliff in, out, in & out. Steele to T Lynch to cover byes.

Lessons learnt: Starting with a deep midfield just doesn't give you options if you get it wrong (Hanners, Treloar) & by extension the more mids you start the more likely you are to have one or more who do fail at a high price. Don't be afraid to be cookie cutter at the start and back my trades in.
Use trades smartly not frugally.

Big thanks to the SCC podcast and Community, the boys on the POD do a great job to quell my desire to do crazy trades.

Attachments

• Season Review 1.jpg
    Season Review 1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
Diggin' the lessons learnt part. I had Treloar and Hanners and moved Hanners on for Bont I think. And also got in Heppell. Blew up in my face big time. Also started Danger, Pendles.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Season Highlights: Being part of the Patreon league that finished 2nd. Unfortunately I was in the bottom half so can't take a lot of credit for the success, but nice to be part of such a successful league

Season Low-lights: Some stupid mistakes along the way - Heeney traded in but left at F8 while Parsons was on field. Loopholing a couple of times to gain a small advantage but being left short with a late Sunday out.

Best Starting POD: Jelwood probably here. Was a pretty good starting pick.

Worst Starting POD: Going for a speculative punt on Marley Williams. Not a complete disaster as he held his value, but didn't provide the push I was looking.

Best Tactical Moves: Witts/Sandi/Ryder/Nank as a starting group. Provided lots of flexibility. Witts was the pick of the season in my book.

Worst Tactical Moves: Too many mid-pricers in the starting squad.

Lessons learnt: No matter how much people say "there's no rookies this year" - stick with guns n rookies. Back my gut a bit more and don't follow the crowd if you're not convinced (e.g. Sloane, Rocky, Eddy, etc).
I think the point about not over-stacking the midfield is reasonable. I think next year I'll look for a couple of young guns (e.g. M. Crouch, Oliver, Kelly) at the low price range and only get proven reliable performers otherwise.
Hold off with guys returning from long injury lay-offs (unless the price is too good to pass on) and correct later if you need to. Fyfe, JOM, Swallow, Roughy are all examples of guys who were busts as a starting pick. Can't think of anyone who was a success this year???

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Yeah I can't really think of any 2016 injured player that turned it on this season other than Marc Murphy, I guess you could include the Essendon boys like Ryder, Hibbard, Hurley.

I think next season could be the most cookie cutter of all, off the top of my head, Cripps, Fyfe, Nic Nat, Gawn, Docherty, Selwood, Gray, & there;s plenty more.