Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Having alot of trouble trying to figure out who I think will be top 8 by years end,
Dangerfield, Hannebery, Treloar, Bontempeli, Fyfe, are my main mids (plus one break out around 500K) at the moment,
when i start to think about the blokes not in my team my head starts to hurt, Pendles, JPK, Parker, Selwood, Neale, Rockliff plus many more.. :confused:

You're not the only one with this problem ... :(

RichardC89

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 4, 2015
One guy I don't see getting any run is Tom Mitchell. I've had him in my team from day one.

Feel like players at new clubs typically have strong first years, he will be on ball 85% of every game. I don't think it's outlandish to say he could average 30 disposals and 7 tackles. Yes, disposal efficiency is a concern - but he has averaged 104 the past two years with that same average disposal in a more stacked midfield. Wouldn't shock me if that went to 110-115 in his first season with Hawthorn, and at $565k, that's a consideration.

Thoughts?

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Is anyone going to start jobe watson/heppell. I havent heard much about jobe. Averages of.

Should play on the ball.

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Is anyone going to start jobe watson/heppell. I havent heard much about jobe. Averages of.

Should play on the ball.

They're saying Jobe will play more forward than midfield, Heppell I was very keen on a few weeks back but came to the conclusion even not taking the year out into account I think he might be better suited to AFL Fantasy/Dream Team.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Hmmm not sold on the Bont

Sell him to me......
On the +ve side:
He's a class act who is still improving; he spent a lot of time fwd in the first few rounds of 2016; he's the go-to man for the Doggies; Champion Data love him.
If he follows a similar trajectory to Fyfe this is the year he is likely to go big.
Fyfe's SC scoring: 72.6, 108, 93.2 (inj.), 106.5, 122.3, 124.3, 105.4
Bontompelli's SC scoring: 78.6, 103.2, 107.7, 120+?

On the -ve side:
As premiers the Doggies have gone from hunters to hunted; Bontompelli is likely to be heavily targeted; with the change in the 3rd man up rule he will lose points - 63 hit-outs -> 2.5/match -> up to 12.5 points/match lost if all his hit-outs are to advantage, 5 points/match if only one is to advantage.

So: how do you balance his up-side and the CD love against loss of hit-out points and being targeted?
Me: I think I'll wait and see how things go before I pick him.

LATER:
According to the Prospectus, there were 13 players who rotated between mid-fwd for the Doggies in 2016. Of these, Bontompelli spent the most time as a mid but even so this was still only 70%.
According to my calculations 12 of their mid-fwds had at least 1 x 100+SC game.
Is the mid role spread too widely, and the SC points shared by too many, for Bontompelli to score elite?

Last edited:

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
One guy I don't see getting any run is Tom Mitchell. I've had him in my team from day one.

Feel like players at new clubs typically have strong first years, he will be on ball 85% of every game. I don't think it's outlandish to say he could average 30 disposals and 7 tackles. Yes, disposal efficiency is a concern - but he has averaged 104 the past two years with that same average disposal in a more stacked midfield. Wouldn't shock me if that went to 110-115 in his first season with Hawthorn, and at $565k, that's a consideration.

Thoughts?
DT yes dont think so for SC

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
On the +ve side:
He's a class act who is still improving; he spent a lot of time fwd in the first few rounds of 2016; he's the go-to man for the Doggies; Champion Data love him.
If he follows a similar trajectory to Fyfe this is the year he is likely to go big.
Fyfe's SC scoring: 72.6, 108, 93.2 (inj.), 106.5, 122.3, 124.3, 105.4
Bontompelli's SC scoring: 78.6, 103.2, 107.7, 120+?

On the -ve side:
As premiers the Doggies have gone from hunters to hunted; Bontompelli is likely to be heavily targeted; with the change in the 3rd man up rule he will lose points - 63 hit-outs -> 2.5/match -> up to 12.5 points/match lost if all his hit-outs are to advantage, 5 points/match if only one is to advantage.

So: how do you balance his up-side and the CD love against loss of hit-out points and being targeted?
Me: I think I'll wait and see how things go before I pick him.

LATER:
According to the Prospectus, there were 13 players who rotated between mid-fwd for the Doggies in 2016. Of these, Bontompelli spent the most time as a mid but even so this was still only 70%.
According to my calculations 12 of their mid-fwds had at least 1 x 100+SC game.
Is the mid role spread too widely, and the SC points shared by too many, for Bontompelli to score elite?
Great write up. Your -ve remarks have confirmed my no status on him

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Bont averaged 2.54 HO & 0.77 HOTA which equates to only 3.85 points per game, personally I'd rather have him have 2.54 more chances at getting the clearance.

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016

Thoughts?
Was my first picked player this year, and he'll stay in my team all pre-season and year unless injured. Yes I'm a hawks fan and could be a little biased but when you look at it Sydney used him as a tagger in some games last year, he was around multiple elite Supercoach midfielders who averaged 111+, he will be hawks #1 mid and is an absolute ball magnet tackling machine. Plus I don't really see the he's only viable in DT point, looking at his scores in both DT/SC last year they didn't actually vary that much. Solid option in both fantasy games for myself.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Another thought on Bontompelli.
He has a rnd.11 bye along with Rocky and Beams; JPK, Hanners and Parker; Cripps, Gibbs and Murphy etc
Is he a better starter than these?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Another thought on Bontompelli.
He has a rnd.11 bye along with Rocky and Beams; JPK, Hanners and Parker; Cripps, Gibbs and Murphy etc
Is he a better starter than these?

Yeah better starter than all bar Hanners & maybe Parker though interrupted pre-season.

Jan 28, 2017
just tossing up some of the best players over the weekend of the JLT what does people think of Sam Menegola, Josh Kelly, Aaron Hall, Jobe Watson and Dayne Zorko will any of them be considered as potential keepers?

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
So ... Treloar. Seems very popular with lots of smart coaches this year. Averaged real primo numbers for the first time last year. Very durable. Should be entering the peak part of his career. Has a SC friendly game although he does chop it up a bit (just from my observation I haven't actually looked at his DE). If he could tidy up his dispoal he'd get some damn impressive SC numbers.

So can anyone make any sort of a case against this guy? For some reason I feel like I'd quite like to take him on but I'm finding it hard to find a down side to him. Baring injury it is hard to see him doing much worse than last year ...

Reactions: Prospector

GeneralHodge

Feb 22, 2017
So ... Treloar. Seems very popular with lots of smart coaches this year. Averaged real primo numbers for the first time last year. Very durable. Should be entering the peak part of his career. Has a SC friendly game although he does chop it up a bit (just from my observation I haven't actually looked at his DE). If he could tidy up his dispoal he'd get some damn impressive SC numbers.

So can anyone make any sort of a case against this guy? For some reason I feel like I'd quite like to take him on but I'm finding it hard to find a down side to him. Baring injury it is hard to see him doing much worse than last year ...
The only case against him is he has only been elite for 1 season and where the hell does Collingwood finish this year.

I'm in a similar boat with Hanners. Really don't want to pick him as I enjoy watching him lose. However, I already have Danger, Treloar, Fyfe and think he is probably next best.

hawker

4-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Both these guys in Treloar and Hanners are locked for me and also struggle to come up with any cases against them. Only an injury will stop them from being in my lineup ...

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
The only case against him is he has only been elite for 1 season and where the hell does Collingwood finish this year.

I'm in a similar boat with Hanners. Really don't want to pick him as I enjoy watching him lose. However, I already have Danger, Treloar, Fyfe and think he is probably next best.
Yeah. There are a few teams including Collingwood and Richmond where I think it is very difficult to predict where they will finish and injury (or no injuries) to key players is likely to be the deciding factor. The best 22 teams at Richmond and Collingwood look pretty strong and I could see them finishing quite high up the ladder but the list depth especially around key position players is poor so a few key injuries could really see them struggle. Doesn't help when you are trying to line up SC prospects.

Reactions: Prospector