2017 Forward Primos

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Yeh I see lots of people talking him up but I've seen nothing to think he's a good option
Re: Macrae
What's been wrong with him? I watched about a half the Dogs v Brisbane game and I didn't notice anything too wrong with him (to be honest I hardly noticed him at all). I suspect the Doggies might not have been trying too hard.

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
What's been wrong with him? I watched about a half the Dogs v Brisbane game and I didn't notice anything too wrong with him (to be honest I hardly noticed him at all). I suspect the Doggies might not have been trying too hard.
Can't see much wrong with the Macrae pick either. Seemed to play midfield in the Dogs v Brisbane game and that's all I need to see. If there was any sniff of a forward line role then I'd agree with the doubters, but until then he's locked in at F2.

Reactions: Prospector

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Can't see much wrong with the Macrae pick either. Seemed to play midfield in the Dogs v Brisbane game and that's all I need to see. If there was any sniff of a forward line role then I'd agree with the doubters, but until then he's locked in at F2.
The fact that he even played at all against Brisbane suggests to me that Bevo wants to see more from him...they only played 9 from their GF team last year. He did play alright, but he only got 5 contested possessions, which is my main knock on why he won't really hurt you if you let him score against you before upgrading to him. I just think he will continue to play a lot of minutes forward (as will most of the Dogs mids) and that will continue to lower his disposal count, which due to his uncontested nature he has to keep up to average 100 and really damage those who don't pick him. I do think he's a lock to average 90-95, but I'm not picking him because I think I can get more out of Dahl and Roo the first half of the year.

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
The fact that he even played at all against Brisbane suggests to me that Bevo wants to see more from him...they only played 9 from their GF team last year. He did play alright, but he only got 5 contested possessions, which is my main knock on why he won't really hurt you if you let him score against you before upgrading to him. I just think he will continue to play a lot of minutes forward (as will most of the Dogs mids) and that will continue to lower his disposal count, which due to his uncontested nature he has to keep up to average 100 and really damage those who don't pick him. I do think he's a lock to average 90-95, but I'm not picking him because I think I can get more out of Dahl and Roo the first half of the year.
Agree with most of your comments. I actually see Macrae and Roo averaging very similar points for the year. Historically Roo has been super durable, particularly recently, but for some reason I just can't pick a 34 year old. His price is somewhat inflated too. If you take out the 187 he scored in last year's final round, he averaged 96, which is what I would expect from him again this year.

Reactions: Seppo

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
A lot of talk that Roo is in for Richo circa 2008 year where he finished equal 3rd in the Brownlow playing on the wing. Roo may well be in for a similar sort of year, but interestingly, Richo averaged a somewhat modest 97 points in 2008.

Reactions: Prospector

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Agree with most of your comments. I actually see Macrae and Roo averaging very similar points for the year. Historically Roo has been super durable, particularly recently, but for some reason I just can't pick a 34 year old. His price is somewhat inflated too. If you take out the 187 he scored in last year's final round, he averaged 96, which is what I would expect from him again this year.
I see them going fairly similarly for the year as well, but the Saints have a boatload of early games at Etihad (where Roo scores well) and I like the Bulldogs draw post-bye...so my plan is to start with Roo and upgrade to Mccrae after the bye. Simple as that...too bad it never works out that easy lol. Just quickly about that 187; he showed he has the ceiling so I'm not going to take it out of his average. For all we know he could pump out another game like that this year.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
When I said I'd hadn't seem much from Macrae it was more referring to an improvement from him I don't really want to pick a guy at 510K who's going to average 94 again, having said that lowest score a 68 and a few in the high 70's that's a great basement wouldn't take much to bump that average up,

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I see them going fairly similarly for the year as well, but the Saints have a boatload of early games at Etihad (where Roo scores well) and I like the Bulldogs draw post-bye...so my plan is to start with Roo and upgrade to Mccrae after the bye. Simple as that...too bad it never works out that easy lol. Just quickly about that 187; he showed he has the ceiling so I'm not going to take it out of his average. For all we know he could pump out another game like that this year.
Well argued. I like the Roo pick as well. When I first sat down to do my team I rated the forwards: Dollhouse, Macrae, Caddy, Roo with (at their respective prices not a heap between them). KPF I usually look at as upgrade onlys.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Not much Gunston or Lynch talk. I will be getting one of them, both play SC friendly roles, getting a lot of ball up on HF and the wing while also kicking 2 or 3 goals a game and taking contested marks. I'm leaning towards Gunston due to the GC early bye and the return of Roughy will only help his scoring.

Reactions: cactus and Seppo

Malteasers

Mar 5, 2017
A lot of talk that Roo is in for Richo circa 2008 year where he finished equal 3rd in the Brownlow playing on the wing. Roo may well be in for a similar sort of year, but interestingly, Richo averaged a somewhat modest 97 points in 2008.
and cost me a SC Grand Final win, when he went of injured in the last game and scored 6.

lenny

Development Coach
Jun 21, 2015

Its not that there is anything wrong with him as such, I just don’t see why he’s being talked up so much. I cant see him averaging more than he’s priced at and considering the dogs midfield he could average less. For me I think I can find value elsewhere, im not saying its wrong to pick him I just don’t see the hype

Reactions: Tevez17 and Benj

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Tom Lynch very close to locked right now. Of course it's just a preseason game but the Suns look very well set up and I have no doubts the forward supply will be up this season.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
@tabs and @Benj and any other Swannies out there ... what are your feelings about Buddy as a starting pick this year? Looked to be moving well in JTL3.

I want a 3rd primo after Dahl and Macrae and there are only about four other blokes who look like they qualify as actual forward line primos. I really don't like the idea of starting true KPF which puts me off starting JJK and Lynch (I might still be tempted by Lynch but I hate the R9 bye). Delidio - lol. And that pretty much only leaves Roo and Buddy ...

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
So Roo must be number one pick in the forwards then?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
@tabs and @Benj and any other Swannies out there ... what are your feelings about Buddy as a starting pick this year? Looked to be moving well in JTL3.

I want a 3rd primo after Dahl and Macrae and there are only about four other blokes who look like they qualify as actual forward line primos. I really don't like the idea of starting true KPF which puts me off starting JJK and Lynch (I might still be tempted by Lynch but I hate the R9 bye). Delidio - lol. And that pretty much only leaves Roo and Buddy ...
Swans were saying pre JLT that he might be ready for R1 from his shoulder surgery but after 120 and a 95 from the last 2 JLT games i think Buddy is ready to go. I was considering getting him after the bye but now have to rethink. $514k @ 95 ave is unders for Buddy and he is looking hungry this year. Im trying to redesign my team with buddy in it but lack of rookies looking like playing R1 isnt helping.

3 prems in your fwds means that you will be thin in another line though. Roo, Buddy, Macrae and Dal all miss R11 as well

Reactions: tiltraise

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London

Hey @cactus I reckon' Bud is a solid pick at the price. He looks super fit after carrying a lot of niggles toward the end of last year and we've already seen him willing to throw his weight around which is a good sign that he's feeling fit and strong. In terms of SC relevance, I don't think you can ever group him as a "Key Fwd" as he gets way more of the ball than that, and indeed, I think he could raise his possession count further this year if Sam Reid can stay on the park. Reid plays that true Centre Half-Forward role which frees Buddy up to hunt the ball a bit more further up the ground.

In all honesty though, I reckon' pick him if you like watching him. I think he's a safe top 10 fwd this year. I'm holding off as I think there's a bit more value to be found at R3 but he'll find his way in to Fort Bondi later in the year for sure.