2017 POD's

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Thought id start up a thread on unique players that most supercoach teams don't have. I made a short list of players that i am willing to consider but just can't due to the excess risk they have.

Luke Hodge - Probably will average 95+, durability is the main concern. Was quoted saying "it is the first time in 6years i have ticked off 80% of the preseason"
Patrick Cripps - Averaged 107 last year, has the ability to go 110-120. Is a contested beast and extremely effective, but seems to have injury concerns every 2weeks. Hasn't done a full preseason so the risk is he may drop in average.
Zach Merrett - Went big last year with an average of 111, i can't really find a reason not to pick him other than he seems over priced for a 2nd year player. He will still play on the ball, don't think there is a role for him anywhere else. Won't let you down.
Cyril Rioli - Has only average below 90 once in his last 6 seasons, with a high average of 99.6. Never plays 22 games, but it wouldnt surprise me if he went 99 again and played 22 games. I don't think he is worth considering, too many better options, and he doesnt have the ceiling.
Jack Viney - Had a 97 average last year and will definately improve on that. I feel like he is only worth picking though if you are confident he goes 110ish+.
Lachie Neale - Had a huge year without fyfe, averaged 112.6. People are concerned with fyfes inclusion, changing his role and reducing his numbers. I still think he will stay around that 110 average, don't think he will let anyone down for picking him.
Dustin Martin - Had his best supercoach season last year playing primarily in the guts and averaged 108. Is a gun clearance player, so will still get midfield minutes, but with the inclusions of prestia and caddy the minutes will drop slighty and he will get more time up forward. He is likely to kick goals up forward whereas hardwick is less likely to put cotchin, prestia and caddy in that role. His average should decrease, however he could still get 26+ touches 1-2 goals a game.
Dayne Zorko - In a similar boat to martin averaging a career best 109 last year, i liked the way he went about it last year, he has some talent. With beams and rocklift returning from injury its hard to see him getting as much of the ball he did last year, however he didn't really get much of the ball anyways with an average of 23 disposals a game. If he can get more of the pill he could improve on that 109avg.

I probably missed some players, but i just thought i would start the discussion off. Out of all these players i think Hodge, Cripps, Merrett and Neale are more worth the risk than others in a sense.

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
If you want to pick these players then play draft IMO.

More than likely you are going to end up with a POD problem rather than a POD advantage.

I think Cripps could be a legit SC pick tho, esp if his body is right.

Reactions: jester5au

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
The POD could be betting against a couple of the popular picks if you are going for the overall win rather than winning your league. Betting against Danger or Gawn or Fyfe could pay off in a big way if 80% of serious teams are on them and they get injured in the first minute of a game or something similar.

Can't do it myself. I've come second in my work cash league the last two years (no second prize) so I have to be disciplined and play the percentages a bit more.

Reactions: Prospector

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I think this year there are some safer POD's floating around. For example Luke Parker I've seen in very few teams yet he's a player entering the prime of his career with 3 years of solid scoring history behind him. Whether it is because people are preferring to go with JPK or Hanners I'm not sure but Parker looks a pretty safe bet to be a top 10 mid.

Another one is Priddis is who I think will only improve with Mitchell in the side and he is in hardly any teams right now.

Staying with WC, I don't have the stats in front of me but I remember reading that JJK has been a top 3 forward the last 3 years yet he continually gets overlooked. I know people are reluctant to run with KPF's but you can't argue with history and he has some solid consistent years behind him to show that he could be a pretty safe POD

Reactions: cactus

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
B Vince
Z toughy
K Simpson
M Boyd
JJK
Lynch
Zerrett
Smitchell

The list goes on. All worth considering but pods are pods for a reason. One or two in your team won't hurt you bit like midpricers.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
He's my pod. I know it's very risky but if it works out the advantage will be hugh mungus.
Don't mind it. I think if you're going to take a risk then you should go for someone with a massive ceiling like Gazza or Rocky because if it comes off you'll get a huge boost. Not much point taking a punt on someone if their upside is 110-115 that people will be getting from the standard pick anyway.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Joel selwood in 4.8% of teams, has gone 110+ in 6/7 previous seasons. He is in my squad atm.
Sounds like he might be in more than 4.8% of teams on this forum! One of the first midfielders I picked this year and hasn't left my team since.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
There are a lot of PODs out there, here are the comments i have of the ones you have picked

Luke Hodge - With the inclusion of Snitch and JOM, Hodge's mid time would have decreased. But now that Smitch and Jordy are gone he needs to play midfield time. In saying that i think he plays the QB role though and directs traffic from the back.
Patrick Cripps - Hearing rumours of home sickness and wants to head home to Perth. Gun and Carlton should build their team around him. Hopefully he gets some help from his team mates and doesnt have to carry the team on his back like Smurph had to
Zach Merrett - Picked in my team atm. Great talent with the sky only the limit. Only question is that with the banned boys coming back will they steal some points off him
Cyril Rioli - When he is on, he is on. Absolute freak, but will go missing some games and those hammys are a worry. Will he play 20+ games?
Jack Viney - Hard nut at the ball and loves the rough stuff. But very inclined to step too far and get suspended imo
Lachie Neale - Fyfe coming back will hurt his scores. Has a huge ceiling but also goes missing. A massive deviation
Dustin Martin - For me Dusty is more a DT player than an SC player (i have him in my DT teams) gets a lot of the ball but is very wasteful with it
Dayne Zorko - Was always selected when he had DPP as a fwd. But now as a pure mid he can go large but can also give an 80. might be able to get a 110 ave this year

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Joel selwood in 4.8% of teams, has gone 110+ in 6/7 previous seasons. He is in my squad atm.
He's been in for me since the beginning. I love the consistency, the full preseason, and the bye round.

What are the percentages for Pendles and Treloar? I currently have Pendles and am letting Treloar score against me. I feel like a very high percentage of serious players are picking Treloar and I'm not so sure his ceiling is too much higher than last year (although with the full preseason a case can be made).

Reactions: cactus

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Dustin Martin - For me Dusty is more a DT player than an SC player (i have him in my DT teams) gets a lot of the ball but is very wasteful with it
Dayne Zorko - Was always selected when he had DPP as a fwd. But now as a pure mid he can go large but can also give an 80. might be able to get a 110 ave this year
Too right, tabs!

Reactions: tabs

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Selwood could be a SCC community unique type by the looks of it, like Danger and Goldy were in 2015. I'm rolling with Selwood and also Priddis at this stage.